Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Keeper league

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭BigBadRob83

After reflection, I think 1 keeper league will do me and the regualr season league (so 2 leagues).
    Can I have my name taken off ehre if possible?
    I need to spend more time with people this summer....

No worries man, will take your name off the list

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

Ok, you can put me down for both keepers, although I'd be happy to step out of the new keeper if any newcomers come by and need the spot

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭bit of red72

Hi folks, didn't realise this thread was running. Count me in for the 2011 keeper league continuation. I was the one who jettisoned Mauer and Ethier towards the end of last - not realising it was going to be a keeper. Still, you live and learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 lankythecamel

Hi folks, didn't realise this thread was running. Count me in for the 2011 keeper league continuation. I was the one who jettisoned Mauer and Ethier towards the end of last - not realising it was going to be a keeper. Still, you live and learn.
    Tolka Drakes will compete in the keeper league and if you need to fill out the new league count me in

Alright lads, have updated the list.
    8 people interested in the second keeper league so far, minimum of 10 to set it up and can have up to 20.

When we finalise the numbers I will set up a poll somewhere so we can all decide the league rules (draft type, trades, rosters, etc.)

Interested
    1. UCD AFC
    2. Iang87
    3. WallyWanka
    4. BigBadRob83
    5. Masked Man
    6. brilliantboy
    7. 8-10
    8. lankythecamel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Hi guys, we have a new Fantasy Sports forum for all sports:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1535

I have started a thread on the keeper league:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056549970

Maybe we can use this thread moving forward and keep this forum to baseball chat only?

Have set up a poll for people to vote on what the rules, makeup, etc. of the keeper league should be: http://www.surveytool.com/s/SB292AF116

Any suggestions on stuff to be added to the league, drop me PM to let me know. Anyone who is partaking in Keeper League 2.0 should complete the poll so we all have a say in how it is structured.

Going to use ESPN for this league, have used a few sites over the years and from what I can tell it's the best free one out there (customisation options are immense, free App will be out in time for season)
    http://games.espn.go.com/frontpage/baseball

You can see what a standard league looks like at bottom of this page: http://games.espn.go.com/flb/resources/help/content?name=league-types

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭UCD AFC

I filled out the survey, but this year will be my first year playing fantasy, so I'm very open to any options and I'll learn fast I'm sure (like I did with fantasy NFL :p )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

survey done and signed up to espn. Looking forward to this. especially with an app

Good stuff lads, only need two more people before we're ready to kick it off then. Some interesting responses to the survey so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭boccy23

Right. I think this is the place for the continuing Keeper League.
    Here goes anyway.
    Reactivated this week and we have 9 of the 12 returning team owners signed up already. I will PM the other 3 owners to see if they will continue. I am confident they will do so.
    If not then we will try and get 3 new owners to take over the existing teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

boccy23 wrote: »
    Right. I think this is the place for the continuing Keeper League.
    Here goes anyway.
    Reactivated this week and we have 9 of the 12 returning team owners signed up already. I will PM the other 3 owners to see if they will continue. I am confident they will do so.
    If not then we will try and get 3 new owners to take over the existing teams.

Any interest on adding an extra batter and pitching category?

Was thinking that in the pitching something like Holds could really make people really dig deep onto the middle of the order relievers. Forces people to have balanced pitching rosters to cover wins, saves and holds?

Not got a strong opinion on the extra batting category! But one would be needed to make it a 6x6 H2H league!

When we get everyone set up, we can easily look at adding a catagory. In batting terms, Hits, would be one catagory maybe.

In terms of pitching, I have played with Holds and it is an extremely arbitrary stat. More luck than anything else. Maybe QS (Quality Starts) might be one or evern replacing wins with QS and adding another catagory might be worth looking into.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

OBP I reckon for the extra batting category, rewards the players with good plate discipline. For the pitching category, I'm easy whatever is chosen but maybe K/BB could be considered?

Right lads. Just to let you know, we have 2 managers from last year, "Machete" and "The Southern Dandies" who are definitely out. Still waiting for "Henry le Cheat" to come back to me. He was active last year, so hopeful he will sign up again.

If we do get to 10, will we run with 10 or open up the above two teams to an additional 2 owners to keep the league at 12?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Right lads. Just to let you know, we have 2 managers from last year, "Machete" and "The Southern Dandies" who are definitely out. Still waiting for "Henry le Cheat" to come back to me. He was active last year, so hopeful he will sign up again.

If we do get to 10, will we run with 10 or open up the above two teams to an additional 2 owners to keep the league at 12?

I'd assume Coeus will be back, hes active in the hockey league atm

I think it might be better to keep it at 10 seeing as its a continuation of last years.

I'd assume Coeus will be back, hes active in the hockey league atm

I think it might be better to keep it at 10 seeing as its a continuation of last years.
    That was kinda my thinking as well. 2 teams that aren't signing up are poor. Finished the bottom 2 last season.

Right we have the 10 signed up. Are all hapy to proceed on this basis. Keeps it fairer IMO. Also, we wil then just throw the players on the other 2 teams back into the draft player pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

I'm good with 10 teams.

yep 10 sounds good

• Advertisement

Ok. 10 teams it is then.

League is set and each team must decide on its 6 keepers by 25th of March.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Hey Guys, I signed up a few days ago. I was away for the last 2 weeks and didnt have much net access but my team is now there :)

Re adding cats I like adding holds for pitching. For batting I suggest OPS which is on base percentage and slugging. We can always throw up a poll.

Im cool with 10 aswell. Are we gonna add extra roster spots? The free agent pool will be much shallower with only 10 teams.

I definitely like the OBP and maybe quality starts to the pitching maybe even Ks/9.

I've no problem with an extra roster spot given the quality of teams are going to improve. Should make trade activity a little more lively too

Ok keepers have been selected. Anyone who was hoping they'd be getting Gonzo best come up with an awesome trade offer

Ok. 10 teams it is then.

This date is fine for picking the keepers but I just noticed that the draft is set for March 30th which is after the 2 games in Japan. If these 2 games are to be included in the week 1 scoring we will have to draft before the 28th. I'm good with any night (25th, 26th or 27th) in the few days before that series starts...

Coeus wrote: »
    Ok. 10 teams it is then.

This date is fine for picking the keepers but I just noticed that the draft is set for March 30th which is after the 2 games in Japan. If these 2 games are to be included in the week 1 scoring we will have to draft before the 28th. I'm good with any night (25th, 26th or 27th) in the few days before that series starts...
    How about we make it a week earlier alround?

How about we make it a week earlier alround?
    Keeper date is fine, according to the league the keepers must be picked by 8am on the morning of the March 25th so I'll pick mine the day before. We can have the draft that night. A week earlier is Paddies weekend and some peops may not be around.

Can't do a poll on an existing thread so, these are some of the outstanding points. Can each member please look at these and reply or send me a PM:

Draft Date:
    Sunday, 25th, Monday 26th or Tuesday 27th.

Max Aquisitions:
    6 now. Do we need to increase?

Min Innings pitched:
    Set at 7. Do we need to increase?

Batters Catagories:
    OBP / OPS / Hits / Walks

Pitcher Catagories:
    Complete Games / Quality Starts / Losses / Shutouts / Holds / Ks per 9 / Ks per Walk ratio

Roster Make Up:
    Set at 1IF / 2 UTIL. Do we add a Corner Infielder or Middle Infielder or another outfielder. Roster size set at 5 bench. Increase to 7 with smaller league size?

If we can finalise these, then I can set these before Keeper date of 25th March.

In answer to my own questions:

Draft Date:
    Sunday, 25th

Max Aquisitions:
    6 now. Do we need to increase? 10

Min Innings pitched:
    Set at 7. Do we need to increase? 25 (Puts a preium on quality starting pitching)

Batters Catagories:
    OBP

Pitcher Catagories:
    Ks per 9

Roster Make Up:
    4th outfielder.
    Increase to 7

• Advertisement

Here are my thoughts...

Draft Date:
    Sunday, 25th, Monday 26th or Tuesday 27th.
    I can do any 3 nights from 9 pm on. I think keeper league 2.0 is going to be set for Mon 26th according to the threads here. I havn't set a date for the non-keeper league yet so Sun 25th is free wink.gif

Max Aquisitions:
    6 now. Do we need to increase?
    With less teams I was thinking increase aswell. My initial reasoning for 6 keepers was to put more talent back in the draft pool but with 2 teams been dissolved there is less of a need. I would go for 8 with the current roster size.

Min Innings pitched:
    Set at 7. Do we need to increase?
    Yea, I guess there is no harm increasing. Think I was passing 50 innings pitched most gameweeks last season. Increasing to 25 innings is fine by me.

Batters Catagories:
    OBP / OPS / Hits / Walks
    OPS.

Pitcher Catagories:
    Complete Games / Quality Starts / Losses / Shutouts / Holds / Ks per 9 / Ks per Walk ratio
    Of the above, Holds as all players who dominate that stat will be available in the draft.

Roster Make Up:
    Set at 1IF / 2 UTIL. Do we add a Corner Infielder or Middle Infielder or another outfielder. Roster size set at 5 bench. Increase to 7 with smaller league size?
    If we go for holds as the pitching stat I would add a pitcher position, we can probably add this anyway. In the fielding positions I would remove the 1IF and add 1CIF and 1MIF. Then maybe increase the bench size to 6 and add another DL position.

Advertisement