Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

• 19-02-2006 12:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭

Men, this must be the least used thread in all boards.ie, right?

Anyway, has anybody heard the new Prince album "3121". Listened to the single a number of times and think it is great.

No news on a tour either.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

I am not going to talk to myself!!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

My god, somebody uses the funk section!

Yeah, 3121 looks excellent. Which single you listened to? There are 3 tracks available for legal download and unofficially, my favourite, Fury, esp. the live version from SNL.

The album's not out for another few weeks - no news on a tour, but he'll probably tour Europe. Hope he comes here - there was a 7 year gap between the last 2 concerts in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

Can't wait for him to tour. I'd love to see him live.

I last saw him live in 1988! Missed the 2002 gig at the point and if he really comes to Europe I might even travel to the UK or so to see him.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Jay Ru

there is a strong possibilty that he cud be one of the headline acts for the electric picnic this year. please GOD let it be true:)

• Advertisement

That would just be it: Prince headlines Electric Picnic!!! Let us all pray that this dream comes true

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭silat liam

E4 have now start showing the Prince music video "Black Sweat" it looks very good, Great to see him back on full form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Just getting into Prince recently, must catch him live soon...

Dunno why this board isnt more active, someone start some threads! :D

... it is edgier than "Musicology" and I dare to say it is Prince´s best album in the last 10 years (including all the albums he did using different names). As usual the first song "3121" itself is a bit weird and typical Prince and the album picks up speed and Prince delivers one smasher after another.

It is actually better the second time around and I always had to listen to Princes´s work a couple of time.

The return of a genius!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 KarlosIRL

I've really enjoyed the album so far. The Title track blew me away on first listen with it's awesome guitar lick and for me it harps back to some of the more edgier stuff on the crystal ball sessions like acknowledge me. Black Sweat oozes with funk and has been getting some serious radio and danceflor play here in Toronto - the kids are even feeling it!:cool:

Other favourites are Fury, Love and the new re-working of the dance.

Quality stuff and in my eyes not a return to form - the form never went away. Rainbow Children, Musicology, One Night Alone Piano & Vocal, Kamasutra, N.E.W.S. are all quality pieces of work although each being very different. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,935 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Excellent stuff from Prince, back to where he belongs

Straight in to No.1 in the US

Excellent stuff from Prince, back to where he belongs

Straight in to No.1 in the US

Bang on correct!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭mazroo

I got the album alright... EXCELLENT.. I really loved beautiful loved and blessed.. and black sweat.. excelent. I was a bit weary as I only liked a max of 4 songs from musicology and LOVING Prince I really didnt want to be disapointed.. not a chance. Class album. sexy,funky, this is prince man... he is back.... YAY..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

3121 is another excellent Prince album (he has at least 20 others imo). Now if only he would open up his vaults and get together with Warner Bros. so they can start remastering his 80's albums...

Men, this must be the least used thread in all boards.ie, right?

hard to find people in this country that are really into funk and soul. the funk/soul section that was in hmv seems to have disappeared, and the tower records one is getting smaller every year. having said that, james brown seems to be very popular here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 funkyone

kinaldo wrote:
    hard to find people in this country that are really into funk and soul. the funk/soul section that was in hmv seems to have disappeared, and the tower records one is getting smaller every year. having said that, james brown seems to be very popular here.

We seem to be in the minority alright.
    Im a huge Prince fan and P funk fan.
    I have over 700 Prince concerts on boot and over 100 P Funk on booth.
    George Clinton is touring Europe in July again.
    Hopefully this year he will stop off again.
    The show last year was up with the best ever I was at.
    I think one of the best ever was the Prince concert in 2002,The ONA tour.
    I got in to the soundcheck.Sitting 3rd row centre for it and it lasted just under an hour.Then the main show which lasted 2 and 3/4 hours and then on to Spirit nite club for the Aftershow which lasted another 1 1/4 hours and no song rpeeated twice over the 3 shows.What a night.
    Hopefully will see u all in Dublin when George/Prince comes????????

If you can stand American Idol, Prince played a couple of songs (Lolita and Satisfied) on the final episode this week in the US. I believe it's shown on TV3 this weekend, Saturday evening and Sunday morning.

Apparently he's on near the end, after the contestants and before the voting, so you can avoid a lot of dross.

There is a PRINCE thread in the ROCK/METAL section :D Prince belongs anywhere where there is music. He is a genius

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Bigeamo

First day on the boards and a joy to come across people who appreciate the man and the music.

I'm another big fan, and just to comment on the above, an inside source has told me that Prince is being lined up as the surprise headline act for the Electric Picnic. It is not a 100% done deal, but it is looking likely.

Still waiting for "Ultimate" to be released, looking forward to hearing what the classics sound like after getting the "digitally remastered" treatment. Disk 2 promises to be great as well.

3121 is a great album. I just hope he hasn't settled. I think that the last 2 albums have been crowd pleasers rather than pushing the envelope. That said Rainbow Children and NEWS were probably pushing it a little bit too far.

Bigeamo wrote:
    I think that the last 2 albums have been crowd pleasers rather than pushing the envelope. That said Rainbow Children and NEWS were probably pushing it a little bit too far.

Agreed, but it was obviously important for PRINCE to get some fans back and to go mainstream again. Knowing the man well I am sure he will come up with something bizarre somewhen anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Prince at EP would be amazing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭seanironmaiden

I'll go mental if Prince plays Electric Picnic. I'm gonna be in Barcelona but I'd fly over if there was a chance of gettin' a ticket. I doubt he is but it's not unlike him to show up at the last minute.

Anyway.. 3121, I love it. I still can't stop comparing Fury to the live version from SNL. It's sooo much better live than on the album. I know all his stuff is better live but Fury is exceptionally better. it's a bit tame on the album. But still class

It looks like 21st August for Ultimate. I'm really looking forward to this one. I know that it looks like another Greatest Hits, but sooo many of these songs will benefit from the digital remastering. And the rare mixes on the second disk have my mouth watering...

Generally I'm not a fan of Digital Remasters. Does anyone remember the James Brown with Full Force album from the 80's where he added static? One of the songs was even called "Static", all about the need for imperfections to get the real sound of music.

That said, I think that Prince is such a perfectionist that he wants us to hear the songs the way he does (in his head). I always thought that the Batman Album was as close as he could come to this.

As for Prince live V Prince recorded, just watch him play with Lenny Kravitz on Rave to the Year 2000. I always feel that Prince enjoys the live shows but the recording studio is his job. Does that make sense?

Still no positive tour news, which I don't mind as I'll be away for the E.P. Maybe his latest divorce has delayed things.

If anyone's looking for Ultimate, the cheapest I can find is Play.com - have it for Stg £8.95 Delivered.

Keep if funky!

Got Ultimate at lunchtime. I transfered it onto my MP3 here in work and will listen to it (disk 2 anyway) on the train going home. All of the remixes are 6 mins plus (except Cream). I may have to miss my stop...

I reckon this brings me up to 37 Prince albums (including a couple of bootlegs and I have 2 versions of the Black Album). One I don't have is the "If I was Prince" tribute album. Anybody got it/heard it? Is it worth a tenner (sterling) of my hard earned?

Bigeamo wrote:
    Got Ultimate at lunchtime. I transfered it onto my MP3 here in work and will listen to it (disk 2 anyway) on the train going home. All of the remixes are 6 mins plus (except Cream). I may have to miss my stop...

I reckon this brings me up to 37 Prince albums (including a couple of bootlegs and I have 2 versions of the Black Album). One I don't have is the "If I was Prince" tribute album. Anybody got it/heard it? Is it worth a tenner (sterling) of my hard earned?

I also picked it up today at lunch time, mainly for disc 2, although having a few hits remastered can't hurt. The only thing new to me is the Pop Life Special Dance Mix (not to be confused with the longer extended version found on the UK 12"). Great song and a cool mix. Very happy with it despite so many notable omissions like Erotic City and Love or Money. Art work was very well done too.

Firstly, it is excellent.

Secondly, maybe it's a little light on anything new. The remixes aren't that rare...

As far as Greatest Hits, the 3 cd package is still by far the best (as you would expect) but this is still very very good. I love the remastered My Name Is Prince. Sharp, sharp, sharp.

Advertisement