Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

marcos_94 wrote: »
    Not really no. There some insurers arent interested but there still plenty of others that will quote. Im in the process of buying a 2003 and have gotten what I consider to be reasonable quotes on it with Aviva

Cheers, I'm not imagining that there was a few years were getting a quote a car older than 10 years was like finding hen's teeth

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Is there still issues trying to insure cars as old as 10 years?

10 years old having difficulty insuring?

I'm driving a 22 year old car and was about to say I don't have difficulty finding insurance but there is only 2 or 3 insurers that will take me on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,206 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Dont think it was ever difficult to get insurance for over 10 yrs old, 16+ maybe, i drive a 1998 and a 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

10 years old having difficulty insuring?

I'm driving a 22 year old car and was about to say I don't have difficulty finding insurance but there is only 2 or 3 insurers that will take me on.

Are you still driving the Toyota Levin? Or am I thinking of somebody else??

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Craftylee wrote: »

Funny how 25plus quotes 512 and its4women (same company) quotes 465. Interesting way to try and give cheaper quotes to women imo, I'd say most men wouldn't realize or want there insurance with a company called its4women and they're taking advantage of that

When they first came on the scene I did a quote for my wife and then changed the sex, got a bigger premium.
    Regulator said its not their issue and to get onto the UK regulator 😒
    Doesn't change now though....

Back on topic though

Same as yourself I went with the renewal 430 with 123.

Rest were 600+ that I tried.

45 yo, no accidents, comp, driving forever on an Irish licence, no points and a 16 year old car

• Advertisement

job seeker wrote: »
    Are you still driving the Toyota Levin? Or am I thinking of somebody else??

Yep still have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭raxy

After seeing a lot of cheap quotes people are getting from AIG I tried with them, almost 3 times more expensive than my cheapest quote so far, early days yet

40 male driving a 181 megane 1.5D automatic. Full NCB & no penalty points
    Renewel from 123 was €630
    Chill €627
    Alianz €500
    AIG €1422 - Really I'd love to know where they come up with these quotes. I actually went back through the quote thinking I must have made a mistake entering something.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Sex: Male
    Car: 2010 Renault Megane
    NCD: 9+
    Claims: zero

Last year price, 630 with 123.ie, renewal just in the door at 573. Used to cover 50,000km per year, that dropped to 15,000km two years ago I now do 20km a week!. Will be working from home till at least next year. I wonder if I give them a call is there any savings to be had?

Tried liberty @750, AA @ 1300!! No idea what those idiot's picked out!. Chill did come in at 580 on the initial price (might see what is the best price they can get me)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭mamaz

123.ie quoted me 3500+
    AIB quoted me 1630 fully comp (TPFT was 1660 for some reason?)
    Allianz coming in cheapest with 1097.08

Gonna check out a local broker but so far its a saving of 300+

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Yep still have it.

I was thinking! They are super cool and getting very rare nowadays.

• Advertisement

job seeker wrote: »
    I was thinking! They are super cool and getting very rare nowadays.

There is a few around well I see them on the Facebook page. Seen a few in person too but that is a rare occasion alright.

You haven't been around online for a while or maybe you were but just didn't post as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

marcos_94 wrote: »
    Not really no. There some insurers arent interested but there still plenty of others that will quote. Im in the process of buying a 2003 and have gotten what I consider to be reasonable quotes on it with Aviva
    Not really no but you aren't getting the full spread of the market and for those providers that do quote you they will invariably be quoting you a higher figure on the older car than the equivalent newer plate. It would be a bit of an issue in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

raxy wrote: »
    After seeing a lot of cheap quotes people are getting from AIG I tried with them, almost 3 times more expensive than my cheapest quote so far, early days yet
    They were also considerably more expensive for me at renewal time last February as I recall. Was assuming on the basis of the previous comments before your own that things had changed in the meantime and they were actually interested in getting market share.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Uilleam an Draoi

Your Age:31
    Car type and engine: 1.2 TSI VW Polo (2012)
    years driving:10+
    any claims: 1 in early 2018
    Price and provider:+/- 1200 Axa

Now, I'll explain a bit! In case there's someone in a similar situation - the car is/was Spanish so the steering wheel is on the other side... had my license exchanged to full Irish. All in all, not really hard to get an insurance but there's just 2-3 that will take this sort of cars as far as I'm aware. QuoteDevil was asking 1350 but with a local broker in Dùn Laoghaire I was able to get it a bit lower.

Fingers crossed it'll go down next year! - :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

NCB: 13 years protected
    License: Full UK, no points - swapped Irish license early 2019
    Car: 2007 Mazda 3 1.6 Petrol saloon
    Cover: Comprehensive
    Additionals: ~3k miles pa, named driver of 5 years exp.
    Old Insurer: Aviva
    Price for last year: £340
    Renewal: £380
    New Policy: £240 with Sheila's Wheels (not even joking) via GoCompare which gives £35 cashboack (TCB) and £250 excess refund in case of claim.

The previous 3k mile average will probably drop this year as the wife's new car is now the more salubrious place to be so I took the cheapest quote I could find. Windscreen cover and all that included so I'm a bit annoyed at having overpaid Aviva last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Just spotted this.
    €50 renewal fee!
    Christ that's a good one.
    Can't really complain though as they've given me a great price for fully comp. 2 years in a row.

Screenshot-20200808-200925.jpg

Screenshot-20200808-202040.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

blade1 wrote: »
    Just spotted this.
    €50 renewal fee!
    Christ that's a good one.
    Can't really complain though as they've given me a great price for fully comp. 2 years in a row.

That's pretty standard for a broker. They nearly always have renewal fees and I'd be surprised if it wasn't there the year before. Some brokers let their employees waive these fees but some don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Cows Go µ wrote: »
    That's pretty standard for a broker. They nearly always have renewal fees and I'd be surprised if it wasn't there the year before. Some brokers let their employees waive these fees but some don't.

I wouldn't know as it's my first time using the same company for two years together in over 20 years.
    I do know my bike insurance has a broker fee every year which they do waive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

To be fair I only care about the final price.

Some will give you high base and loads of discounts, some will offer great starting base and lots of additional charges.

What matters is how much I have to pay for a year. Calculation of the premium is for them only.

You can always try to purchase brand new policy from them instead of renewing anyway and see if there is any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

If a broker can find you a far better premium, including their fee, than anywhere else, have they not earned it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

If a broker can find you a far better premium, including their fee, than anywhere else, have they not earned it?

For sure. I always got direct quotes but a few years ago I tried a certain broker, v sound lads and I can rarely beat them, motor or house.

I even got a much better house quote than they could offer last year and he offered to review the cover to see was there any reason it was cheaper than them. He told me to take it.

Ye're not all bad Eggs ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Affluenza

Affluenza wrote: »
    24 M, 1 year driving, full license, 0 points and 1 year NCB

2010 1.4 Ford Fiesta
    First years insurance was €2,410 with Coverinaclick (AXA)

Renewal due at the start of September (all TPFT).
    Renewal from CIAC through AXA: €1,564
    123.ie: €4,764
    AA: €3,631
    Aviva: €1,906
    Quote Devil: €3,175
    Chill.ie: €1,998
    Zurich: €2,960
    Aviva: No quote
    Quoteme: €2,264
    Anpost: €1,879

Tried all of the other large places (BOI, blue, axa, kennco etc.), nobody offered under €1,700.

I went with Liberty, quote came out to €1,290 but got it down to €1,200. This was after adding a parent as a named driver. Quite happy with that :)

Good luck all those novices out there looking for insurance :) It's not fun ringing around and waiting only for the insurer to tell you it's gonna be €5k but it pays to shop around.

Well there goes another wasted afternoon. Prices this year seem even crazier compared to 2019. I ended up only getting about 10 or so quotes.

Renewal from Liberty Insurance was €994 and with an extra 5% discount code, it brought it down to €944. Nobody could even come close. This is for TPFT and without windscreen cover (an extra €30 for it :o ).

All quotes below are TPFT (2 Years Driving, 2 Years NCB with the same car)

123.ie - €2,145
    25plus.ie - €4,891
    AA Ireland - €2,247
    Allianz - €1,744
    Aviva - €2,298
    Axa - €1,948
    Blue Insurance - €2,220
    BOI Insurance - €3,398
    Chill.ie - €1,156
    Coverinaclick - €1,225
    FBD - €1,799

Wouldn't quote for whatever reason: AIG, Acorn, Anpost Insurance, Quoteme, Zurich and Kennco Insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 sderref

Second driver: 30F-novice
    NCB: 15 years (7 used here)
    License: Full Irish- changed in 2018, no penalty points
    Car: 2005 Suzuki Ignis 1.3
    Old Insurer: Aviva, last year €458
    Renewal offer: €493
    New policy Aviva online quote-comprehensive: €383.06....took it on the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭skibum

Your Age: 54
    Car type and engine: 2002 Opel Astra 1.4
    years driving: 35
    any claims: none
    no penalty points
    Price and provider: Allianz, It was €472 last year, €504 Renewal, fully comp with bonus protection etc Got it down to €462....

Rang around, most wouldn't quote due to age of car......

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

NCB: 12 years
    License: Full Irish 7 years
    Car: 2013 bmw 320d m sport
    Insurer: Liberity
    Renewal offer: €750.00
    did a new policy online with them to see could I get it any cheaper and got it with the exact same details as if i was a new customer for €485 fully comp rang them and they had to match it.

Find it hard to insure the car as alot wont cover me on it until i was 30 so Liberty were the only ones last year when I got it. Some companies wouldnt quote me on it even.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

NCB: 9 years
    License: Full Irish 9 years
    Car: 2011 Subaru Legacy Estate 2.0TD
    Insurer: Liberity
    Current Premium: €860(AXA through broker)
    Renewal offer: €2160.00

Got a quote from Chill.ie with Invernia with more extras than my current policy for
    €602

• Registered Users Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

NCB: 10+ years (actually, 33 years - never had a car claim ever)
    License: Full Irish 32 years
    Car: 2006 Clio 1.2 Monaco
    Insurer: Chill.ie
    Offer: € 2500 :eek::eek:

I just checked the NCT on my car, to see how many miles I did in 12 months: 2,400 miles.

Somebody is pulling the Pi$$ at the pricing above.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

galwaytt wrote: »
    NCB: 10+ years (actually, 33 years - never had a car claim ever)
    License: Full Irish 32 years
    Car: 2006 Clio 1.2 Monaco
    Insurer: Chill.ie
    Offer: € 2500 :eek::eek:

I just checked the NCT on my car, to see how many miles I did in 12 months: 2,400 miles.

Somebody is pulling the Pi$$ at the pricing above.

The insurer is obviously saying "go away, we don't want your profile at any price".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

The insurer is obviously saying "go away, we don't want your profile at any price".

Sounds like it, but it is still a slap in the face of galwaytt and other drivers who are expected to be perfect customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Weird but surely Galwaytt's profile is the ideal profile for a car insurance company, mature, solid conservative driver.... steady hands....
    No history of accidents or dangerous driving
    Why would they be looking for a different profile of person doesnt make sense to me:confused: If all their customers were like fenix they would be laughing would they not. I had assumed as the age profile increased insurance companies would be actively looking for the 40 plus "mature" market. I dont have any statistics but I would be very surprised if 40 plus people were more of an insurance risk then 18-39 years

Are their Insurance companies who prefer 18-29 year old drivers and actively give them competitive quotes?:eek:

Advertisement