Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer job

• 02-08-2020 8:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Ok so i’m really stressed about this at the moment. I have tried searching for jobs everywhere, I handed out CVs and I am applying for jobs on Indeed but I can’t seem to find a job and all my friends are working and it’s really stressing me out. I applied for local babysitting jobs but they all want someone with a full licence. I am due to start college this year and I need money. What do I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,941 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Ok so i’m really stressed about this at the moment. I have tried searching for jobs everywhere, I handed out CVs and I am applying for jobs on Indeed but I can’t seem to find a job and all my friends are working and it’s really stressing me out. I applied for local babysitting jobs but they all want someone with a full licence. I am due to start college this year and I need money. What do I do?

Hey there.
    If all your friends are currently working, use them as a way of networking.
    Tell them all you've tried your best and that you've had no luck.
    Ask them to have a word with their managers and say that they know someone who's available immediately and has a CV ready and can come in to meet them at their earliest convenience.
    Often jobs are filled through word of mouth.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭kapisko1PL

Definitely ask your friends for help.

I got a job at the local hotel only because my mum worked there.

Then I brought my brother there and he spoke to a restaurant manager who didn't really seem to like him. On the way out we were stopped by a duty manager (who was also my mum's friend) and she spoke to him briefly for about 10 mins and he came out from the office all happy because he got the job.

Definitely try your friends. If not, walk around local business and personally ask to speak to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

Didn’t you have a thread that your parents were going to cover your accommodation, and you had something like 8k saved?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

What can you do, other than keep applying?

Are many places hiring at the moment?

If it's a summer job you're after do your CV up and go knocking on doors. Your local supermarket, pub, restaurant etc.

Why do you need a full licence to be a babysitter?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,941 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Why do you need a full licence to be a babysitter?

She's right. Usually babysitting requires pick ups from creches or come late August play school or primary school.
    You'd need a car and a full licence because there'd be no full licence driver accompanying.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

She's right. Usually babysitting requires pick ups from creches or come late August play school or primary school.
    You'd need a car and a full licence because there'd be no full licence driver accompanying.

I was associating babysitter with a teenage job while parents go out. But maybe the OP means a child minder?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

OP you've posted the same thing in several forums over the last month. I understand your stressed but the advice isn't going to massively change from forum to forum or over time. You are in a better position then some starting college in that your parents are covering tuition and rent, many people don't get anything covered. With the current situation a lot of business aren't open still or are running with limited staff. The ones that are busy like supermarkets are were you should go in and ask or as has been suggested as your friends but don't put pressure on them to get you hired, as I said many companies are limiting the number of staff they have in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Tork

Barbiegirl, I mean this in the nicest way. If this is stressing you out so much and you're posting all over boards about it, you might need to keep an eye on your mental health. Starting college can be a very stressful experience and if you've got a tendency to be anxious, it's something to be watched even more closely. Now is the time to put some pillars in place to ensure you don't run into difficulties. Have you spoken to your parents about this?

For many young people, this summer is going to be a disaster when it comes to part-time work. Many businesses are struggling as it is and if they can get through the pandemic and its aftermath, they'll be doing well. If I remember your other thread, you said you already had several thousand euros saved up and that your parents were going to pay your fees and accommodation. That puts you in a much better position than many of your peers. Why are you losing the plot over this? As long as you't go mad spending money during the college year, you'll be grand. Also, you might be able to get yourself a job later in the year. Seriously, if this is stressing you out so much you need to keep an eye on things.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

If you are only perusing websites to find work then you are wasting your time. If you've no experience on your CV it'll get filtered out.

A couple of more direct methods are:

Networking - a friend who knows of a job going, a relative who can put in a good word are all tried and tested strategies.

Go to your local town with copies of your CV and neatly dressed. Look for signs in the windows walk in, introduce yourself to the manager, hand over a CV, be friendly and polite and see what turns up.

Advertisement