Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

Gonzo wrote: »
    not sure what is falling out of the sky here, looks like freezing drizzle.

Similar difficulties here Gonzo! Gotten heavier. Looks currently like some sort of graupel/wet snow mix. Trying to cover, but there is a certain level of melting too.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

Sparks wrote: »
    Wait, I was alive in 1982, do you know something I don't? :D

I don’t know how to break this to you...

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Sariah

Seems to be changing to sleet now and there is a light frosting on the windows and i can see some white through the lighting compared to earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Claire6

Graupel falling in Passage West.... Very excited for what's to come. Patience wearing thin listening to the naysayers.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

If it really was rain and it caused the snow to melt (as it seems to be doing in places), there’s going to be major questions asked of ME - especially considering their latest forecast mentioning a METRE of snow in parts of Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

All this lying snow...when will we have the truth.?

I'd get my coat only for the impending blizzard:D

No blizzard here. Only rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Loughc wrote: »
    Still some lying but mostly melting away from the rain. Reckon it’ll be all gone by morning

LOL

The storm hasn't hit yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I really hope its not normal rain, but either very light hail or freezing rain thats being reported. I doubt rte would broadcast about the snow so recently if it was currently turning to rain in dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

MidMan25 wrote: »
    A mod saying all their snow in Dublin would be washed away by the morning!
    More chance of a threesome with Scarlet Johansson and Charlize Theron than snow washed away by the morn considering what's to come later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

tscul32 wrote: »
    I'm off the same road too and stuck my arm out - very fine ice/snow, windscreens of cars are dusted again.

Yeh. I am on the coast and if it were raining then the snow wood have melting. This snizzle is depositing. Very small dusting but dusting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Back to proper snowflakes now in Dublin 5 (still quite small though). Those small fine particles of snow were surprisingly good at sticking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Minister

Rain here in Waterford. Possibly end of snow spell. Nothing more than a gentle breeze either.

I am not trolling; just commenting on how it feels when I stand outside my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I'm in Cork city (Sunday's Well area) and there is nothing! No snow in hours.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

LOL

The storm hasn't hit yet.

Has it not? I thought it’s already started hence the rain?

Sure even it if snows now it won’t settle with all the rain we just had here now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Stheno wrote: »
    Fun fact Ireland is third highest in the world in terms of wind generated energy

And a more worrying one - as a result, we are a major cause of the slow down in the speed of rotation of the earth - if all countries on earth had the proportion of turbines that we do, the earth could come close to stopping altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

Just stuck my head out the window, and to be honest I'm not sure if it's lightly raining or there's some very fine snow falling. It's -3 here so probably too cold for rain, but it feels like light rain. Also way darker than last night. Wind is dying down again. Very confused. Tipp/Kilkenny border. On the plus side I just had Christmas pudding whilst listening to Christmas FM, and I have the wine chilling in the fridge. Might not be getting the epic weather here, but definitely enjoying ourselves none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Just stuck my arm out the window in Malahide. Black fleece came back in white.

100% graupel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Very light snow here in cork city and it's sticking. Blizzards where are u?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,360 ✭✭✭roosterman71

All quiet in Moate. Snow stopped too for the last hour or so

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I hope people don't think I'm trolling, it really is raining at Grange, Dublin 13.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Sure even it if snows now it won’t settle with all the rain we just had here now.

Just wait.

Even if it lashed rain for an hour temperatures everywhere are below freezing and the leading edge of snow events very often has warmer & wetter precip which quickly turns to snow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Graupel falling in D7.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭busymum1

Changed from drizzle to fine wet snow in Western suburbs Cork City. It's sticking and seems to be getting heavier.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭adam240610

LEIN wrote: »
    -0.6C

Moderate snow and drifting.

Wanna bet if North or South Greystones ends up with more in the morning? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

Feckin hell, i just opened the front door to have a nosey out, there was easily 150mm of snow that accumulated against the door - which subsequently collapsed and fell inwards towards me, and made it quite difficult to get the door to lock again (the snow was interfering with the locking mechanism)

Seems to have melted now (the snow that was jammed in the door and door frame) allowing me to get the handle back into locking position.

What's it going to be like in the morning lol

Where??

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Here we go!

dc70c015f686e5f38d7a4be992fbba58.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

You seem to have your own micro climate there.

And yes it will settle if there’s a day of snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

joes girls wrote: »
    Help needed, how do I keep my sensor light on. Have tried hanging things out of it but they keep blowing away. I'm wearing away the floor walking to the switch to flick it on:D

You can force some of these sensor floidlights on by doing a rapid on-off-on-off with the switch. Similar to drop it back to sensor mode?

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

SryanBruen says its raining in Grange!!!

Even assuming the rain reports are just a transitionary/warm sector thing, is this snow grain stuff going to transition to big huge flakes of wetter snow because if it doesn't, I can't image more than a few centimeters in 24 hours and magnitudes lower than some of the estimates bandied about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Lashing rain now in Dublin 18 :( The previous snowfall is just turning to slush

I'm in D18 too, absolutely not rain here, the roads have turned white after being slush all day

Advertisement