Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"Where's my horse?" Owner claims Garda told him to "Check Tesco"

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,537 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Can you show us where the officer showed no due respect please? I'd love to see this proof if you don't mind
    The bit where he jokes about the horse ending up minced and resold as beef.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

Overheal wrote: »
    The bit where he jokes about the horse ending up minced and resold as beef.

So no proof then, thanks

So no proof then, thanks
    As much proof as telling a cop to **** off then

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

I dunno lads, I used to have the greatest respect for the Gardaí but I'll tell you, over the last year or so I've seen some events that have badly shaken my confidence. They've stopped acting like members of the community, knowing what they can legally do and they exploit that to its fullest extent, and the ombudsman is of little use either.

Any time you hear or see "the decision is left to the discretion of the officer" you may rest assured some bollocks is tearing the hole off it, appointed judge, jury and executioner. And more shame on the courts for supporting them.

Take it or leave it, whichever you like, I'm not bothered.

As much proof as telling a cop to **** off then

He admitted that himself.

• Advertisement

He admitted that himself.

"
    He only reacted to a Garda Sergeant telling him that “the only way I will only get the horse back is off a shelf in Tesco as burger meat.”
    He had since got two of his horses back from the pound but one was still missing and he had instituted legal proceedings to have it returned.
    Stating he was sure Sergeant Burke didn’t dispose of the horse in the manner suggested by Mr Walsh, Judge O’Kelly said he could assure him of that.
    “I am not accepting that the Sergeant said that. I hope that he didn’t say it but he is not in court to answer that claim”.
    However Ms Ryan said it was not the first time she heard the claim.
    “Another young man told me that when he asked where his horse was, a garda detective told him to ‘check Tesco’”, she said.
    Adjourning the case for six months, Judge O’Kelly said that Mr Walsh admitted he had a poor record in the past but that he offered an explanation for his reaction."

"
    He only reacted to a Garda Sergeant telling him that “the only way I will only get the horse back is off a shelf in Tesco as burger meat.”
    He had since got two of his horses back from the pound but one was still missing and he had instituted legal proceedings to have it returned.
    Stating he was sure Sergeant Burke didn’t dispose of the horse in the manner suggested by Mr Walsh, Judge O’Kelly said he could assure him of that.
    “I am not accepting that the Sergeant said that. I hope that he didn’t say it but he is not in court to answer that claim”.
    However Ms Ryan said it was not the first time she heard the claim.
    “Another young man told me that when he asked where his horse was, a garda detective told him to ‘check Tesco’”, she said.
    Adjourning the case for six months, Judge O’Kelly said that Mr Walsh admitted he had a poor record in the past but that he offered an explanation for his reaction."

Yes, this was in the OP not sure what you think quoting it again achieves.
    Still doesn't make it true, and again, not a jot of proof provided.
    Will let you be now, thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Yes, this was in the OP not sure what you think quoting it again achieves.
    Still doesn't make it true, and again, not a jot of proof provided.
    Will let you be now, thanks again

Yet, you've made it your mission in life to believe a garda that didnt turn up for court! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

The fact that she's head this allegation from someone else would suggest that it could be part f a wider pattern of obnoxious relations between the gardai in that area and members of the public.

Incidentally, why are there laws against being rude to the police but no reciprocal laws against police being rude to members of the public...?

Dempsey wrote: »
    Yet, you've made it your mission in life to believe a garda that didnt turn up for court! :rolleyes:

Didn't turn up? Was a warrant issued for his arrest?
    A little check on court procedure will explain why the garda wasn't there.
    I see your rolleyes & raise you ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

The career criminal had made an allegation, the judge had to address it.
    Since clairvoyancy is a sham, I presume that the judge thought the same of this guy's defence.
    I doubt I've ever seen a more intolerant class distinctive load of nonsense in my life. You know Hitler also considered crime a trait!

The point I'm making is that the Judge wasn't there. He like the Gardai has to operate within the confines of good sense and logic. There are as many scum bag Gardai out there as there are good ones and Judges know it. I don't think his position affords him the right to assume what was or wasn't said in a situation he wasn't privy to.

It must be great to be a perfect citizen Howard!!!

MyKeyG wrote: »
    I doubt I've ever seen a more intolerant class distinctive load of nonsense in my life. You know Hitler also considered crime a trait!

The point I'm making is that the Judge wasn't there. He like the Gardai has to operate within the confines of good sense and logic. There are as many scum bag Gardai out there as there are good ones and Judges know it. I don't think his position affords him the right to assume what was or wasn't said in a situation he wasn't privy to.

It must be great to be a perfect citizen Howard!!!

I think your claim that 'there are as many scumbag! Gardai out there as there are good ones" shows the mentality of certain people, and it has nothing to do with class I'm afraid.

Didn't turn up? Was a warrant issued for his arrest?
    A little check on court procedure will explain why the garda wasn't there.
    I see your rolleyes & raise you ;)
    Funny, in my country when a police officer doesn't show up to court it doesn't end very favorably for the officer. Every traffic ticket, every charged offense, however minor, gets a day in court, and if the officer doesn't attend then his chances of winning any protest by the defendant are usually slim. Whether its a requirement of law, I do not know, but officers make it a practice to attend all of their hearings.

I take his absence to be an indication of nolo contendre. The act of an officer that doesn't have the integrity to stand behind his own words. It tarnishes his uniform and everyone who wears it.
    I think your claim that 'there are as many scumbag! Gardai out there as there are good ones" shows the mentality of certain people, and it has nothing to do with class I'm afraid.
    Among other things, there have been a number of studies to show that among police there is a high degree of agressive tendencies and predispositions within the ranks. Not surprising. For instance, one study demonstrated that Police households experience domestic violence at a rate twice that as an ordinary household. And in my own personal experience at AGS Carlow I've seen Officers on duty ridiculing the petitions of people that come in looking for help, treating them especially as ignoramuses for not being fluent in English. Sad to say that I show far more respect to people that don't understand the difference between a hard drive and a modem.

Funny, in my country when a police officer doesn't show up to court it doesn't end very favorably for the officer. Every traffic ticket, every charged offense, however minor, gets a day in court, and if the officer doesn't attend then his chances of winning any protest by the defendant are usually slim.

Whether its a requirement of law, I do not know, but officers make it a practice to attend all of their hearings. I take his absence to be an indication of nolo contendre. The act of an officer that doesn't have the integrity to stand behind his own words. It tarnishes his uniform and everyone who wears it.

Pity you don't understand Irish procedures then isn't it.

Pity you don't understand Irish procedures then isn't it.
    Don't be a dick. If you like, you can contribute those procedures to this thread.

Either way thats a pathetic excuse for the officer's actions.

Mod

Let's not get personal lads please.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

What exactly makes you so certain that the statement isn't true...?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Mod

Let's not get personal lads please.
    Could I ask why it's appropriate for someone on this page to describe somebody as 'a career criminal' when there's no basis for the accusation? Or are you of a similar mind to the user in question? Mods on boards go lunatic over people defaming or making comments regarding the character of people. Is it allowed on this occasion because the man in question is from Moyross???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

Gardai are recruited from the general public so there are bound to be a % of dickheads just like the % of dickheads on every thread on boards.ie

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Gardai are recruited from the general public so there are bound to be a % of dickheads just like the % of dickheads on every thread on boards.ie
    Actually Jews and Muslims are under represented in the Gardaí. When Alan Shatter was asked about it he dismissed any claims that it was sectarian. "We don't usually accept people who have been circumcised because we are only looking to recruit complete pricks."

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,346 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Only a certain type of person of the population go to be Gardaí it is not a general cross section of the population. Some would say only aggressive people want to be Gardaí. So it is no way a correlation between the population and those who want to be Gardaí.

There is a natural bias on those that become Gardaí. From my own personal experience I have known them to be rude, antagonistic and aggressive for no apparent reason. I also remember their family be allowed get away with things include one particularly vile son who left somebody with a very nasty scare on their face.

It is a matter of time before they will have to carry personal CCTV. I really wish I had video footage of some of their behaviour towards me alone having never been in trouble with the law.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 muck_raker

Actually Jews and Muslims are under represented in the Gardaí. When Alan Shatter was asked about it he dismissed any claims that it was sectarian. "We don't usually accept people who have been circumcised because we are only looking to recruit complete pricks."

their are less than 1500 jews in the entire country so I doubt they are that underrepresented and most guards come from outside Dublin where the vast majority of jews and muslims live

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 muck_raker

its a very well paid job for the level of qualification required , why are you so surprised that a comparable level of scumbags would join , AGS is rampant with internal politics , I know thoroughly decent low ranking guards who should have been promoted but they didn't - wouldn't play the game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

They certainly know how to pick mods on boards.ie

Advertisement