Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice on college social life

• 05-08-2020 2:38pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm definitely certain that I'll be going to college in a month as I met the minimum requirements. My question is, should I bother with the social life (girlfriends, partying).

Now you might say it's important but I should just focus on school on weekdays and get a part time job on the weekends. They think I shouldn't engage in a social life.

I'm already a late bloomer. (Will be going to college when I'm 22) and have never worked. As someone pointed out, it's a bit embarrassing given how many former classmates are already working and living by themselves.

I just fear that social life will be a distraction. And my parents tend to agree as they say college is 10x harder than Leaving Cert or PLC.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

You will need some social life. You won't be able to function fully academically or at work without it. It doesn't have to consist of partying all the time. Join clubs and socs and go to the meet ups and build your friendships that way. Make friends with a diverse a group of people as you can, international students, mature students, postgrads. This is the best opportunity you will ever have to get to know such a wide range of people in one place and it will do you good. Don't worry about being a late bloomer. I was 33 going to university and it was the best thing I ever did for myself and not because I gained academic qualifications. It's never too late to bloom and you should never stop.

Good luck with it, Mr F

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

College is more than just obtaining a qualification, it's often the first time students live away from home and begin to use /learn life skills that make them a functioning adult. Things like sharing a flat with unrelated people, budgeting their own finances, being entirely responsible for getting themselves out every morning, feeding themselves for example are all life skills that you learn in addition to obtaining your qualification.

So a balance of both study and social life is what you should be aiming for. Don't let one overly eclipse the other but prioritise the study side of things especially for exams or other deadlines.

Advertisement