Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lizzy's Walrus - LizWalrus

• 19-07-2020 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84,817 ✭✭✭✭

What Is Walrus?

Walrus is a game wherein you select music, & other people judge your music. The standard Walrus usually has 1 host who selects all the categories and a bunch of people submit songs (1 per category) and the host judges all the songs in each category which here will be me.

Why Am I Doing This?

I have enjoyed others so thought why not try it out.

What Kind of Music Am I Into?

I listen to all kinds of everything and I mean everything

Categories

1. Decadence - I am looking for songs by artists who has had hits in five decades, the decades do not have to be consecutive

2. A Star is Born Where - I am looking for songs by artists from a reality show, variety show, talent show, You Tube, so many artists discovered somewhere

3. Sporting - I am looking for songs used in sporting events from entrance themes, ppv event themes, soccer footie anthems, any song sports related

4. TV Moment - I am not looking for tv opening and closing credit themes instead I am looking for a song used in a tv show at a particular moment or an original song written for a tv show e.g. Don't Stop Believin (Glee and The Sopranos) Chubby Little Loser (Extras)

5. Crossover - So many artists have crossovered genres and sectors, Pink started RnB moved to Rock and Pop, Taylor Swift from Country to Pop and Cher from singer to movie actress, any song by a crossover artist in any format

6. Bands Solo - I am looking for songs by artists who had hits in a band but also as solo artists

7. Guilty Pleasure - Any song which your guilty pleasure

I have not a deadline set yet as do not want to disturb any ongoing or upcoming games

I hope you will play along and submit your choices and if you need any clarity please ask, enjoy ;)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Bump.

Some of these are quite tough, #4 is the only one I know exactly what to pick. I've an artist in mind for #2 but haven't decided which song yet. The rest will require a lot of thinking; gives me something to keep the mind occupied this weekend! :)

For #6, can we submit either a 'band' hit or a solo hit, or would you rather have one over the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Some of these are quite tough, #4 is the only one I know exactly what to pick. I've an artist in mind for #2 but haven't decided which song yet. The rest will require a lot of thinking; gives me something to keep the mind occupied this weekend! :)

For #6, can we submit either a 'band' hit or a solo hit, or would you rather have one over the other?

I am sorted for number 4 (though it's a rather obvious choice), and I also have numbers 1 and 3, and the artist for number 2.

5, 6 and 7 will be the ones that need thinking.
    For 5 (crossover) nothing comes to mind, so I need to investigate.
    Too many choices for 6, I don't know where to begin.
    and guilty pleasure? I don't like this phrase in general, if i like something I like it and don't care what other people think!!! :D

Great categories Liz, very wide scope for selections!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 84,817 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

6 can be a song by the solo artist or the band it doesn't matter as long as the band song submitted has the artist in it at the time

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I'll be entering this eve, have (most) of my picks earmarked already just want to have a think about 2 of the categories

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

In :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

And selections sent!!

The categories were really awesome and a perfect chance for me to make a couple of obscure choices, so I decided to abandon any hope of winning and go with it!!

Thank you for organising this Liz, really looking forward to the reveal!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

And done!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Entries Submitted. Some great categories.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Looks interesting, will submit this weekend. Cheers Liz!

• Advertisement

Ok, think I've settled on 6 of my 7. Still mulling over #1 though.

How strict will you be on the definition of "hits"? Is it ok to submit an artist who's released music in five different decades, even if they didn't necessarily have a charting single each time? Or do we need a chart hit (e.g. Irish or UK Top 40) for each decade?

Ok, think I've settled on 6 of my 7. Still mulling over #1 though.

How strict will you be on the definition of "hits"? Is it ok to submit an artist who's released music in five different decades, even if they didn't necessarily have a charting single each time? Or do we need a chart hit (e.g. Irish or UK Top 40) for each decade?

Yes that is fine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

With 2 & 4 are you looking for clips of a talent/tv show or just the song?

Ok, choices submitted. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Gru

Entered...i look forward to reclaiming my mid table slot after the last 3 disastrous walrus'ses's :D

Gru wrote: »
    Entered...i look forward to reclaiming my mid table slot after the last 3 disastrous walrus'ses's :D

Weren't you right up the top in my Walrus? Has there been 3 since then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Gru

Weren't you right up the top in my Walrus? Has there been 3 since then?

ah yeah i meant Irish Aris, Shane's, and the one i entered which never ends :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

I am quite convinced that I will prevail!

....with the wooden spoon as my companion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Work is crazy, when is this open until? I'd love to enter :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,335 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Can't believe I'm only spotting this now. Are entries still being accepted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

I want to enter but it'll be the weekend before I can submit a list, hope that's alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

In!

You'll never guess what my guilty pleasure was! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

My guilty pleasure was a song i like from an artist who released one of the most annoying songs ever

ShaneU wrote: »
    In!

You'll never guess what my guilty pleasure was! :D
    Sawduck wrote: »
    My guilty pleasure was a song i like from an artist who released one of the most annoying songs ever
    Ah Shaddap ya face by Joe Dolce?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Ah Shaddap ya face by Joe Dolce?

That's a downright classic. I won't hear a bad word said against it.

quickbeam wrote: »

I agree.

quickbeam wrote: »
    Easy QB. I never said it was bad, just that some people have that opinion :)

I want to enter but it'll be the weekend before I can submit a list, hope that's alright.

Yes sure

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Do I still have time? struggling on 2 categories but will send my PM tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

That first category is an absolute head scratcher :)

Advertisement