Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
06-04-2021, 22:24   #76
Surreptitious
Registered User
 
Surreptitious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 7,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by banoffe2 View Post
Not a trace of Dylan McGrath or his pal Mick Munier for years now
McGrath, I think his place closed down and he might have relocated. I do recall him having a steak gaff in Dublin for a while.
Surreptitious is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
06-04-2021, 22:30   #77
Aongus Von Bismarck
Registered User
 
Aongus Von Bismarck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiverman View Post
Richard Corrigan ?
Richard Corrigan is many things, but boring isn't one of them. Bentley's Oyster Bar & Grill in London is an absolutely brilliant place to eat the very best of seafood, and he's a passionate advocate for Irish produce. The type of place where time seems to stand still. Also serves a splendid pint of Guinness, which, as some of you many know, isn't always easy to find in London.

He's also a wonderful bon vivant and raconteur.
Aongus Von Bismarck is offline  
06-04-2021, 22:46   #78
NickNickleby
Registered User
 
NickNickleby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickNickleby View Post
Saw him doing one of his restaurant 'rescues' years ago. There was a young lad in the kitchen, a bit slow I thought. But good ol' hardman Ramsay decided here was a handy punchbag. Slapping the young lad across the back of the head a number of times, and the lad going down liked a whipped dog and slouching off out of harms way till the next instructive slap. I remember the red mist on me at the time, thinking "if that was my brother or son.....". In fairness, I wouldn't be as big and tough as yer man, but a cast iron skillet is a great leveller.

You're right, I wouldn't. But if ever someone deserved it......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batattackrat View Post
I'm never seen Gordan slap anyone, he never does that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickNickleby View Post
Well, painful as this will be, I'm going to try very hard to find it. I DID see it, it was appalling, and I was amazed that : it was televised, and that there was no torrent of outrage at it.

It was early on in the whole Gordon Ramsay thing and was set in the north of England I think. Like a cafe type place, but bigger.

Right, in the interest of fairness to the guy, I'm now obliged to retract my earlier statement. I am unable to find evidence of this ever happening. Except in my head .

I've carried this image around in my head for so long now, and still recall my visceral response to it, that it seems amazing that it would be a false memory. But, I'll have to accept that's what it is.

Apologies to Gordon, and to all my readers
NickNickleby is offline  
Thanks from:
07-04-2021, 07:01   #79
Sgt Hartman
Registered User
 
Sgt Hartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreptitious View Post
McGrath, I think his place closed down and he might have relocated. I do recall him having a steak gaff in Dublin for a while.
The Rustic Stone. It's where I had the toughest T-bone steak I ever ate in my life. I never went back there after that. Speaking of McGrath and Meunier, the old Masterchef Ireland series is now available on Amazon Prime.

I actually like Rory O'Connell myself, he has a kinda gentle, Grandfatherly demeanor about him. I can't take to Donal Skehan at all though. His nice guy act is completely phoney and he tried several avenues to become famous before trying his hand at cooking.
Sgt Hartman is offline  
07-04-2021, 09:15   #80
mariaalice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,343
I actually like most TV chefs watching a cooking program is very relaxing my favorites would be Derry Clarke I have here he is a very nice man but his wife not so much and I like Rick Stein Also like Tom Kerridge


I have eaten in chapter one, have heard Ross Lweis the chef-owner being interviewed a few times comes across as a dreadful snob, snobbery of any kind equals a fail from me but maybe it's just the way he comes across in interviews.

Last edited by mariaalice; 07-04-2021 at 09:22.
mariaalice is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
07-04-2021, 09:18   #81
iamwhoiam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 12,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Hartman View Post
The Rustic Stone. It's where I had the toughest T-bone steak I ever ate in my life. I never went back there after that. Speaking of McGrath and Meunier, the old Masterchef Ireland series is now available on Amazon Prime.

I actually like Rory O'Connell myself, he has a kinda gentle, Grandfatherly demeanor about him. I can't take to Donal Skehan at all though. His nice guy act is completely phoney and he tried several avenues to become famous before trying his hand at cooking.
And when that wasnt enough we had to endure his moving house back to Ireland and how stressful is was .Like the rest of us werent stressed at the time
iamwhoiam is online now  
Thanks from:
07-04-2021, 09:20   #82
odyssey06
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 10,262
Donal Skehans cooking slots dont grab me.

He did a show where he travelled and met producers and thought it suited him much better.
Bit over eager at the stove but that works when chatting to producers.
odyssey06 is online now  
07-04-2021, 09:35   #83
razorblunt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 15,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickNickleby View Post
Right, in the interest of fairness to the guy, I'm now obliged to retract my earlier statement. I am unable to find evidence of this ever happening. Except in my head .

I've carried this image around in my head for so long now, and still recall my visceral response to it, that it seems amazing that it would be a false memory. But, I'll have to accept that's what it is.

Apologies to Gordon, and to all my readers
I'd be very surprised if that happened on the UK version of Kitchen Nightmares which was a vastly superior show than its OTT US counterpart. Ramsay was genuinely helping pubs without over dramatising everything, the Welsh pub-restaurant episode in particular was fantastic. I think the only one he went a bit aggressive on was the fancy steak place where the chef was a gowl.

The US show is mad altogether, there's absolutely no way they could survive after they go through the restaurant, regardless of turnarounds.
razorblunt is offline  
07-04-2021, 09:56   #84
mariaalice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,343
An interesting point can you become wealthy from being a chef? Feel sorry for the likes of Mark Moriarty with the lockdown just as their career was taking off.
mariaalice is offline  
Advertisement
07-04-2021, 10:08   #85
razorblunt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 15,670
Whatever about chefs at least they don't that thing that online recipes do where they spend 4 pages talking about their "Nonna used to make this back in the old country whilst they played in the lemon orchard barefooted".

I've not watched a cooking show in ages but a short, sharp and simplified YouTube/Instagram video will catch my attention.

I also like that show on Channel 4 where they have Michelin starred chefs try and replicate Kit Kats or Monster Munch or whatever. You can see their skill and thought process shining through, Chloe Haughser was on that and she's done incredibly well since,
razorblunt is offline  
Thanks from:
07-04-2021, 22:46   #86
Pussyhands
Registered User
 
Pussyhands's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 2,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariaalice View Post
An interesting point can you become wealthy from being a chef? Feel sorry for the likes of Mark Moriarty with the lockdown just as their career was taking off.
Think of a good restaurant near you and how busy and well they do.

Then think of any restaurant run by a famous chef...it's gonna rake in money. So yeah, Moriarty would be quite rich.
Pussyhands is offline  
08-04-2021, 11:06   #87
Abominable Dr. Phibes
Registered User
 
Abominable Dr. Phibes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussyhands View Post
Think of a good restaurant near you and how busy and well they do.

Then think of any restaurant run by a famous chef...it's gonna rake in money. So yeah, Moriarty would be quite rich.
Dude doesn’t own a restaurant. So that blows a torpedo in that particular theory.
Abominable Dr. Phibes is online now  
Thanks from:
08-04-2021, 12:06   #88
Lemon Davis lll
Registered User
 
Lemon Davis lll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Autumn View Post
Yes, It's so contrived. She should be ashamed of herself sounding like that at her age.
Both herself and Miriam went to Alexandria college secondary school in Milltown.

It's long churned out alumnae with a singular way of mangling the English language.
Lemon Davis lll is offline  
08-04-2021, 13:20   #89
mariaalice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abominable Dr. Phibes View Post
Dude doesn’t own a restaurant. So that blows a torpedo in that particular theory.
Any restaurant particularly a high-end one knows it worth their while to give the head chef and restaurant manager/head waiter a small share of the business.

The nices and the best meal I ever had was in the pig ear the chef is Stephen McAllister, I have only ever seen him on the restaurant where he comes across as very precise.
mariaalice is offline  
08-04-2021, 13:20   #90
Abominable Dr. Phibes
Registered User
 
Abominable Dr. Phibes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariaalice View Post
Any restaurant particularly a high-end one knows it worth their while to give the head chef and restaurant manager/head waiter a small share of the business.

The nices and the best meal I ever had was in the pig ear the chef is Stephen McAllister, I have only ever seen him on the restaurant where he comes across as very precise.
He isn’t the head chef either. So that blows a torpedo in that particular theory.
Abominable Dr. Phibes is online now  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet