Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Does county of car registration matter to you?

1235»

Comments

Stopped in 2015 or something didn’t it? I did a car in 2014 and got a big number.

That changed around 2012. Now they just get the next available number in the sequence. Having said that I’d say every second car in Roscommon is an import
    I was waiting in a car park reading this thread and saw several xx-RN-6xxx plates close by.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

dolanbaker wrote: »
    I was waiting in a car park reading this thread and saw several xx-RN-6xxx plates close by.

Ya every second car in Roscommon is an import. The sequence used to start 6xxx. Practically every BMW, Merc, Audi that's about 10 years old has a 6xxx reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Pkiernan wrote: »
    I've found that my country brethren yield right of way to my D reg vehicle.

Kind of like the way they used to doff the cap to the English Lords back in the 1800s.

Im from Donegal, we dont yield for anyone or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

Im from Donegal, we dont yield for anyone or anything.

Explains the higher rate of fatal car accidents on Donegal. May of them involving a single car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

When trading in newish hot-hatch for a car I was asked by every (Dublin and non Dublin) dealership was it a D reg. Eventually got the new car and the sales guy told me that D reg are more popular and sell quicker (and sometimes for a little more money) than non D reg cars purely for resale reasons. He also said there's a perception that Dublin drivers are better drivers and look after their cars better!! :eek: This was a non-Dub dealership.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    When trading in newish hot-hatch for a car I was asked by every (Dublin and non Dublin) dealership was it a D reg. Eventually got the new car and the sales guy told me that D reg are more popular and sell quicker (and sometimes for a little more money) than non D reg cars purely for resale reasons. He also said there's a perception that Dublin drivers are better drivers and look after their cars better!! :eek: This was a non-Dub dealership.
    Probably more to do with the fact that there are a lot of secondhand D plated cars on the market at the moment, they'll tell you anything anything to shift them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,837 ✭✭✭pgj2015

John_Rambo wrote: »

I always thought the D reg cars were sought after was because they are driven on good roads, not pot holed roads you would get in the country.

Perhaps people in Dublin think other counties have no roads and all non D cars spent their life in fields.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I always thought the D reg cars were sought after was because they are driven on good roads, not pot holed roads you would get in the country.

Yeah, could be a legacy issue, certainly not an issue now, I've driven all over the country and major rural roads are excellent now. Things start to rattle in my camper van in towns and cities, not on the country roads.

I think a lot of people (from wherever) buying high end cars want a D reg in the (likely) case that it could be sold to someone in the county of Dublin giving that almost 30% of the population live in it! Nothing to do with snobbery, just a practical decision that has sort of snowballed.
    dolanbaker wrote: »
    Probably more to do with the fact that there are a lot of secondhand D plated cars on the market at the moment, they'll tell you anything anything to shift them.

This was circa 2009.

• Advertisement

Explains the higher rate of fatal car accidents on Donegal. May of them involving a single car.

7000 kilometres of road , most of them secondary, 100 heroin deaths in Dublin for every Donegal road death yet we make the headlines?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

I'd honestly avoid a Limerick, Longford, Cavan, Louth and Donegal plated car.

I think most people would too if given the choice

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Would like to see what percentage of Corkonians would buy anything other than a C reg car.
    Infinitesimal I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

7000 kilometres of road , most of them secondary, 100 heroin deaths in Dublin for every Donegal road death yet we make the headlines?

And Cork has worse roads statistics than Donegal, but somehow doesn't have the same reputation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

Agricola wrote: »
    Would like to see what percentage of Corkonians would buy anything other than a C reg car.
    Infinitesimal I'd say.
    Tis fairly pathetic really. Whenever people say "Ireland is like the third world", stuff like this being something which actually bothers people really drives home how wrong they are.

Seems to me that the best solution would be to remove the county from the registration index altogether and replace it with a national sequence of letters & numbers similar to the old system (or current NI one) then have a county badge on the plate opposite side of the plate to the EU/IRL badge. (similar to the newer French number plates)
    In this image RN would replace the 25 on the right, with the county crest above it.

xcReul.jpg

Then the plate can be changed to the new badge if the owner chooses while keeping the same number.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,246 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Perhaps people in Dublin think other counties have no roads and all non D cars spent their life in fields.

In fairness most of the secondary roads are sh1te with bumps that cause wear and tear driving on them everyday and thats not even mentioning the potholes we have to deal with in winter time.

McGaggs wrote: »
    And Cork has worse roads statistics than Donegal, but somehow doesn't have the same reputation.

Ours are usually speed related, Cork'seems to be people driving out in front of larger vehicles, I think why we get more attention is that while other counties have an even age spread the Donegal deaths are usually young with everything to live for
    , Handsome photos make better headlines for the gutter press

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Ours are usually speed related, Cork'seems to be people driving out in front of larger vehicles, I think why we get more attention is that while other counties have an even age spread the Donegal deaths are usually young with everything to live for
    , Handsome photos make better headlines for the gutter press

There seems to be more of a car culture in Donegal, but more crossroads in Cork with tyres tracks of donuts and a drink driving culture.

Middle class, rural young deaths will always attract more media coverage than inner city poverty drug related deaths. The people the read the news relate more to their kids dying in a car crash than overdosing in a derelict house.

And to be honest, majority of people don't care about heroin related deaths in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Whatever about potholes most of my driving is spent going over ramps .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The T reg needs to piss off. Should have been TY.
    TN / TS

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

iamstop wrote: »
    I used to do a regular radio show at a pirate radio station in town just off the quays there. Drove in in my WX plated Seat Cordoba. It was in rough shape but did the job. Anyway, the lock on the driver's side was acting up to the point where I was afraid to lock it for fear it wouldn't open again.
    I finished my show and put my records back in the car. I still had to go to the quays to drop the studio keys back to the desk. I decided I'd put the records in the boot, out of sight and close but not lock the driver door.
    Reminds me of the time I left the car locked with some R&B records visible on the back seat.

A few minutes later I realised what I'd done and rushed back.

But I was too late, window was broken and there were three more records dumped there :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

They should definitely remove the county from the registration. That'd stop local wa*nkers trashing your car cos they don't like where you're from.

They should definitely remove the county from the registration. That'd stop local wa*nkers trashing your car cos they don't like where you're from.

Where'd this happen?

Where'd this happen?

Belfast on July 12 probably

Belfast on July 12 probably

Doubtful, Southern brethren would ve up to march, cars wouldn't be touched

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Where'd this happen?

Dublin. N Lotts Lane to be exact.

Advertisement