07-04-2021, 22:08   #46
anewme

The world needs people brave enough to be whistle blowers.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
07-04-2021, 22:13   #47
Gregor Samsa

I was involved (with others) in the planning of our company moving offices, and getting the new office kitted out. Contractors did a great job of most things, but they didn't set up the Zip tap in the kitchen. We'd paid good money for it, and as a tea drinker, it was more important to me than the outrageously expensive coffee machine. I hounded the contractors to come back and finish the job. Unmerciful hounding.

Due to my personal crusade on the matter, they eventually came back and did it. The Zip tap was finally commissioned on the 11th of March last year. A personal triumph, which I proudly communicated to the entire workforce.

The office closed due to Covid 19 on the 12th, with the entire staff working from home ever since. The fully functional Zip tap completely unused.
07-04-2021, 22:38   #48
Gloomtastic!
Do Not Be Afraid.....
^ Great story!

I have a few crusades at varying stages of life.

One of my more successful ones is to rid the walks around Howth of the dreaded Ragworth. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacobaea_vulgaris

I walk around Howth a lot, it’s a fantastic place. I noticed Ragworth starting to take hold about six years ago and, as I was taught by my Dad, a part-time farmer, to pull one when ever you passed it, did so. The only way to get rid of the weed is to pull it, and it’s primary roots, out.

It’s a continuous task but I think I’ve got it under control.

I also collect the plastic bottles, coffee cups/lids, sweet wrappers and poo bags left by scum. I don’t think that battle will ever end. Some people are just so self-centred and have no consideration for anyone else or their surroundings. It really does make me sad.
07-04-2021, 22:40   #49
metaoblivia

Send a message via AIM to metaoblivia
Currently have one going on with my HOA community manager, who wants us all to replace our 40-year old windows with aluminum frames despite the fact that vinyl and fiberglass frames are now the industry standard and aluminum is more expensive and only one vendor in the city is willing to do them since they don't meet current California code (conveniently this person is a friend of the community manager). And there's nothing architecturally significant about our condominiums that would merit using outdated materials.

Over the last month, I've learned more about windows than I ever imagined or wanted to know. But I will not pay $5k to replace three windows using material that's not in compliance with state laws & recommendations.
(2) thanks from:
08-04-2021, 02:53   #50
ILoveYourVibes

Only everyday lol.

But i mean things that are important to me that no one else cares about lol!

Joan of my personal ark!
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
08-04-2021, 03:08   #51
NSAman

Trying a “greening” plan along a little section of road using unorthodox methods.

I have had little success. I heard that supermacs snack boxes when left with lucozade bottles rot they create incredible compost for growing.

So far some *** keeps picking them up and ruining my project!
Thanks from:
08-04-2021, 07:37   #52
Eggs For Dinner

To keep the Shinners away from Government and to bring back full size Curly Wurlys. No preference on the order of importance
08-04-2021, 08:57   #53
taxAHcruel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man with broke phone View Post
Have you, or have you ever had your own personal crusade?

Did you love( or hate) a politician so much you got too invested in their cause.

Did you get on the abortion battle?
I would say my heavy involvement "on the ground" for the recent referendums were my last real "crusades". I have not really had one since. Which is probably a good thing as on top of all my hobbies I was totally burning myself out and even had one spectacular nervous breakdown which I thankfully recovered quickly from.

But I haven't found anything I am all that emotionally invested in. I have totally given up on climate change issues and become depressed by the actual effects of some of the supposed "Achievements" in the field.

I think the closest thing I have now - though covid seriously curtailed it - is the little "Jedi Acadamy" I set up for some local problem kids which turned them around from absolute gouriers to really genuinely nice people. All under the guise of an "actual" Jedi curriculum.

But thats more a project than a crusade.
(2) thanks from:
08-04-2021, 09:26   #54
Carry

Crusading against stupidity and ignorance for decades, but gave up since I finally understood that stupidity and ignorance is a pandemic spread and institutionalised by governments and civil services.

I keep on fighting in every day life (ignorant people I have to deal with, stupid paper-pushers, general dickheads) but I'm feeling like Don Quixote fighting windmills.

I try to be tolerant as far as possible, but tolerating stupidity and ignorance is damn hard work.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
08-04-2021, 09:35   #55
A Tyrant Named Miltiades!
Alexa, Play Liveline

Mod: Radio, ZTest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloomtastic! View Post

I have a few crusades at varying stages of life.

One of my more successful ones is to rid the walks around Howth of the dreaded Ragworth. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacobaea_vulgaris

I walk around Howth a lot, it’s a fantastic place. I noticed Ragworth starting to take hold about six years ago and, as I was taught by my Dad, a part-time farmer, to pull one when ever you passed it, did so. The only way to get rid of the weed is to pull it, and it’s primary roots, out.

It’s a continuous task but I think I’ve got it under control.
That's great. I don't know if this is true, but we were told as kids that ragwort is actually illegal, so you have to pull it when you see it. The hours we spent as kids, bent-double from pulling ragwort, to keep our parents out of jail. Well done on your crusade, it's an admirable one that may well save an animal's life.
(2) thanks from:
08-04-2021, 09:36   #56
Foweva Awone

I probably harp on about addiction and recovery a bit because, well, I'm in recovery. And I met so many wonderful people along the way, lots of whom are still trapped in addiction. I've also lost some really good friends who died in addiction, most at a really young age, including many young mums.

I'm also a big supporter of harm reduction (e.g. maintenance programs, needle exchanges), which can be kinda controversial ... Not everyone is ready for recovery, sometimes the best you can do is help keep them alive until they're ready and willing to give recovery a go.
08-04-2021, 09:57   #57
Abominable Dr. Phibes

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tyrant Named Miltiades! View Post
That's great. I don't know if this is true, but we were told as kids that ragwort is actually illegal, so you have to pull it when you see it. The hours we spent as kids, bent-double from pulling ragwort, to keep our parents out of jail. Well done on your crusade, it's an admirable one that may well save an animal's life.
Pulling on a stinking willie might seem like a good idea, but it’s actually been found to be one of the best providers of nectar for pollinators.
08-04-2021, 10:11   #58
EmmetSpiceland

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tyrant Named Miltiades! View Post
Is that one not an “irritant”? Gives you blisters or some such?
08-04-2021, 10:12   #59
A Tyrant Named Miltiades!
Alexa, Play Liveline

Mod: Radio, ZTest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abominable Dr. Phibes View Post
Pulling on a stinking willie might seem like a good idea, but it’s actually been found to be one of the best providers of nectar for pollinators.
Is that true? It's hardly worse than leaving it there, blowing in the wind for a whole summer?

I know you're supposed to immediately stuff it into a bag, not dangle it around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmetSpiceland View Post
Is that one not an “irritant”? Gives you blisters or some such?
Haven't tasted it myself, but sometimes cattle and horses will accidentally eat it if the flower is chopped, and it's toxic to the liver, and not curable. Or so the warning goes.

You might be thinking of hog weed?

Last edited by A Tyrant Named Miltiades!; 08-04-2021 at 10:18.
Thanks from:
08-04-2021, 10:46   #60
completedit

Elon Musk. There's something about fawning over a multi billionaire that just irks me. It almost feels as if I have a personal vendetta against the man which might be more bizarre than the fanboys who idolise him.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion