Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBc iPlayer/ToR/proxy settings/hosts file

• 31-05-2010 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭

I just managed to get BBc iPlayer to work here, with ToR & FireFox. But I'm wondering: I have some ad servers blocked in my hosts file; will this be ignored when using a proxy server ? I use several browsers anyway, and the FF set up for proxy use will prob only be used for streaming iPlayer video, so it's a little academic, but I was just browsing the 4oD/FilmFour sites with it, and it's slow enough going through tor, without having to load a load of ad content too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I've had no sucess with iplayer, always got a German or French proxy but not UK. Even after it saying it was a UK proxy. How did you set it up anyway, tutorial?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Mostly from this guide. I already had a version of FF, it (tor) installed its own, had trouble getting to install latest Flash. Put latest Flash onto other FF, copied proxy settings manually, and it works on BBc. Still trying with 40D though !

Here's a list of some UK based exit nodes I found to work OK with iPlayer:

gigatux,Alice,GZero,anonion,gadg3ts,JimmyGulpRelay,nut,philtannerminerva,RoxSoft

I also found the Opera browser is very convenient for toggling proxy use (F12,R)

I found an easy workaround to get Flash to work in FF portable:
    here

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    but I was just browsing the 4oD/FilmFour sites with it, and it's slow enough going through tor, without having to load a load of ad content too.
    You can access 4oD in Ireland without a proxy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,943 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I use Tor with Google Chrome and find it much less annoying than Firefox.

This is the guide I used :

1. Launch Privoxy (Part of Vidalia bundle)

2. Go to settings in Chrome
    ->Options
    ->Change Proxy Settings
    ->LAN settings

Unclick "automatically detect settings"

Click "Proxy settings"

In the address box type : 127.0.0.1 *
    In the port box type : 8118 *

* you only need to fill these in the first time

3. Launch Vidalia

Go to the website you want to work.

It should work and take less time to launch what you want to watch than when using Firefox. Also you can turn off the proxy once your program launches and you can browse in another window without it being slowed to a crawl.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

You can access 4oD in Ireland without a proxy.

Used to be able to access it without a proxy and I think you still can , although I know for a while they initiated GeoIP restrictions for Ireland. I'm in the UK so don't know tbh.

Over here 4OD is available on YouTube under the 'TV Shows' tab...can you get that in Ireland?

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Used to be able to access it without a proxy and I think you still can , although I know for a while they initiated GeoIP restrictions for Ireland. I'm in the UK so don't know tbh.

Over here 4OD is available on YouTube under the 'TV Shows' tab...can you get that in Ireland?

You can get 4OD in Ireland without a proxy now.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭leedsfan88

chilly wrote: »
    I use Tor with Google Chrome and find it much less annoying than Firefox.

This is the guide I used :

1. Launch Privoxy (Part of Vidalia bundle)

2. Go to settings in Chrome
    ->Options
    ->Change Proxy Settings
    ->LAN settings

Unclick "automatically detect settings"

Click "Proxy settings"

In the address box type : 127.0.0.1 *
    In the port box type : 8118 *

* you only need to fill these in the first time

3. Launch Vidalia

Go to the website you want to work.

It should work and take less time to launch what you want to watch than when using Firefox. Also you can turn off the proxy once your program launches and you can browse in another window without it being slowed to a crawl.

I can't get this work at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

This is taken from another thread.
    Looked at various ways of doing this, best free way I've found for getting iplayer to work:

Step 1: Download and install the latest stable release of Tor using the default options. Run setup and make sure you're connected to the network. Green onion will appear in system tray if it is working ok.

Step 2: Download and install mgeni, it's a browser that uses the Tor network to allow you to choose what country you want to route through.

Little bit slow loading webpages (maybe turn off image loading) but video feed is perfect (I've only got a 7mb connection). Much easier than messing with foxy proxy or whatever else.

*Doesn't work for hulu unfortunately

Works fine.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

RoadKillTs wrote: »
    This is taken from another thread.

Works fine.
    Thanks for sharing. That worked for me too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Finally got it working as well. Using mgenie and Tor with the exit nodes above.

TYVM!!

Anyone having trouble with Channel4's 4oD ? Using the Firefox/ToR setup that works with iPlayer perfectly, 4oD tells me "The service is not currently available in your area"

Any ideas ?

Anyone having trouble with Channel4's 4oD ? Using the Firefox/ToR setup that works with iPlayer perfectly, 4oD tells me "The service is not currently available in your area"

Any ideas ?

Are you in Ireland ?

4OD is now fully available to the Republic of Ireland so you don't need to use a proxy at all.

I know this is the wrong thread to mention this but this is an incredibly easy method of accessing US network sites like ABC, NBC, MTV etc and watching their content.

It uses firefox and in no way slows down your browsing and you can watch without delays. There's no messing with settings everytime you want to watch something either. Sometimes it lets you watch Hulu perfectly... other times it doesn't. With every other US site I've tried it works perfectly.

If anyone fancies messing with it and trying to get it to work for the UK please report back if you're successful. I've tried but had no luck.

Are you in Ireland ?

4OD is now fully available to the Republic of Ireland so you don't need to use a proxy at all.

I am. Strangely it seems to work with no proxy and not work with one.Thanks anyway !

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

This is great, got it working and watching stuff on BBC iPlayer.

Is there any way to make this work for Ireland? Like for RTE and TV3?

RTE player will work without a proxy, in Ireland (duh!).I haven't tried tv3. If you are not in Ireland maybe you can find an Irish proxy

RTE player will work without a proxy, in Ireland (duh!).I haven't tried tv3. If you are not in Ireland maybe you can find an Irish proxy

I'm not in Ireland.

have searched for irish Proxies but no good ones so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I'm not in Ireland.

have searched for irish Proxies but no good ones so far.

Same problem here. I have to make do with the RTÉ International player. Mind you, it's not bad.

• Advertisement

Maybe one in the North might work ? For some reason I can't get
    http://torstat.xenobite.eu/index.php
    to work now

but
    https://torstatus.blutmagie.de/index.php
    does

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭captainbirdseye

I can't view iplayer with mgeni & valida anymore. It looks like it's missing just the video part of the site. Is anyone here still able to use this or know of a workaround? Cheers.

Did you try ToR? Still working for me !
    link

are you using the "Tor Browser Bundle" English (en-US) 1.3.12?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Found this http://expatshield.com/ much easier to get Iplayer working.

I am using a bundle, its ToR 0.2.1.26. But I have recently installed a recent version (last Friday IIRC) on another laptop (XP), but I don't have it here. Yet another laptop, also XP, had problems starting the same version.

Right, well my IE never worked properly on my laptop, no big deal because i use Fitefox anyway............. but i needed it for something so downloaded the new IE9 Beta.

Now when i open Mgeni, the player won't load up when i go to BBC iPlayer, just a blank space.

I've tried a System Restore but my computer hasnt created any dates for me. And when i try to go back to IE8 it won't let me.

Any ideas? O

I can't view iplayer with mgeni & valida anymore. It looks like it's missing just the video part of the site. Is anyone here still able to use this or know of a workaround? Cheers.

Sorry, just saw this. Thought it was just me.

maybe the fact i installed IE9 is just a coincidence? Unless you did the same thing?

• Advertisement

IrishTonyO had a spiffing idea:
    use http://expatshield.com/

forget ToR
    lock the thread
    lock it!!

Advertisement