Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone identify this marking?

• 23-11-2019 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Have a couple of unremarkable water colours of the black and divis mountains, but i note a symbol at the bottom of each that i cannot identify, does anyone have an idea? Hours of googling and asking auction houses have drawn a blank! Thank you in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Karlsand wrote: »
    Have a couple of unremarkable water colours of the black and divis mountains, but i note a symbol at the bottom of each that i cannot identify, does anyone have an idea? Hours of googling and asking auction houses have drawn a blank! Thank you in advance

Pictures?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Karlsand

Sorry set up thread via mobile, didnt know how to add, link attached now, apologies

You started a thread on this before here https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=111548680 with no response and so you're unlikely to get a response - at least from me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,094 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Karlsand wrote: »

It wouldn't be for D company, for the army in Belfast.

The design behind it looks like a sunburst flag.

Google sunburst flag.

The sunburst has been used for over 150 years at this stage by Irish nationalist and Republican movements.

I think you'd be better talking to a historian of Irish Republicanism in Belfast than an art house.

Where did you get it, that'll change the focus as well.

The creation of companies started in 1919 in Belfast,

The print looks like from the first 50 years.

Probably painted in prison, sold in a fundraiser or a gift on release.

• Advertisement

Oh it would be old, my grandad was from Belfast and was involved in the war of independence and then on to the free state army. Have been hanging in the house my whole lifetime but never thought to ask!

Is there an artist's signature?

Unfortunately none visible above the borders anyway

Celtic interlace on the frame.

I'd guess it's the original frame.

You could carefully lift the back off, if it's like most frames, there may be a name or dedication on the back.

Was he jailed in the black and tan war.

Danzy wrote: »
    Celtic interlace on the frame.

I'd guess it's the original frame.

You could carefully lift the back off, if it's like most frames, there may be a name or dedication on the back.

Was he jailed in the black and tan war.

Thanks for all the input, even the Ulster University fobbed me off. I have a query out with an expert in the field so ill report back when i get anything new. Unfortunately both grand parents were gone by the time i was a young boy so i dont have a direct line, but my uncle may also be a help. Tks again

• Advertisement

Try the Republicans museum in Belfast, they might have seen some of the. Before.

Best of luck I'm curious myself now.

Danzy wrote: »
    Try the Republicans museum in Belfast, they might have seen some of the. Before.

Best of luck I'm curious myself now.

Great advice! I have reached out to Eileen Hickey in the museum.

Thanks again, yeah im intrigued!

Advertisement