Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ARCTIC MC001-N ~ MultiMedia Barebone PC - €114.95 Delivered. [Amazon.de]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Guys, I've got the ram and HDD installed (very impressed with how tidy the Arctic is inside).

I've got a salvaged DVD drive. It fits into the bay until it's flush with the front - how do you get it to 'mate' with the connector inside? There isn't access to this from either the top or bottom plates.

Thanks! :)

• quad_red wrote: »
    Guys, I've got the ram and HDD installed (very impressed with how tidy the Arctic is inside).

I've got a salvaged DVD drive. It fits into the bay until it's flush with the front - how do you get it to 'mate' with the connector inside? There isn't access to this from either the top or bottom plates.

Thanks! :)

Are you sure the drive a SATA drive?
    If it does not have this connector it will not work:
    http://img.misco.eu/Resources/images/Modules/InformationBlocks/1210/LIT/LIT-1/173358-main2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭IrishGaz

Any of the €99 euro ones available anywhere guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭RoflHarris

Also, does anybody have any advice on what hdd to buy (looking for a 1tb one)? Looking at the wd blue ones on Amazon. Thing is I'm not sure if they are 9.5mm thick, it says one of the versions is and I'm unsure about the other.

Are you sure the drive a SATA drive?
    If it does not have this connector it will not work:
    http://img.misco.eu/Resources/images/Modules/InformationBlocks/1210/LIT/LIT-1/173358-main2.jpg

What a dickhead :o The drive is IDE.

Never mind...

• Advertisement

• RoflHarris wrote: »
    Also, does anybody have any advice on what hdd to buy (looking for a 1tb one)? Looking at the wd blue ones on Amazon. Thing is I'm not sure if they are 9.5mm thick, it says one of the versions is and I'm unsure about the other.
    It should give the model code which you can then google or check the manufacturer website for the specs.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

= Originally Posted by RoflHarris View Post

Surely the HDD does not need to be 9.5mm, I think this is just for the DVD\Blue-ray drive?

Sorry Nathan Purring Seismograph for the quote click wrong post ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

OpenElec wrote:
    The OpenELEC team is proud to release the 3rd Release Candidate of OpenELEC 3.0!

Internally this is known by the less-catchy name OpenELEC 2.99.3 :).

We are sorry about the big delay with releasing this Release Candidate. We found some important sound driver issues with recent kernel versions which we have solved with help from some of our users and Anssi Hannula, a kernel developer. He is working on getting the fixes included in newer kernels so that all Distributions will benefit from this in the future. Many thanks for the great help!

Together with our new partner Arctic we developed a own build to use on any Arctic MC001 (EU Model, US Model) devices (all, including any barebones). From now on we provide special builds for this devices. For more informations see: "Arctic announces passive cooled Systems with OpenELEC installed"
    This will be one of the latest releases before OpenELEC 3.0 final, so please test and report issues

http://openelec.tv/news/22-releases/83-openelec-3-0-rc3-released

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

IrishGaz wrote: »
    Any of the €99 euro ones available anywhere guys?
    No, not at the moment.

I'll email Arctic now and ask if they are going to come back into stock on Amazon.de at that price but I might not get a reply for a day or two on past form.

invest4deepvalue.com

A question in regards to the disc drive void - if there is no drive going in there, how do you secure the flimsy cover? (That is obviously designed to attach to a disk drive tray).

• Advertisement

• quad_red wrote: »
    A question in regards to the disc drive void - if there is no drive going in there, how do you secure the flimsy cover? (That is obviously designed to attach to a disk drive tray).
    I don't think you can. I couldn't anyway. Just put it away safe in the box. So long as you don't have kids sticking crayons in there or something I wouldn't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Loadedscream

Lads,

does anyone know if this bluray drive would work in this unit running on openelec? there was some mention earlier of possible driver issues running linux.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/USB-2-0-Slim-External-3D-Blu-ray-Movie-BD-ROM-Drive-Player-Reader-DVD-RW-Black-/271139257774?pt=UK_Computing_Drives_Storage_CD_DVD_Drives_ET&hash=item3f2128bdae#ht_2202wt_1189

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Lads,

does anyone know if this bluray drive would work in this unit running on openelec? there was some mention earlier of possible driver issues running linux.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/USB-2-0-Slim-External-3D-Blu-ray-Movie-BD-ROM-Drive-Player-Reader-DVD-RW-Black-/271139257774?pt=UK_Computing_Drives_Storage_CD_DVD_Drives_ET&hash=item3f2128bdae#ht_2202wt_1189

No direct support for BluRay with any Linux version of XBMC which includes openelec. I've come across stuff about external players which afaik refers to software players external to the XBMC program as opposed to an external drive. Google BluRay, Linux, external player.
    quad_red wrote: »

I put a dab of glue each end of the curved side of the cover and glued it to the casing. My thinking was that if the passive cooling of these relies somewhat on the chimney effect of hot air leaving the vents at the top of the unit and cooler air being sucked in the bottom to replace it, that leaving a big opening on the side might defeat that.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭biteme

I have everything up and running perfectly. I'm just curious about the DVB-T. Should I be able to receive channels without adding anything to the barebones setup. Don't seem to be able to get it working and I'm not sure if it's just me or that it's not capable of receiving from saorview

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

Do what I done, stick it with a small bit of sellotape. Look grand TBH.

• Calibos wrote: »
    No direct support for BluRay with any Linux version of XBMC which includes openelec. I've come across stuff about external players which afaik refers to software players external to the XBMC program as opposed to an external drive. Google BluRay, Linux, external player.

Its not that you can't play them, the problem is that it's not particularly polished or stable. No menus yet, newer discs won't work without updating your keydb, etc. Bluray encryption is constantly updated so they could change something and you're back to square one.

They can even revoke keys which is done automatically to the firmware of your drive as soon as you put the disc in. All of a sudden discs that used to play dont play any more.

Technically it is possible but im not sure its worth the hassle. Obviously if the drive is cheap then go for it. Personally i have the PS3 sitting there so I don't see the point.

• I put the Arctic RC3 version on this evening and LiveTV is working nicely, picks up all the Irish channels

I put the Arctic RC3 version on this evening and LiveTV is working nicely, picks up all the Irish channels

Any difference in boot times or anything else nice? Did you back you xmbc library (like the metadata for the files) before putting the new version on?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭angryInch

I put the Arctic RC3 version on this evening and LiveTV is working nicely, picks up all the Irish channels

Did you have to do any setup to get the tv working? Installed rc3 - arctic build (as an upgrade on rc2 - generic build), but have not got the tv running (the search for channels option is greyed out). What pvr addon did you use?

• neacy69 wrote: »
    Any difference in boot times or anything else nice? Did you back you xmbc library (like the metadata for the files) before putting the new version on?

The main difference is that the TV tuner works. I wouldn't notice if the boot time is quicker or not.
    angryInch wrote: »
    Did you have to do any setup to get the tv working? Installed rc3, but have not got the tv running. What pvr addon did you use?

Yes there is a small bit of setup. I used the TVheadend client. You need to connect to the TVheadend backend from a web browser (on another machine) - x.x.x.x:9981 where xxxx is the IP address of your OpenElec box.

From there you need to
    -enable the tuner (under Config > TV adaptor),
    -add DVB Network by location (choose the nearest site, I used Two Rock)
    -wait until the 'MapDVB channels to location' button goes green and then press it

There's probably a few other steps, I was just following my nose and figuring it out as I went along. I will do a proper guide tomorrow if people are still having trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭IrishGaz

Brill. Thanks for that.
    Do-more wrote: »
    No, not at the moment.

I'll email Arctic now and ask if they are going to come back into stock on Amazon.de at that price but I might not get a reply for a day or two on past form.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭angryInch

Yes there is a small bit of setup. I used the TVheadend client. You need to connect to the TVheadend backend from a web browser (on another machine) - x.x.x.x:9981 where xxxx is the IP address of your OpenElec box.

From there you need to
    -wait until the 'MapDVB channels to location' button goes green and then press it

There's probably a few other steps, I was just following my nose and figuring it out as I went along. I will do a proper guide tomorrow if people are still having trouble.

Excellent, thanks for that.
    Gotta say, loving this mc001 so far.
    Got a treble-boot Win7, Ubuntu, OpenElec set-up on it, using a 120gb sandisk ssd hard drive (picked it up for €60 on eBay).
    Everything booting quickly, perfect living room toy!

I've got it all running - very nice! One criticism would be how narrow the 'field of vision' for the IR receiver in the unit is. But a slight one. The UI is very responsive and one or two hiccups were easily solved.

There is one thing I haven't been able to figure out - can anyone post a link to an easy to follow guide for mounting open elec in windows?

I have the xbmc library on an external HDD connected to the MC001. I was hoping to be able to transfer files over the network to this drive rather than disconnecting it and connecting it to the laptop.

Thanks again lads :)

Edit: Please ignore. Got it working. It's actually more straightforward than I thought. Simply making a shortcut to my desktop and boom!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

IrishGaz wrote: »
    Brill. Thanks for that.

No reply yet about the barebones, but just got an ad on the bottom of this page for the €119.95 model with the DVD drive, which is now back in stock.

invest4deepvalue.com

I've got it all running - very nice! One criticism would be how narrow the 'field of vision' for the IR receiver in the unit is. But a slight one. The UI is very responsive and one or two hiccups were easily solved.

There is one thing I haven't been able to figure out - can anyone post a link to an easy to follow guide for mounting open elec in windows?

I have the xbmc library on an external HDD connected to the MC001. I was hoping to be able to transfer files over the network to this drive rather than disconnecting it and connecting it to the laptop.

Thanks again lads :)

Edit: Please ignore. Got it working. It's actually more straightforward than I thought. Simply making a shortcut to my desktop and boom!

:)
    Could you tell me how you got it working? I havent tried it yet but I was gonna do it tonight...

neacy69 wrote: »
    Could you tell me how you got it working? I havent tried it yet but I was gonna do it tonight...

You can find the ip address of the Artic under System>System info.

Enter this address in the address bar of windows explorer prefaced by two forward slashes ( \\ ).

This will bring the Arctic boot drive up (whether it's a USB stick, HDD or SSD). Then you just navigate to the library folder manually (or the connected external hard drive - I'll give the exact folder where it is later) and just create a shortcut and put it on the desktop.

I then just copied and pasted files onto the external hard drive that was connected to the Arctic via wireless directly.

Warning though: this was very very slow. Even when I connected it via cat 5. I'd only do this for one or two files at a time. For big media transfers I intend on connect to the external HDD directly via USB.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 aminemed

The main difference is that the TV tuner works. I wouldn't notice if the boot time is quicker or not.

From there you need to

So to make tv work in Openelec you need to have another computer running in the house..it's a bit frustrating..!

angryInch wrote: »
    Excellent, thanks for that.
    Gotta say, loving this mc001 so far.
    Got a treble-boot Win7, Ubuntu, OpenElec set-up on it, using a 120gb sandisk ssd hard drive (picked it up for €60 on eBay).
    Everything booting quickly, perfect living room toy!

Can you please tell me how you did that ? i'm willing to make a dual boot between Win8 & Openelec

• aminemed wrote: »
    So to make tv work in Openelec you need to have another computer running in the house..it's a bit frustrating..!
    For the initial setup, yes, you need something with a web browser.. I used a tablet.

You need a computer to create the install stick and you need something with a web broswer to post on this site, so I don't see the issue. If you don't have a computer or you don't like using them, then I would say this type of thing is not for you.

• Advertisement

Thanks, how is windows running on the machine in comparison with openelec, is it fast or painful to make xbmc run there ?

Advertisement