Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

o1s1n wrote: »
    Must be quite a bit of space inside if that's true.

They're practically empty shells. The emulation is handled in a small box on the back of the screen, and the control panel innards are all self enclosed...both connect together via what appears to be an old IDE ribbon cable. The cabinet itself is pretty much empty space, so I'm not surprised someone mounted a crt in one. That said, 13"/14" is pretty small...and I doubt the depth of the cab would fit a 21"...so you'd need to find a weird 17/19" 15Khz screen....

• Registered Users Posts: 34,406 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

JVC do pro monitors in the 17 inch size which would look absolutely gorgeous, you'd get that whole thick scanlike 15k arcade look.

I guess the only problem you might run into there is depth as pro monitors are generally a bit deeper than regular CRTs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Hmm,
    I've a few displays here...
    I sense this rabbit hole goes a long way down

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Got new PSU and harness for the MK2 cab so its just about ready to go

Cant find my jamma board of it.....to say im going insane is an understatement. I remember putting it somewhere really safe but forgot where that is. Searched inside every box and every cab I have

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Where's the cheapest place to get a MK2 cab with riser lads?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Video quality is a little shocken, must just be using a composite input maybe from a Pi?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭Doge

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Video quality is a little shocken, must just be using a composite input maybe from a Pi?

It says a pc is inside in the description. Perhaps using an S-video output which we all know sucks on PCs?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭Doge

Limpy wrote: »
    Where's the cheapest place to get a MK2 cab with riser lads?

Looks like Smyths is your only bet in Ireland @ €400 with the riser.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Cool. Now to convince herself I need it lol.

I've a 13" arcade CRT in the garage if anyone wants it ?
    I believe its working ,I think I got it off catahldub .
    I'm never going to use it ,i've a million projects on .
    Any looking for a 19" arcade crt?I think I have 2 there.
    I know one isnt working for sure and doubt the other does.

• Advertisement

Need a degaussing wand.
    My donkey kong has gone completely wacky out of the blue(lots of blue and purple and green!).

Anyone got one for sale ?quick search and all i see is the green stick of death .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

An electric drill can do the job,plugin AC one now and not a battery jobbie.

An electric drill can do the job,plugin AC one now and not a battery jobbie.

I'll try that later.
    I made one before with a degauss coil,a 50 watt bulb and a lightswitch but no idea where it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I have a unused green wand of death I'll send you up

I have a unused green wand of death I'll send you up

:D
    I'll see how the drill goes

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Any idea of the type ? I have mozie's old universal cosmic monsters ii cocktail and would be great to have a spare given how hard they are to get hold of these days. I think it is a 13 but would have to check. That being said, I think you meant for folks that want to convert their arcade1up...
    I've a 13" arcade CRT in the garage if anyone wants it ?
    I believe its working ,I think I got it off catahldub .
    I'm never going to use it ,i've a million projects on .
    Any looking for a 19" arcade crt?I think I have 2 there.
    I know one isnt working for sure and doubt the other does.

If you need one it's yours.
    I've never had a cocktail so I don't know.
    19" or 13"

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

13 - I'll pop the hood at the weekend and make sure it's a 13...It would be a spare if it suits, if that might be ok? Might be someone that wants to use it right now...
    If you need one it's yours.
    I've never had a cocktail so I don't know.
    19" or 13"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Need a degaussing wand.
    My donkey kong has gone completely wacky out of the blue(lots of blue and purple and green!).

Anyone got one for sale ?quick search and all i see is the green stick of death .

Funny timing. I've been fluting around with a Nintendo cabinet the last while. I know it had issues on the monitor before but I should be firing it all up tonight to see what shape it's in, may very well need degaussing too

Been at this with my brothers for hours now. Finally got to a point where all connections were gone over, pcb stripped and cleaned etc etc.

Game has some letters missing. No big deal for now. Plays fine otherwise.

The guts of time was spent trying to adjust the monitor. Just drives you up the wall. Can't get any red colour, or else the entire screen is bled with red colour. Every combination of adjustment under the sun. Also, whether related or not, the sprites are throwing shadows when red is turned up.

So, brilliant :/

Does this look like a degaussing problem?

IMG-20200813-220230-9.jpg

IMG-20200813-235731-3.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Looks like it, but i had an issue with a cab before that looked like that and it just didnt like facing the direction i had it! i moved it to the other side of the room and faced it the opposite direction and it was fine. not saying it will work here but worth checking to see if it changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭BGOllie

Gradius wrote: »
    Can't get any red colour, or else the entire screen is bled with red colour. Every combination of adjustment under the sun.

Likely to be an issue with the red color amplification circuit on the monitor neck board. Looks like it's either not letting any red through or all of it. check and test the red transistors on the neck board , could also be some blown caps in that circuit (doesn't let anything in or shorts altogether)

BGOllie wrote: »
    Likely to be an issue with the red color amplification circuit on the monitor neck board. Looks like it's either not letting any red through or all of it. check and test the red transistors on the neck board , could also be some blown caps in that circuit (doesn't let anything in or shorts altogether)

This for sure.
    Swop the Red transistor to the blue or green and see does the problem move!

I appreciate the advice, thanks!

I have to admit I feel completely out of my depth with monitors, much sweating involved

airplane-sweat-1.jpg

And I know if I break it the odds of finding it's replacement are near zero.

I came across some dude in Switzerland who seems to know the game inside out. I'll probably contact him in relation to the pcb.

http://www.ostermayer.ch/

I might replace the power supply to be on the safe side too. But the monitor? I think I'm going to need someone else to look at it, and that's no easy thing with the size and weight :/

• Registered Users Posts: 34,406 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Just disconnect the monitor chassis and pop it off in the post to Grantspain in the UK. Easy enough and he should be able to sort it out for you for not too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭BGOllie

I watched all them before.
    savage :D

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Thanks for posting that. you don't have lesson 1 and 3? Great video and unlisted for some reason.

Oh very good! Nice explanations in there :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

+1 for Grant aka Gunblade in UK if like me you lack the patience and skill and bravery.

Advertisement