Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The "Today I did something to my bike" thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Today I agreed to go on a basic bike maintenance course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Today I agreed to go on a basic bike maintenance course :)

Where is that on, I missed out on the last one that leppla off here is on. And how much wiz?

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭rat_race

I'd like to do a slightly more advanced one...the basic ones are too basic for most of us (regulars on this forum), from what I've learned...

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Where is that on, I missed out on the last one that leppla off here is on. And how much wiz?

This is it here http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/4309592

120 euro for 10 weeks
    rat_race wrote: »
    I'd like to do a slightly more advanced one...the basic ones are too basic for most of us (regulars on this forum), from what I've learned...

I rang the guy running it. I wasn't sure if the basic one or the next one up would suit me. But the basic one didn't sound basic to me. It will involve stripping engines and seeing how they work and other parts on the bike. It includes engine theory.

I know I'll enjoy it and learn a few things from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

120 euro for 10 weeks

I rang the guy running it. I wasn't sure if the basic one or the next one up would suit me. But the basic one didn't sound basic to me. It will involve stripping engines and seeing how they work and other parts on the bike. It includes engine theory.

Cheers for that link, I haven't got the cash at the moment, but I imagine it will be run again latter this year.

• Advertisement

Sounds Perfect....will see if I can swing it as I too would need the basic course. I can service my Yamaha but I would not be overly confident of doing a different make and model. I would love to be stripping engines etc......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I was lazy all day today avoided going out to sort out the bike. Anyway I had to go out in the dark with a head-torch just to adjust and lube the chain. At least it is done now.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭rat_race

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Sounds Perfect....will see if I can swing it as I too would need the basic course. I can service my Yamaha but I would not be overly confident of doing a different make and model. I would love to be stripping engines etc......

I'll do it too. I called these before, and they seem pretty relaxed in terms of changing courses (I got the impression you could attend basic & advanced if you wanted)...

Had a quick blast with leppla this morning, from Meath to Trim for brekkie, then around the locality....its was a super day for bikes. Cold as **** but dry and nice....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

None of those bike maintenence courses in the West I suppose?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

Went all out getting the new chain and sprockets

Armature mistake. Didn't have a big enough socket to get the back wheel off.

Felt very foolish.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

None of those bike maintenence courses in the West I suppose?

Wish there was. Would love to do the basics myself but too scared to try

Join Ireland Weather Network

thecivvie wrote: »

If you are like me relatively new to biking the longer you have your current bike the more you want to do with it. When I got my FZ6 just over 13mths ago I would just about put petrol in it. Now after her next service I am thinking off replacing the fork oil to a slightly heavier oil to stop the dive on the brakes...might need a hand but I wont after doing it once.

Blu3orion off here did his FZ6 and the differnce is quite big regarding the dive on the front forks.

Would doing that to the forks not make it more of a bumpier ride?

I've the same bike and the front does dip a lot.

No, changing the oil to a slightly heavier consistency helps all round. Blu3 was saying it helps with the brakes and turning into corners and powering out of them too. I am sure he can explain it a hell of alot better then me....It does not affect the ride comfort as its a slight change in oil nothing extreme. But I seen the dip on his now to mine and its alot.

I taught it was because I had the EBC pads and Hell brakes lines that made it dip like that due to the power of my brakes....but I will change over if its that good.

Sure post back when you get that done. Maybe I'll catch ya on a Sunday run and see it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

Would doing that to the forks not make it more of a bumpier ride?

I've the same bike and the front does dip a lot.

I put 10wt fork oil in to mine, I think the Yamaha oil is 0wt or 1wt not 100% sure. I don't think the fork oil was ever changed so it had lost some of its viscosity and the dive got allot worst this year.

All I did was take out the fork's, took out the contents and then emptied out the oil, it was grey!

Borrowed one of these to measure the air gap when filling them up based on the figures from the web/haynes manual.

The difference;
    Coming out of corners hard I use to get a head shake, which is completely gone now.

Dive is much better. One of the consequences of using a heavier fork oil is that the rebound is slower, however, I haven't found this to be an issue and I wouldn't be the slowest out there.

Breaking has improved, I no longer get the feeling that the front tire is going to give way under heavy breaking as the forks don't bottom out as quick.

I haven't noticed if it is more or less bumpier, if it is its barely noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You will probably find that just changing the oil for fresh stuff will make a difference, over time it gets contaminated with metal particles from the valve stack and bushes.
    New/Heavier springs will help with dive more than heavier oil, Oil viscosity affects rebound and compression both and can give a harsh ride in colder weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I need to get a new rear brake disc for my 125 Varadero.

Does anyone know if Kyoto discs are any good? They are the budget guys, and I'd like to keep costs low enough if I can.

Being told it's 99 euro for a rear disc from Lee Honda, but apparently can get a Kyoto one online for 70ish.

So, any experience with them?

Thanks.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

120 euro for 10 weeks

Thanks for posting this, I've been dying to do a course like this for ages- this looks perfect, I just called the guy and he said there is no booking places, its show up and first come first served. I’m definitely going to do it.

Anyone else game?

• Advertisement

Trying to rack a few sheckles together and see if I can swing this....I will have to fly up from Meath. What nights are people doing...Tuesday?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I'm doing Tuesday, I need the beginners course i know only the very basics right now. Can't wait to learn a bit more about mechanics and engines etc in general!

Zascar wrote: »
    I'm doing Tuesday, I need the beginners course i know only the very basics right now. Can't wait to learn a bit more about mechanics and engines etc in general!

Yep...that would be ideal for me also. I will give ya a buzz in a short.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Today I rang a guy in the UK and arranged buying his KTM 990SMR as soon as possible. Just have to sell my 950 now!:pac:

I think I can speak for everyone here when I say: I hate you...
    :pac:

Fair play man, wear well!

Zascar wrote: »

I think I can speak for everyone here when I say: I hate you...
    :pac:

Fair play man, wear well!

Hopefully it all works out anyway! Have a few people asking about the 950. Smr has full akra evo system fitted so that's a nice free extra!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

thecivvie wrote: »

I'm the opposite, I'm willing to chance doing it myself! Hopped on a bike for the first time ever just over a month ago. Since then I've changed the oil, oil filter, air filter, spark plugs, engine coolant all myself.
    Youtube is great for that kind of thing. The old man used to be a car mechanic so he'd have an idea of how to fit spark plugs etc.

Would like to play around with gears, forks, valve clearances, etc. but I think I'll leave it to the pros.

Wouldnt have a clue how to do anything else though. I'd like to know much more!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Stuck the optimate on the Deauville and covered the K1100 :) hopefully tomorrow evening is not so cold as I have to head to Galway for work

Join Ireland Weather Network

I changed my sprockets and chains this week.

How long do I have to drive around like a nun? I was told to take it easy for a while. How long is that?

My last chain was an O-ring and somehow it developed a tight spot really quickly and didn't last long. This is a gold X-ring so I'm hoping this will be better.

• Advertisement

I changed my sprockets and chains this week.

How long do I have to drive around like a nun? I was told to take it easy for a while. How long is that?

My last chain was an O-ring and somehow it developed a tight spot really quickly and didn't last long. This is a gold X-ring so I'm hoping this will be better.

Just do what you normally do. Chains work right from the off. Sure they are constantly replaced on race bikes and never bed in

Advertisement