06-02-2020, 16:55   #46
branie2

I got mine renewed online as well.
Advertisement
06-02-2020, 17:16   #47
Theboinkmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winning_Stroke View Post
Passports should deffo be free to people residing most of the year in Ireland. Applicants living abroad should have to pay more to offset the costs. They're the ones getting the most benefit from it and don't pay other taxes to the state, so only fair that they pay more.
I'm quite happy to pay my €75 every 10 years - especially when I get it in 3 days and it's so easy to do online.
(3) thanks from:
08-02-2020, 10:49   #48
wacotaco

Hi,

I applied for a new passport yesterday 7th. It's currently in 'processing' stage according to the tracker. I travel to the US on 19th of this month. I'm confident I'll have the passport by then but just realised my ESTA is out of date.
I read you need 72hrs before applying for the ESTA....if this is the case I may not have the passport in time to complete the form.

The passport office is closed on the weekends. I'm thinking of ringing up first thing Monday morning and cancelling my new passport? My original passport would still be valid for this trip.

Any help appreciated.
08-02-2020, 14:19   #49
KiKi III

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacotaco View Post
Hi,

I applied for a new passport yesterday 7th. It's currently in 'processing' stage according to the tracker. I travel to the US on 19th of this month. I'm confident I'll have the passport by then but just realised my ESTA is out of date.
I read you need 72hrs before applying for the ESTA....if this is the case I may not have the passport in time to complete the form.

The passport office is closed on the weekends. I'm thinking of ringing up first thing Monday morning and cancelling my new passport? My original passport would still be valid for this trip.

Any help appreciated.
Definitely ring up, I did and they sped the process along for me. Be extra nice, they deal with a lot of a$$holes and are obviously more willing to go the extra mile for people who are sound.
08-02-2020, 14:22   #50
AndrewJRenko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winning_Stroke View Post
Passports should deffo be free to people residing most of the year in Ireland. Applicants living abroad should have to pay more to offset the costs. They're the ones getting the most benefit from it and don't pay other taxes to the state, so only fair that they pay more.
SO you want to cost of running the high security passport printing operation to be borne by everyone, instead of those who actually want passports?
Advertisement
11-02-2020, 13:23   #51
biketard

Quote:
Originally Posted by biketard View Post
Just did this on Monday. Renewed passport and applied for first card. Admittedly it was a bit fussy about the photo, but I managed to get one accepted by changing how the picture was cropped. I'm in Edinburgh, so this saved me a load of hassle.

Will post here when I receive it, although it said it was estimating Friday next week.
My passport arrived today, so that was a week and a day to Edinburgh (actually more like just a week since I ordered it in the evening). Very impressed. Card still to arrive and it's still saying Friday for that. Will update when it arrives.
11-02-2020, 14:33   #52
Wompa1

Got mine a few months ago. Went to one of the booths are the local petrol station. Filled it in online with the code. My passport arrived less than 24 hours later. I couldn't believe it!
(2) thanks from:
11-02-2020, 16:55   #53
Slasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector Savage View Post
Do you wear glasses ?
I do and it's impossible to get a photo with glasses to work, just took them off ...
I wear glasses and it accepted my photo taken with iPhone.
13-02-2020, 14:34   #54
wacotaco

My passport was printed on Tuesday but still hasnt been posted. I travel On Wednesday but need to sort my ESTA also.

The person on webchat told me I can use my old passport if the new one doesnt arrive... anyone know if this is correct?
Advertisement
18-02-2020, 09:54   #55
biketard

Quote:
Just did this on Monday. Renewed passport and applied for first card. Admittedly it was a bit fussy about the photo, but I managed to get one accepted by changing how the picture was cropped. I'm in Edinburgh, so this saved me a load of hassle.

Will post here when I receive it, although it said it was estimating Friday next week.
Quote:
My passport arrived today, so that was a week and a day to Edinburgh (actually more like just a week since I ordered it in the evening). Very impressed. Card still to arrive and it's still saying Friday for that. Will update when it arrives.
My card arrived on Friday as originally predicted. That means the passport took a week and the card took a week and three days (both to Edinburgh). Very impressed overall.
18-02-2020, 10:00   #56
ohnonotgmail

Quote:
My card arrived on Friday as originally predicted. That means the passport took a week and the card took a week and three days (both to Edinburgh). Very impressed overall.
I wasnt aware you could do passport renewals if you were living abroad.
18-02-2020, 10:11   #57
inforfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnonotgmail View Post
Sounds nice enough.

I have to go to the Dutch embassy every 10 years. take time off and pay double of what it would cost me in NL.

And taking a pic with your phone acceptable?
There is only 1 photographer in Dublin who can pull off an acceptable picture for a Dutch passport.

I have to say, there is enough wrong in this country (but where isnt that the case?) but services like Revenue, passports, driver license are a lot more customer friendly here than where i come from.
Here they seem to actually want to help you while i am used to be treated as a nuisance at home at those particular offices.

Last edited by inforfun; 18-02-2020 at 10:33.
Thanks from:
18-02-2020, 10:35   #58
jester77

Quote:
It's awesome now, hands down one of the best services I have used online, anywhere. It is now so painless. Previously I would have to get photos taken somewhere, get a Notar to sign forms, send it all off to the embassy in Berlin, they would forward to Dublin who would then send the passport to Berlin and they would send it to me. Was a lot of effort.

Now I just take a selfie, upload it to the site and 3 days later I have it delivered. You can't get any better than that. Kudos to the government on this one.
(2) thanks from:
18-02-2020, 10:41   #59
ohnonotgmail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester77 View Post
It's awesome now, hands down one of the best services I have used online, anywhere. It is now so painless. Previously I would have to get photos taken somewhere, get a Notar to sign forms, send it all off to the embassy in Berlin, they would forward to Dublin who would then send the passport to Berlin and they would send it to me. Was a lot of effort.

Now I just take a selfie, upload it to the site and 3 days later I have it delivered. You can't get any better than that. Kudos to the government on this one.
Fair play to them so. I have a brother in England and for his last renewal he had to travel to London to apply for a renewal in person.
18-02-2020, 11:19   #60
Marcos

Quote:
Fair play to them so. I have a brother in England and for his last renewal he had to travel to London to apply for a renewal in person.
I think he'd be better to use one of the approved photo booths that send the code rather than faffing around with a selfie and risking them saying it's not correct so has to be redone.

I used one of them, applied for my passport on a Sunday evening and got the the passport on Wednesday. Excellent service.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion