Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Favourite Cook Book/Recipe/Food-related Site?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,744 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I came across Food52.com last week. Some great recipes there. Especially for offal. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

My sister is getting me two Mary Berry cookbooks for Christmas. I know I definitely want the Mary Berry's Complete Cookbook as it was recommended to me. I was then thinking of getting Mary Berry's Cookery Course but I see now she has a new one out called Mary Berry Cooks The Perfect.

I'm not to sure which one to get along with the other one. Would Mary Berry's Cookery Course or Mary Berry Cooks The Perfect be better. Any thoughts would be appreciated :)

Thanks

If you want an exclusive baking book then I would go for Mary Berry's baking bible - great book - anything I have made from it has worked out perfectly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

I just got Persiana by Sabrina Ghayour and Jerusalem by Yotam Ottolenghi and Sami Tamimi. I'm so excited to try out these recipes! Has anyone else got these? What recipes do you recommend? What should I try first? I'm like a kid in a candy shop here!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Definitely recommend the Complete Cookbook. However, the last time I saw the new edition in the bookshop it was a design mess - all over the place. If you can get an older version with simple layout (white pages) then grab it!

I saw the old version at the window display if a local charity shop and wanted to get it but I had no cash on me as I was just dropping my kid off to school. When I went back 3 hours later it was gone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Question. Are there any chefs/restaurants out there where you wish they would do a cookbook, but they haven't (yet)?

I never tired of watching Nic Watt cook. Sometimes on Saturday Kitchen, sometimes on the Food Channel. Always brilliant, always different. No book out yet, and since he left Roka to go back to New Zealand, I'm not sure that there will be one anytime soon.

The other chef I was always intrigued by is Wylie Dufrense at Wd-50 in New York. I read recently that he has a book out in late 2015, published by Anthony Bourdain's Ecco press.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Any recommendations for a fish/seafood cookbook? I have Martin Shanahan's Fishy Fishy one, but I left it at home when I moved so I'm looking for an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,737 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Faith wrote: »
    Any recommendations for a fish/seafood cookbook? I have Martin Shanahan's Fishy Fishy one, but I left it at home when I moved so I'm looking for an alternative.

I've heard great things about The River Cottage Fish Book. I've not read it but I have and love his Meat Book-it's as much a reference book as a recipe book.

Maybe look at Rick Stein too.

Maybe look at Rick Stein too.

+1 for Rick Stein's Fish. I prefer his than River Cottage's.

Minder wrote: »

I never tired of watching Nic Watt cook.

Me neither. *dreamy* *drool*

Anybody got Tom Kerridge's Best Ever Dishes? Any good?

Yep, picked up the big man's book a few weeks ago after browsing through it in a bookshop. Good recipes that aren't reinvented just for the sake of adding a twist. The starters are good; there's a section on soups and salads, I skimmed past the soups but the salads are interesting. Fish section - pointless unless you have a trawlerman in the family or are married to a fishmonger. Best part of the book is the meat mains, and it's the biggest section in the book too. Some corkers in there and the photography is gorgeous. Lots of things I want to try. As always, worth a flick through before buying.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Me neither. *dreamy* *drool*

Anybody got Tom Kerridge's Best Ever Dishes? Any good?

I'm thinking of getting it for Himself for Christmas because he's enjoying the series on tv.
    It's only €23.62 on book Depository, €37.25 from Easons :eek:

I'm thinking of getting it for Himself for Christmas because he's enjoying the series on tv.

Yeah I was looking at that too. Shocking!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Only saw my first episode last night and it was very good. Will defo check out the book. Herself will go bonkers though if another book is squeezed into our kitchen ;)

Wah, didn't even know he has a show. Was wondering what Dizzy was talking about.
    Was at Eason this evening and flicked through the book. It's good, it's very good. I can see myself cooking most of them (even the fish section; better find myself a Mr Wright, heheh). Didn't get it but will hint the husband for my heavy duty stocking filler.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,417 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Wah, didn't even know he has a show. Was wondering what Dizzy was talking about.
    Now let me say first that my family are from his neck of the woods, so I'm no stranger to a West Country accents in general, but his accent is seriously driving me crazy. It's almost as if he's deliberately overdoing it just for TV. He was using lots of "paprikurrr" in one dish today :)

Alun wrote: »
    Now let me say first that my family are from his neck of the woods, so I'm no stranger to a West Country accents in general, but his accent is seriously driving me crazy. It's almost as if he's deliberately overdoing it just for TV. He was using lots of "paprikurrr" in one dish today :)

You mean like how Vicky Pollard talks? :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Update on the Tom Kerridge book - it's on Amazon for £8! With free Super Saver delivery for orders over £10, so I've ordered it and his Pub Food book. Together they came to just over €17 and I'm using Parcel Motel so it's all working out cheaper than one book from Book Depository :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Update on the Tom Kerridge book - it's on Amazon for £8! With free Super Saver delivery for orders over £10, so I've ordered it and his Pub Food book. Together they came to just over €17 and I'm using Parcel Motel so it's all working out cheaper than one book from Book Depository :)

Links?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Links?

Just search for Tom Kerridge book on Amazon.co.uk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

These have probably been mentioned but my favourites are Nigella Express and Avoca Cafe Cookbook :D

Oh and the little green spoon site if I am feeling virtuous! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I put Thomasina Miers book on the Christmas list, can't wait!

Minder, have you received SABA Cookbook? What's it like?

I like! Received the book in very good time from Easons. The book is very good. The introduction is short but the back story is engaging and the photography is brilliant. Recipes are varied, all are labelled as either Thai or Vietnamese. Ingredients are reasonably accessible although I have yet to find betel leaves in any Asian supermarket anywhere. The recipe section may seem a little short for a book of June under 300 pages, it's about half of the book, but there is plenty to be getting on with.

One irritation - some of the print is in large typeface across two pages, making the text hard to read as it disappears into the spine of the book.

IMG_20141225_091109_1_zpsf2lncuou.jpg
    I love you Santa! I believe! I do believe!

i'm always on the look out for a recommendation for a good cookbook. Following delivery of Saba : The Cookbook are there any other recommendations? I'm particularly in the mood for the lightness and complexity of Asian cuisine following the richness of Christmas dining. All and any pointers welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

I'm hoping this cookbook Deliciously Ella will start me onto a healthy new me. Out on 22 January, going to go for the Kindle version. She also has a website.

They include sugar-free, gluten-free and dairy-free recipes. I'm interested in cutting out sugar or reducing my intake from my diet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Really impressed lately with The Natural Cook from Tom Hunt and Persiana from Sabrina Ghayour. In fact, I've cooked several of the lamb dishes from Persiana and they have all turned out amazingly well.

For Asian food, some long-term books I own include Food & Travels Asia by Alastair Hendy, The Food of China (have had this book for over 10 years) and Thai Food by David Thompson

Advertisement