Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleep Apnoea and CPAP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

I have noticed in recent nights that very little water has gone out of my water box during the night. Up to a few weeks ago, the water box was usually empty when I woke up. The indicators on the machine do not indicate that anything is amiss.

Does anyone know what might be the cause of this?

Is the humidifier working ok? Mine does this if I turn it down accidentally
    Daisy78 wrote: »
    So my machine arrived, second night of using it. I know it’s early days yet but how long did it take for people to adjust to it and start to feel better? My sleep apnea is mild going by my test results but my symptoms don’t feel mild. I don’t feel particularly rested or less foggy after two days of use but I presume it will take time to feel the benefit of the machine?

2/3 weeks but it will be worth it! What machine have you? I had a regular CPAP with a nasel mask and struggled for a few months with it, took things in my own hands and got a full face mask with APAP machine and haven't looked back in almost 8 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I am a CPAP user with sleep apnoea and a BMI of about 35. However, I do not have heart disease or diabetes.

I was a bit worried when I heard a public health expert mention sleep Apnoea and obesity in an item about Coronavirus this evening.

Does anyone know if sleep Apnoea and obesity, in and of themselves, count as "underlying conditions" for Covid 19 purposes?

Has anybody heard anything more concrete on sleep apnea with regards to whether or not it’s a danger as an underlying condition when paired with COVID?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭ Elliot Ambitious Muck

This a a pre-print awaiting peer review

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.05.14.20098319v1

The research indicates sleep apnea is a risk factor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Daisy78

tnegun wrote: »
    Is the humidifier working ok? Mine does this if I turn it down accidentally

2/3 weeks but it will be worth it! What machine have you? I had a regular CPAP with a nasel mask and struggled for a few months with it, took things in my own hands and got a full face mask with APAP machine and haven't looked back in almost 8 years.

I’ve got an AirSense 10. Pulled off the mask last night, got to sleep with it on but woke up and felt air wasn’t getting in. Think the mask isn’t big enough for my nose! Anyway will keep going with, I’ve made a commitment to myself that from now on I’m not going to take it off at all, even if that means I only get a couple of hours sleep for the next couple of nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Daisy78 wrote: »
    So my machine arrived, second night of using it. I know it’s early days yet but how long did it take for people to adjust to it and start to feel better? My sleep apnea is mild going by my test results but my symptoms don’t feel mild. I don’t feel particularly rested or less foggy after two days of use but I presume it will take time to feel the benefit of the machine?

I agree with tnegun that 2-3 weeks of fairly solid usage should be enough to get used to it. The main issues I found in the early days were getting the straps right so that there wasn't any leakage, as I found the occasional leaks around my eyes quite distressing and impossible to ignore. Once I finally found the sweet spot it was much easier from then on.

I didn't notice for ages that it was having a positive effect, it's one of those cumulative things where you suddenly realise that you've actually been feeling better for a while already! For me, about 5-6 weeks in I didn't use it for a night, and I woke up feeling crap, sitting on the side of the bed trying to wake myself up, and suddenly thought "this is how I used to feel every day"! I hadn't noticed that feeling slowly going away, but I sure noticed it when it suddenly came back!

• Advertisement

Does anyone suffer from neck and shoulder pain with sleep apnea, particularly bad in the morning?

nibtrix wrote: »
    I didn't notice for ages that it was having a positive effect, it's one of those cumulative things where you suddenly realise that you've actually been feeling better for a while already! For me, about 5-6 weeks in I didn't use it for a night, and I woke up feeling crap, sitting on the side of the bed trying to wake myself up, and suddenly thought "this is how I used to feel every day"! I hadn't noticed that feeling slowly going away, but I sure noticed it when it suddenly came back!

Thanks, gives me some hope! Felt dreadful this morning even after using it the whole night, perhaps I was expecting a major change more immediately. Guess il just have to stick it out for another couple of weeks before I start to see any difference.

Have you access to the machines reports? You need to make sure you've no major leaks and if possible see what your AHI is.

tnegun wrote: »
    Have you access to the machines reports? You need to make sure you've no major leaks and if possible see what your AHI is.

No leaks and AHI (think that’s what it is called?) is really good, down at about 1.1. Would have thought I’d be feeling better given the score.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭FaganJr

Daisy78 wrote:
    No leaks and AHI (think that’s what it is called?) is really good, down at about 1.1. Would have thought I’d be feeling better given the score.

Takes time, will take more than a couple of weeks.
    I've never had below a 3.0, and I'm buzzing after that.

• Advertisement

That looks really good I average 2 but suffer from leaks as I roll onto my face all the time pushing the mask off! Give it some more time I noticed initially then thought it wasn't working and went without it a couple of nights and that was awful! I find if I miss a night I wake up like Ive been out drinking and had one or two too many!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭Field east

I have noticed in recent nights that very little water has gone out of my water box during the night. Up to a few weeks ago, the water box was usually empty when I woke up. The indicators on the machine do not indicate that anything is amiss.

Does anyone know what might be the cause of this?

Maybe ‘element ‘gone in heater mechanism

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Davexirl

I am going in to Vincents this evening for my sleep study.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Davexirl wrote: »

Good luck!

The best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭FaganJr

Davexirl wrote:

Happy Zzzz's coming

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

My CPAP rental company addressed my issue about the water filter.

Apparently my airpipe was not being "recognised" by the machine, and so they posted me a new air pipe.

There has now been an improvement. Thanks to all for your replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Real Psycrow

Hi folks,

Just wondering does anyone have any experience with backup batteries for your CPAP machines. We had no power here the night of the storm last week and I couldn't sleep without the machine. If the power had stayed down for any longer, as it did in a number of places, I'd have been goosed. I'm looking into batteries, but I want a portable one and want to make sure it's compatible with my machine.

Does anyone out there have one?

Hi folks,

Just wondering does anyone have any experience with backup batteries for your CPAP machines. We had no power here the night of the storm last week and I couldn't sleep without the machine. If the power had stayed down for any longer, as it did in a number of places, I'd have been goosed. I'm looking into batteries, but I want a portable one and want to make sure it's compatible with my machine.

Does anyone out there have one?

Hi

Sorry to hear about that. I've not heard about a battery sorry.

You probably know about requesting for vulnerable customers but just in case you don't. I know it won't prevent a fault but it might help with restoring timeframes.

All companies have it I believe but here's a link to EL
    https://www.electricireland.ie/residential/helpful-links/customers-with-special-needs

Hi

Sorry to hear about that. I've not heard about a battery sorry.

You probably know about requesting for vulnerable customers but just in case you don't. I know it won't prevent a fault but it might help with restoring timeframes.

All companies have it I believe but here's a link to EL
    https://www.electricireland.ie/residential/helpful-links/customers-with-special-needs

Thanks for that. I didn't realise this was a thing.

I'd feel a bit disingenuous registering to be honest, especially considering some of the examples listed. But I'll keep it in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It does not make a lot of difference really, being a vulnerable customer - my husband was dependent on an oxygen concentrator but the only difference was that we got written notice of planned power cuts, the cuts still happened. We have had three power cuts in 2 weeks now, so I am considering it - and/or a generator.

Thanks for that. I didn't realise this was a thing.

I'd feel a bit disingenuous registering to be honest, especially considering some of the examples listed. But I'll keep it in mind.

I did think the same but it’s mentioned on the sleep disorders Ireland website, it’s probably more from a financial point of view but I thought maybe if more vulnerable customers were registered in an area it might prioritise coming back after power out.

https://www.sdsf.ie/what-you-need-to-know-about-financing-your-treatment/

looksee wrote: »
    It does not make a lot of difference really, being a vulnerable customer - my husband was dependent on an oxygen concentrator but the only difference was that we got written notice of planned power cuts, the cuts still happened. We have had three power cuts in 2 weeks now, so I am considering it - and/or a generator.

I’m sorry to hear that, we’ve had more power outs in the last few weeks than the whole last year too. The weather has been erratic.

You’re right I’d say I went back to find where I found out about it and it’s listed under the financing your treatment so it’s probably so you’re not cut off because you can’t afford it.

To be honest, part of me wants the battery pack for travelling too. I went to Belgium in Feb with a friend and the CPAP wouldn't work the first night in the hotel we were staying in. It kept rebooting. It wasn't a problem with the machine as we travelled around for nights 2 and 3 and there was no problem in those hotels. It was the power in that first hotel that caused the issue. Thankfully I got it working in the end, but if I hadn't, I'd have been wrecked for the whole trip. Now I know if I had the battery pack while travelling, I wouldn't have to worry about anything like that.

I got my sleep analysis results today, I have significant sleep apnoea and I will be going in to Vincents again overnight for a CPAP trial. I am delighted that I finally know what the problem is and I can begin to treat it.

I got my sleep analysis results today, I have significant sleep apnoea and I will be going in to Vincents again overnight for a CPAP trial. I am delighted that I finally know what the problem is and I can begin to treat it.

I am happy for you that you got a diagnosis. Living in pain without a diagnosis is very frustrating.

I hope that you settle with the CPAP. It's not the worst. Make sure you try all the mask, nasal pillows, just nose and full covering.

In my experience a second mask is a must because sometimes you mightn't tolerate your mask.

Can I ask do you live with neck pain?

The best of luck with the trial.

I am happy for you that you got a diagnosis. Living in pain without a diagnosis is very frustrating.

I hope that you settle with the CPAP. It's not the worst. Make sure you try all the mask, nasal pillows, just nose and full covering.

In my experience a second mask is a must because sometimes you mightn't tolerate your mask.

Can I ask do you live with neck pain?

The best of luck with the trial.

Thanks very much for the tips and advice. I can start doing more research, now that I know.

No, I do not have any neck pain.

Thanks very much for the tips and advice. I can start doing more research, now that I know.

No, I do not have any neck pain.

Thanks for replying. I don't know a lot about it but if there's anything I can help you with that I do know I will help.

Thanks for replying. I don't know a lot about it but if there's anything I can help you with that I do know I will help.

Cheers for that, I don't know when I'll be going in for the trial yet, delays due to Covid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Hi all.

Have been using resmed airsense 10 since last Feb. Getting on quite well with it. I find I get on better without the humidifier. The only thing about it is I find the full face mask causes me some discomfort around the bridge of the nose and its not very comfortable sleeping on my side.

I'm considering getting the Nasal Pillows mask. The only thing is I'm a bit of a mouth breather. I've been trying to train myself to breathe exclusivity through the nose.

Does anyone else use a nasal pillows mask?

Advertisement