Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Am I wrong for getting annoyed if people refer to me as English ?

• 19-09-2013 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭

I was born on the border to a Scottish family and grew up on the English side. But I don't really identify as English, I mean it was always St Andrew's day, Burn's supper, Rugby at Murrayfield etc.

I am kinda worried I don't want to have to have different nationality than the rest of my family. I guess I am vaguely English since I lived there but I just never felt at home there, I had no idea about St.George's day (I never knew when it was until I went to Uni in the Midlands and saw guys bizzarely in chain male etc)

Sad fact is that I don't really fit in with both, I never got either a Scottish or English accent (since my family and friends had very different accents I never developed one)

I find national boundaries bizzare concepts to be honest.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

You could call yourself British and handily avoid the question? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Mooby

I know what you mean. I have what people consider an English accent even though I grew up here. I don't get annoyed when they ask but it does get boring answering the same question over and over and over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

I have a lot of experience with this also on a national level.
    Having lived in many different parts of Ireland including across the border up north, I have had people call me a free stater up north cause of my strong dublin accent and a northy sometimes when i first came back because of my slight northern accent.
    Before that in Dublin city I was a cultchie because of my varied country accents from the west and south and in the country i am a dub because of my dublin accent..

When someone asks me " where are you from" my brain overloads and I breakdown and cry in a corner rocking myself to sleep :p

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭ivyQ

I came across a website dedicated to this topic last year , children who grow up in a setting that they cant identify with or anyone and feel kinda isolated as a result .....its very very common ,so try to take some reassurance in knowing you are not alone ....

I thought I had bookmarked the website but nope ... I will keep searching though and post it when /if I find it again ,:)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭colosus1908

Sometimes you just need to smile and nod your head. Save you time and effort.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

You're Scottish if born to a Scottish family and perceive yourself as such, it's probably less the case with Scots but there's a particular type of Irish person who thinks having an ''Oirish'' accent and birth cert makes them a hero and would even denigrate the likes of Dermot O'Leary or Shane MacGowan as not being members of their ''exclusive club''.

Advertisement