Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
08-04-2021, 02:04   #6211
Potential-Monke
Registered User
 
Potential-Monke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 9,932
Ah that has to be a piss take...

Edit: Oh sweet jesus it's real!
Potential-Monke is offline  
Advertisement
08-04-2021, 02:29   #6212
gozunda
Registered User
 
gozunda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 16,916
At great risk to myself and likley being identified as "woke"

This from a "guardian" article. So my apologies ...

The French have apparently decided that Wokism does not match with French Culture

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...islamo-leftism

Last edited by gozunda; 08-04-2021 at 02:33.
gozunda is offline  
08-04-2021, 02:52   #6213
ILoveYourVibes
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 13,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by gozunda View Post
...

The French have apparently decided that Wokism does not match with French Culture
They are not wrong.

Woke etc to me isn't a monolith. There are things that are truth about it ..and obv ways people take it too far.

But French young people have always struck me as very aware and conscientious. Sensitive to other cultures.

But perhaps the establishment is another thing.

I do think though french people don't argue politics like we see in the states. Its more polite. Could be wrong though.
ILoveYourVibes is offline  
Thanks from:
08-04-2021, 07:53   #6214
Cienciano
Registered User
 
Cienciano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 13,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by biko View Post
Major League Baseball left Georgia because of the new voter ID laws, and went to Colorado.









Colorado already has voter ID laws...
https://www.npr.org/2021/04/07/98485...=1617843968306
Cienciano is online now  
08-04-2021, 09:05   #6215
Princess Consuela Bananahammock
Registered User
 
Princess Consuela Bananahammock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 27,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal View Post
Yes it is. The electorate judging who's best. Not you. Not 'experts'.
This is kind of my point: on what merit are the people who make sure appointments chosen?

Getting the most votes doesn't make you the best candidate.

Last edited by Princess Consuela Bananahammock; 08-04-2021 at 09:08.
Princess Consuela Bananahammock is online now  
Advertisement
08-04-2021, 09:33   #6216
silverharp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 15,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Consuela Bananahammock View Post
This is kind of my point: on what merit are the people who make sure appointments chosen?

Getting the most votes doesn't make you the best candidate.
there is no objective best candidate, a politician that might be great in one set of circumstances might be sub par with another. There are specific characteristics you would want in a pilot or fireman
silverharp is offline  
08-04-2021, 09:37   #6217
Princess Consuela Bananahammock
Registered User
 
Princess Consuela Bananahammock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 27,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverharp View Post
there is no objective best candidate, a politician that might be great in one set of circumstances might be sub par with another. There are specific characteristics you would want in a pilot or fireman
You're confusing characteristics with qualifications and experience. Meritocracy does not appoint based on character.

To put it another way, do you want the most popular person flying the plane, or the person with the experience and qualification?
Princess Consuela Bananahammock is online now  
08-04-2021, 09:47   #6218
silverharp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 15,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Consuela Bananahammock View Post
You're confusing characteristics with qualifications and experience. Meritocracy does not appoint based on character.

To put it another way, do you want the most popular person flying the plane, or the person with the experience and qualification?
to keep it simple , you do need certain characteristics to be a pilot , the ability to work under stress or in a crises would separate the men from the boys as it were. you wouldnt want a pilot who would panic. Likewise you wouldnt want a lazy , or a pilot that was very timid
silverharp is offline  
08-04-2021, 10:22   #6219
Cordell
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,512
In a representative democracy the best candidate is the most representative one, i.e. the one who gets the most votes, regardless of other qualities or lack thereof. Like it or not, this is how it works.
Cordell is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
08-04-2021, 12:07   #6220
Princess Consuela Bananahammock
Registered User
 
Princess Consuela Bananahammock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 27,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverharp View Post
to keep it simple , you do need certain characteristics to be a pilot , the ability to work under stress or in a crises would separate the men from the boys as it were. you wouldnt want a pilot who would panic. Likewise you wouldnt want a lazy , or a pilot that was very timid
Proven ability to fly a plane also helps

By the point is: the pilot is hired, not chosen by customers.
Princess Consuela Bananahammock is online now  
08-04-2021, 12:08   #6221
Princess Consuela Bananahammock
Registered User
 
Princess Consuela Bananahammock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 27,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordell View Post
In a representative democracy the best candidate is the most representative one, i.e. the one who gets the most votes, regardless of other qualities or lack thereof. Like it or not, this is how it works.
I'm not saying it doesn't : I'm sayimg you can't have a meritocracy and a democracy at the same time. Nor am I saying either of better than the other.
Princess Consuela Bananahammock is online now  
08-04-2021, 12:14   #6222
Nermal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Consuela Bananahammock View Post
I'm not saying it doesn't : I'm sayimg you can't have a meritocracy and a democracy at the same time. Nor am I saying either of better than the other.
Of course you can. For positions filled by election, the judgement of merit is by definition made the electorate, by means of voting. They make that judgement whatever way they want, and however they do it, they're always right.

And at the risk of stating the bleeding obvious, because we fill some roles by election, doesn't mean all roles must be filled that way.
Nermal is offline  
08-04-2021, 12:23   #6223
Princess Consuela Bananahammock
Registered User
 
Princess Consuela Bananahammock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 27,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal View Post
Of course you can. For positions filled by election, the judgement of merit is by definition made the electorate, by means of voting. They make that judgement whatever way they want, and however they do it, they're always right.

And at the risk of stating the bleeding obvious, because we fill some roles by election, doesn't mean all roles must be filled that way.
No you can't, because a vote is made on personal interests, not on merit of the candidate.

Is Michael Martin the best most qualified person to be lead a country? Is Boris Johnson? Is Joe Biden?

Donald Trump did it with no political qualifications or experience whatsiever.

Which brings me beach to my original question: what is being definef as 'metit'?
Princess Consuela Bananahammock is online now  
08-04-2021, 12:28   #6224
Badly Drunk Boy
Registered User
 
Badly Drunk Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky King View Post
That's a big ageist though isn't it? 'Young'?

I for one am offended on behalf of young people.

Oh, and old people.
Sonic Youth disbanded when the band members were in their 50s.
Badly Drunk Boy is offline  
08-04-2021, 12:54   #6225
conorhal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,578
https://twitter.com/bluestein/status...65674771427331


So voter ID bad eh?

It wasn't long before the hypocrite had the obvious pointed out to him from his own website...

From Delta's website:

Required Travel Documents
Travel Within the U.S.

In the United States, you need a valid U.S. government-issued photo ID or a passport from your country of origin to travel through security. You must show that the name on your boarding pass matches the legal name on your unexpired government-issued ID.
conorhal is offline  
(3) thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet