06-02-2020, 11:32   #16
banie01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tickle View Post
One small criticism is that you can't renew a passport and apply for a passport card in one transaction.

Yes you can.
Both my wife and I recently renewed our passports and got our 1st passport cards each in a "single" transaction, as did our son a few months ago.

Are you by any chance confusing the passport card number requirements, with the request for your PSC number?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
06-02-2020, 11:38   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tickle View Post
Used it for my mother recently. Very impressed with the speed.

One small criticism is that you can't renew a passport and apply for a passport card in one transaction.

If you already have both already you can renew them together. Or if you have an existing passport you can apply for a card online (also very good service)

If you try to order the two together it asks you for your current passport card number (different to passport number) and there's no option to say that you don't have one.
I did it for a friend a few weeks ago. Renewed his passport and ordered his 1st passport card in one transaction. €100 all in.
(2) thanks from:
06-02-2020, 11:45   #18
Darranj85

I was amazed at how fast it was, fantastic service
06-02-2020, 11:48   #19
Mr Tickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by banie01 View Post
Yes you can.
Both my wife and I recently renewed our passports and got our 1st passport cards each in a "single" transaction, as did our son a few months ago.

Are you by any chance confusing the passport card number requirements, with the request for your PSC number?
Quote:
Originally Posted by weldoninhio View Post
I did it for a friend a few weeks ago. Renewed his passport and ordered his 1st passport card in one transaction. €100 all in.
well f** me then so
I don't think it was the psc number. I just took a look at the process again. There's a question "have you previously been issued a passport card?". It's not impossible that I answered that wrong.

Maybe i'm just too cynical and expect some sort of problem from an irish online system.
(2) thanks from:
06-02-2020, 11:49   #20
Deebles McBeebles

Great service but it seems to be impossible to upload your own photo, had to go to one of the booths and use a code from there. I'm not the only one this has happened to either.
Advertisement
06-02-2020, 12:07   #21
Hector Savage

Great service , and can do it for kids passport too, which saves such a load of hassle ...
06-02-2020, 12:15   #22
biketard

Just did this on Monday. Renewed passport and applied for first card. Admittedly it was a bit fussy about the photo, but I managed to get one accepted by changing how the picture was cropped. I'm in Edinburgh, so this saved me a load of hassle.

Will post here when I receive it, although it said it was estimating Friday next week.
06-02-2020, 12:43   #23
Theboinkmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebles McBeebles View Post
Great service but it seems to be impossible to upload your own photo, had to go to one of the booths and use a code from there. I'm not the only one this has happened to either.
I disagree - I used my iPhone to take my picture on Monday evening and it was fine. Used it on my 4 year old son last year and accepted also no issues.

Once you follow the photo guidelines it works perfectly.
Thanks from:
06-02-2020, 12:49   #24
Deebles McBeebles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theboinkmaster View Post
I disagree - I used my iPhone to take my picture on Monday evening and it was fine. Used it on my 4 year old son last year and accepted also no issues.

Once you follow the photo guidelines it works perfectly.
Fair enough. I followed the guidelines to the letter and no luck after multiple attempts. Similar story with a few people from work.
Advertisement
06-02-2020, 12:50   #25
JohnnyFlash

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgoose View Post
For the luvva Mike all it is is SSO - a bunch of different services probably bolted to the one LDAP server. Second-year stuff.
Not into technical mumbo-jumbo, Jim. Don’t care how the consultants and neckbeards implemented it at the ‘backend’. It’s easy for the citizen to use.
Thanks from:
06-02-2020, 13:07   #26
jimgoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlash View Post
Not into technical mumbo-jumbo, Jim. Don’t care how the consultants and neckbeards implemented it at the ‘backend’. It’s easy for the citizen to use.
What I'm trying to say is that there is no reason in this day and age why all Government/public-sector systems shouldn't be similarly pleasant. It's easy enough to do, even for a neckbeard.

Last edited by jimgoose; 06-02-2020 at 13:28.
06-02-2020, 13:08   #27
SeaFields
Gone fishin'

I used it for my last renewal. Again the photo caused a bit of an issue but got it in the end. It's a great service overall.

There are a fair few public service online platforms which are great. Paye anytime is another that springs to mind. It's mad people pay companies commission to interact with that system on their behalf!
06-02-2020, 13:46   #28
Hector Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebles McBeebles View Post
Fair enough. I followed the guidelines to the letter and no luck after multiple attempts. Similar story with a few people from work.
Do you wear glasses ?
I do and it's impossible to get a photo with glasses to work, just took them off ...
Thanks from:
06-02-2020, 13:50   #29
tiredblondie

I'm looking to update my passport to my marriage name - can that be done online do you know?
I know i have to pay the full cost again - would i just do it as if i was requesting a new or first time passport?
06-02-2020, 13:52   #30

Why do we have to pay for passports? What right does the State have to do this to us? Am I not Irish if I can't pony up their blood money?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion