Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Another Great Gone

• 25-07-2020 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭

Founding member of Fleetwood Mac and amazing blues guitarist Peter Green has passed away at 73.

https://youtu.be/eq4ehZDuECg Rattlesnake Shake

https://youtu.be/Z-C6p-GwHfA
    Oh Well

Hope the links work I've never put them up before

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭Rigsby

One of the greats. R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,758 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Rip

Only got into the later fleetwood macs (stevie and lindsey) but very impressed with Greens version

Pity they never got back together

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Rip

Only got into the later fleetwood macs (stevie and lindsey) but very impressed with Greens version

Pity they never got back together

green era is far superior, reunion was never gonna happen, was lucky to catch him in garter lane few years ago, and in the Olympia. rip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    green era is far superior, reunion was never gonna happen, was lucky to catch him in garter lane few years ago, and in the Olympia. rip

Yeah have to agree, just unlucky with that acid in Berlin wasn't it? Doomed him in the end. But yeah reunion would never have happened, aww lucky would have loved to have caught him just never had the chance

rapul wrote: »
    Yeah have to agree, just unlucky with that acid in Berlin wasn't it? Doomed him in the end. But yeah reunion would never have happened, aww lucky would have loved to have caught him just never had the chance

was it just a single experience of acid? think my aunt worked in the hospital he was treated in. my father got to work for him at a gig, got to meet him to, was like a child

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,758 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Jesus garter Lane in Waterford ?

John Prine played in the Theatre Royal a while back too

Waterford must be cursed ha

What a spine-tingling tone, what a sublime guitar player. RIP Peter

was it just a single experience of acid? think my aunt worked in the hospital he was treated in. my father got to work for him at a gig, got to meet him to, was like a child

He had done alot but it was on the tour in Germany he got some bad acid in Berlin and just went downhill from there. Oh wow that's awesome about your family

PTH2009 wrote:
    Jesus garter Lane in Waterford ?

Yup
    rapul wrote:
    He had done alot but it was on the tour in Germany he got some bad acid in Berlin and just went downhill from there. Oh wow that's awesome about your family

Don't think my aunt treated him though. funny story, road manager warned my father not to eat his sandwich! apparently was very particular about his food, think my father was holding his sandwich or something. Father was in his element, life long fan, garter lane is a very small venue, was amazed by him myself, his band at the time were also amazing, about 20 years ago now.

He did seem very frail though, think it was drug induced schizophrenia or something like that, sounded like his hospital years were dreadful. Drugs are bad folks

Haha that's great, your dad's very lucky as you said surely in his element and what a time to have met him aswell.

But yeah drugs are bad, definitely the end of him sadly. As was the style at the time I suppose, Syd Barrett same story sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

rapul wrote: »
    Haha that's great, your dad's very lucky as you said surely in his element and what a time to have met him aswell.

But yeah drugs are bad, definitely the end of him sadly. As was the style at the time I suppose, Syd Barrett same story sure

There are parallels alright between Peter Green and Syd Barrett in how LSD had a serious impact on their mental health.

Peter Green was a gifted blues guitarist and not a bad singer at that. Peter formed Fleetwood Mac with the rhythm section from John Mayall's Bluesbreakers (his previous band) in mind, namely Mick Fleetwood and John McVie, Mick joined straight away but not John. The original bassist for Fleetwood Mac was not John McVie but Bob Brunning! He basically was holding that position until John was ready!

Fleetwood Mac's only Number 1 in the UK was the Peter Green written instrumental Albatross in 1968. It was also two Peter Green compositions that gave Fleetwood Mac their only Number 2s in the UK: Man of the World and Oh, Well (Parts 1 and 2). Oh Well used to be the theme tune for Dave Fanning's show on 2FM (or Radio 2 as it was then).

Peter Green, essentially, represented the first chapter in the story of Fleetwood Mac.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Peter Green seem to me didn't mingle with other British artists.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,957 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Advertisement