Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Centenary of partition to be commemorated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Is this actually real or another thread set up to slate FG?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Catholics largely vote for SF and the SDLP who both advocate a united Ireland.
    That’s pretty good evidence.
    Some Catholics won’t vote for a UI of course, some Protestants would. But the failure of Ni over the 100 years is that it has always been divided, bitterly, on those lines. It’s a toxic, failed entity.
    Would hope unionists take the time to reflect on how dysfunctional their beloved wee country is as well as celebrating its endurance.
    No its not pretty good evidence. It will all come down to money. In the secrecy of the ballot box the voters will ask themselves under what government will they be better off.
    When push came to shove even that scumbag Brady from "republican" Crossmaglen saw the advantage in having a British passport

• Registered Users Posts: 66,830 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Edgware wrote: »
    saw the advantage in having a British passport

That is actually an hilarious thing to say given the amount of applications for an Irish one coming from eh...Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

No its not pretty good evidence. It will all come down to money. In the secrecy of the ballot box the voters will ask themselves under what government will they be better off.
    When push came to shove even that scumbag Brady from "republican" Crossmaglen saw the advantage in having a British passport

The way people vote is excellent evidence, especially as the Constitutional question has been top of the agenda for decades.
    If it only came down to money there would be no unionists at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Blaaz_ wrote: »
    Cant imagine there would be much to celebrate,its been a failure

Pretty likely we have another 12 to18 months covid restrictions ahead of us anyway....so that will curtail that

We will celebrate. COVID aside obviously. We aren’t a SF funeral. We will try to keep people safe and save lives.

• Advertisement

That is actually an hilarious thing to say given the amount of applications for an Irish one coming from eh...Britain.
    It was an advantage for Brady. ( or so he thought)

Blaaz_ wrote: »
    Tbh mate,chances are this time next year,we will be at 7,000 deaths across the island

I hope im wrong like,but likelyhood of anything other than few hundred at any event worldwide before xmas 2021 is almost zero from what i can see

A rake of big old ira commerations,and hunger striker parades likely to be called off next year too....its a complelty fcuked up time to be alive :(

It is if your whole life is about marching up down a road following the Union Jack, Tricolour or Plough and Stars flags and a few out of tune bands. The rest of us have lives

It was an advantage for Brady. ( or so he thought)

You said it was an advantage 'even' for him.

For many many Britons having an Irish one is an advantage.

Surely having a passport from any country is some kind of advantage?

You said it was an advantage 'even' for him.

For many many Britons having an Irish one is an advantage.
    Yes. Every passport has its advantages and some have disadvantages depending on the circumstances in which it is used. Brady would be getting pissed in some kip and singing A nation once again with all the other bar stool republicans but when he needed it he toddled off and got a British passport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

timthumbni wrote: »
    We will celebrate.

Celebrate what?

Yes. Every passport has its advantages and some have disadvantages depending on the circumstances in which it is used. Brady would be getting pissed in some kip and singing A nation once again with all the other bar stool republicans but when he needed it he toddled off and got a British passport

What has Brady got to do with the Centenary Of Partition?

Surely the relevant 'dig' would be at the people that will be celebrating NI clamouring en-masse to get themselves Irish passports this last while?

Celebrate what?

The centenary of Northern Ireland obviously. You know the answer to this question fine well but decide to post a nonsensical question.

The centenary of Northern Ireland obviously. You know the answer to this question fine well but decide to post a nonsensical question.

But as I asked in another thread, what is there to celebrate? It’s a political failure, it’s the most bitterly divided place in Western Europe, a huge amount of its citizens don’t even want it to exist and its economy is very weak .
    Surely a time for reflection rather than celebration.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I really don't know the answer to it. Normal people celebrate positive events. What exactly came out of the north/partition that was positive?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I really don't know the answer to it. Normal people celebrate positive events. What exactly came out of the north/partition that was positive?

Celebrating the 100th successive year that Britain didn't manage to jettison them.

Yet.

I'm kinda looking forward to it myself. It is going to be a year that will point up brilliantly how much of a failure it was and is.

'The Year Of Putting Lipstick On A Pig' would be apt if we named years like the Chinese do.

It could be quite a bittersweet event for thoughtful unionists, I think. The big question that will loom is has partition been a failure or a success? I think it’s very hard to genuinely argue it has been a success. Maybe it’ll lead to some political change and unionists may attempt to be more inclusive as a result.

Newton Emerson reminding us of this doozy in the Sunday Times.

EfiboOsWsAIYqnI?format=jpg&name=large

I wonder what they'll come up with for the 100 years - 'Ulster 2020 - Hypocrisy and Ignoring The Past Aplenty'?

Newton Emerson reminding us of this doozy in the Sunday Times.

EfiboOsWsAIYqnI?format=jpg&name=large

I wonder what they'll come up with for the 100 years - 'Ulster 2020 - Hypocrisy and Ignoring The Past Aplenty'?

The centenary year would be 2021.

• Advertisement

The centenary year would be 2021.

True: Ulster 2021 - Hypocrisy and Ignoring the Past Will Be Overdone'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 onh81

A good opportunity to remind the world (lol) of what NI was about, the sectarianism, the bigotry, the hate, the discrimination, the triumphalism, the gerrymandering, internment, killings, bombings, pogroms, the utter social and economic failure.

The centenary of a failed, anti-Irish, anti-Catholic, economic basket-case state is no cause for celebration.

onh81 wrote: »

The centenary of a failed, anti-Irish, anti-Catholic, economic basket-case state is no cause for celebration.

I take it you won’t be celebrating it yourself then. Such is life.

As I said before celebrations would likely be big but due to COVID the whole thing could be curtailed just like the 12th July celebrations this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,866 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Handy excuse, that.

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 onh81

As I said before celebrations would likely be big but due to COVID the whole thing could be curtailed just like the 12th July celebrations this year.
    Definitely not. Nothing really to celebrate.

Have you told us yet what you will be 'celebrating'?

Can you itemise what you see as worthy of celebration?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,205 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Celebrate what?

Well. Obviously a century of racism, bigotry, repression, sectarianism, middle age attitudes and sexism

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Like the Famine is something to commemorate but not celebrate, partition should be marked but not celebrated. Even for unionists, it meant the majority of what had been their country leaving the Union.
    Dunno how the Republic is supposed to act, our politicians don’t want to insult anyone, but there’s nothing to be positive about partition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Imagine being a government politician and invited to such a farce. I wouldn't envy who ever gets the short straw.
    Should get Southpark to put on a show:
    'Still hanging around like a bad smell, Partition! The musical'

• Advertisement

Like the Famine is something to commemorate but not celebrate, partition should be marked but not celebrated. Even for unionists, it meant the majority of what had been their country leaving the Union.
    Dunno how the Republic is supposed to act, our politicians don’t want to insult anyone, but there’s nothing to be positive about partition.

In respectful memory of all who have died our government should not go near anything that is couched as a 'celebration'.

Advertisement