Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FF/FG/Green Next Government

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Nobody wants MeHole Martian to be taoiseach.
    FF do and it's all about the numbers. Together they have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,438 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Leo waiting until 2022 to become Taoiseach makes me think there will be an election in 2022...

Yeah it's only a year and a half as Taoiseach which does come across as michael Martin getting the FF taoiseach card stamped so he's not the odd one out and then he'll pull the plug. I mean I hope that doesn't happen but it's easy to be read that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

So Fail the Gaels have another chance to destroy this Country. Now with Greens along for the ride. We won't have a pot left to piss in once these traitors are done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭landofthetree

No party could even get 25% of the 62% of people who bothered to vote.

So that's means no party got more that 15.5% of the electorate to vote for them.

No leader can claim to be the popular choice for Taoiseach.

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    So Fail the Gaels have another chance to destroy this Country. Now with Greens along for the ride. We won't have a pot left to piss in once these traitors are done.

The world economy as always will decide.

You give governments far to much credit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Was speaking to a mate of mine recently and we were saying how this Pandemic could help to re-awaken rural Ireland.

Lots of people moved from cities to where I live and worked from home since March.

Speaking to a few of them they said that they would not return if they had the choice. I think employers will have to re-think how people work from now on.

This would help deal with rural de-population, lead to more small businesses opening and staying open in rural Ireland.

But with the Greens in government along with Dublin centric Leo/Pascal/Murphy etc, rural Ireland wont get a fair chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I bet they dont, never heard of him

Load of people want Michael Martin so lucky for us it looks like he will be

That was a close call I think :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,192 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Yeah it's only a year and a half as Taoiseach which does come across as michael Martin getting the FF taoiseach card stamped so he's not the odd one out and then he'll pull the plug. I mean I hope that doesn't happen but it's easy to be read that way.

December 2022 is 30 months away, half the term of government.

BPKS wrote: »
    Was speaking to a mate of mine recently and we were saying how this Pandemic could help to re-awaken rural Ireland.

Lots of people moved from cities to where I live and worked from home since March.

Speaking to a few of them they said that they would not return if they had the choice. I think employers will have to re-think how people work from now on.

This would help deal with rural de-population, lead to more small businesses opening and staying open in rural Ireland.

But with the Greens in government along with Dublin centric Leo/Pascal/Murphy etc, rural Ireland wont get a fair chance.

This post shows the level of ignorance out there about Green politics. There is no bigger advocate of remote working than the Greens.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

is_that_so wrote: »
    FF do and it's all about the numbers. Together they have them.

theres a lot of FF members still wondering why he was allowed remain leader, they'll grumble their way through to 2022 knowing FF's most useless leader can then be shipped off into the sunset and somebody decent can take over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

So - and I appreciate it was a split vote, but still they gave them the numbers - after years and years of working class people being exploited, of tax payers being ignored, of public transport hellish stagnation, of rents making it impossible for people who work in Dublin to live anywhere near Dublin, of houses being completely unaffordable to the average earner......the voters decided we need more of all that. Only the rich are allowed to live. The early risers must rot in the mud.

Truly incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Well it would actually be really good for the environment if more people worked from home. So it would be an advantage for everyone and would be great for small towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭antimatterx

blanch152 wrote: »
    December 2022 is 36 months away, half the term of government.

I take it maths isn't your strong suit.

December 2022 is ~30 months away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I think you should have a read of this

https://www.greenparty.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Green-Party-Employment-Policy.pdf

Also here is more recent: https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/parties-agree-public-servants-could-work-from-home-one-day-a-week-1002573.html

It is understood that Green Party negotiator Róisín Garvey pushed for 40% of work in the public sector to be allowed done remotely, but that Tánaiste Simon Coveney, for Fine Gael, was against this because of concerns about productivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,447 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

p-U8HxaWeqXmIbqfG-PvlqOH_Li6Burw9WrTTzeqCjnjQMWibUWPwuouh2bKhvx39apYrxsr6AnMEvn6lAk_VKCjuDCIZN-Aq2s3uFxTgNas5PHz-kyH6EpcKwRyz7M_bcYo10atgSFc5gAH4EWB9xE

Yes, 30 months, but half of the five years was correct.

The_Brood wrote: »
    So - and I appreciate it was a split vote, but still they gave them the numbers - after years and years of working class people being exploited, of tax payers being ignored, of public transport hellish stagnation, of rents making it impossible for people who work in Dublin to live anywhere near Dublin, of houses being completely unaffordable to the average earner......the voters decided we need more of all that. Only the rich are allowed to live. The early risers must rot in the mud.

Truly incredible.

What do you mean working class? Low paid?

I know tradesmen who are paid more that Architects.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Funny the SF fans have been banging that drum for months now.

So much for voting for "change" with SF. Still looking for the "change" down the back of the couch at this stage

Well FF and FG both stated after the results people have clearly voted for change.

This is not change, same old same old

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Does today's announcement actually surprise anybody? This was on the cards for months at this stage, rotating taoiseach and all.

It's also tiresome listening to people whinge about same old same old. It is what it is. The people who bothered their arses to go out and vote did so in sufficient proportions to allow this coalition. It is clearly "the will of the people". And don't bother throwing numbers saying that X% of people didn't vote for them etc. If you didn't vote, you don't count... shut up!

I would have liked to see, but never optimistic about, a SF/FG coalition.
    Anyway, if this government doesn't do something pretty good, they'll have opened the gate for a bigger SF vote next time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Oh it is change
    If its passed by the Greens required number and the new government plays the next 5 years well,I'd expect opposition parties especially SF to fall back to base support levels

Well FF and FG both stated after the results people have clearly voted for change.

It is change, it is the first FG have gone into coalition with the Greens.

It is the first time that FF have gone into coalition with FG.

That means that two of the three link-ups are unprecedented and new and represent a change to everything that has gone before.

It may not have been the change that you and others wanted, but the fact is that it is unprecedented change.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

No party could even get 25% of the 62% of people who bothered to vote.

So that's means no party got more that 15.5% of the electorate to vote for them.

No leader can claim to be the popular choice for Taoiseach.

A poll done a few days ago show 48% support for Leo as next Taoiseach and only 18% for MeHole.

FF FG Greens got 50.2% of the vote.

Add in Lab and 55% of people voted for parties who have been in government in the last 13 years.

A poll done a few days ago show 48% support for Leo as next Taoiseach and only 18% for MeHole.

Polls don't matter. Elections do.

Does today's announcement actually surprise anybody? This was on the cards for months at this stage, rotating taoiseach and all.

It's also tiresome listening to people whinge about same old same old. It is what it is. The people who bothered their arses to go out and vote did so in sufficient proportions to allow this coalition. It is clearly "the will of the people". And don't bother throwing numbers saying that X% of people didn't vote for them etc. If you didn't vote, you don't count... shut up!

I would have liked to see, but never optimistic about, a SF/FG coalition.
    Anyway, if this government doesn't do something pretty good, they'll have opened the gate for a bigger SF vote next time.

That's the bottom line.

At the end of the day any combination that can reach 80TDs has a mandate to govern.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I mean okay they've gotten a draft programme for government but it still has to be voted on by the members of each party and the Green Party need 66% yes for the motion to pass. Is that a given ?

Green party members would be mad in the head to reject this deal. Given they have only 12 seats they have extracted a high price from FFG. That said Green party members are a bit mad in the head anyway so you never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

blanch152 wrote: »
    It is change, it is the first FG have gone into coalition with the Greens.

It is the first time that FF have gone into coalition with FG.

That means that two of the three link-ups are unprecedented and new and represent a change to everything that has gone before.

It may not have been the change that you and others wanted, but the fact is that it is unprecedented change.

Strangely reminiscent of the brief but dramatic change that occurred when my old Uncle Neville switched from drinking Malt whisky to drinking paraquat - although that was an unintentional change.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

Does anyone think it will mean the start of a process when FF and FG will end up becoming a single party? Not as soon as you'd think but 5 years down the road?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Cal4567 wrote: »
    Does anyone think it will mean the start of a process when FF and FG will end up becoming a single party? Not as soon as you'd think but 5 years down the road?

If that were to happen, this would be a logical starting point. However I don't think it will happen. Some issue will arise during the life of this government which will cause FF and FG to part ways. It'll be some nonsense or other, and on any other occasion who is on what side could be reversed, but it will keep the dividing line between parties there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement