Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VR Headset for Child?

• 08-07-2020 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

I am totally clueless about VR headsets so any guidance would be appreciated please.
    DS (12) is looking for a VR headset to play Roblox ... he mentioned Oculus Quest but I'm not sure I'm prepared to pay that much unless I bought second hand.
    Also, I'm not sure what VRs need PC to run them vs which ones run on their own and which ones could run Roblox and the like.
    Can anyone get me started please??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Only wrote: »
    I am totally clueless about VR headsets so any guidance would be appreciated please.
    DS (12) is looking for a VR headset to play Roblox ... he mentioned Oculus Quest but I'm not sure I'm prepared to pay that much unless I bought second hand.
    Also, I'm not sure what VRs need PC to run them vs which ones run on their own and which ones could run Roblox and the like.

Quest is in big demand so if you did find one second hand it would likely cost more than retail. Quest is also the heaviest headset (I believe) because all the processing is done in the headset itself. But Quest is also the only one that doesn't need a PC or console to hook up to.

Basically the choices are

Oculus Quest - wireless, no PC required
    Oculus Rift S - needs PC
    PSVR - needs PS4
    HTC Vive Pro/Cosmos - needs PC
    Valve Index - needs PC
    (I'm sure there are more, these are the most popular ones I think).

You can also hook the Quest up to a PC using a cable to play Steam games but this requires a decent graphics card in the PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Only

Quest is in big demand so if you did find one second hand it would likely cost more than retail. Quest is also the heaviest headset (I believe) because all the processing is done in the headset itself. But Quest is also the only one that doesn't need a PC or console to hook up to.

Basically the choices are

Oculus Quest - wireless, no PC required
    Oculus Rift S - needs PC
    PSVR - needs PS4
    HTC Vive Pro/Cosmos - needs PC
    Valve Index - needs PC
    (I'm sure there are more, these are the most popular ones I think).

You can also hook the Quest up to a PC using a cable to play Steam games but this requires a decent graphics card in the PC.

Thank you VERY much!! At least now I have a clue how it works ... I will check DSs laptop and come back to see if it would be good enough to run the VRs .. It was only bought at Christmas and was bought for some gaming so hopefully it will be adequate.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

It is highly unlikely a laptop will be sufficient to run any of the headsets. Aside from that, is Roblox even playable in VR? I know nothing about it but a quick internet search wouldn't fill me with confidence that it can.

It is highly unlikely a laptop will be sufficient to run any of the headsets. Aside from that, is Roblox even playable in VR? I know nothing about it but a quick internet search wouldn't fill me with confidence that it can.

Honestly I don't know - I'm just listening to what DS is telling me but he doesn't know much about them either and maybe hes just assuming ... I'm totally out of my depth with all of this :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

It can be played in VR. What the support is like I couldn't comment.

https://en.help.roblox.com/hc/en-us/articles/208260046-Roblox-VR

In fairness I love VR but other than for simulation games I'm always torn between playing them in VR vs not. Skyrim is a good example. It could be a rather expensive novelty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

some of the games support VR properly ( or at least semi properly) Theres one my son plays called VR hands ( I think) VR users are giants , regular players run around , Vr guys cam pick them up and yhrow them around ...it pretty simple but fun .. VR support in most Roblox games tbough is very very basic .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

I can run VR on my laptop. However I specifically bought a laptop that was VR capable. I doubt a run of the mill one would be able to.

Thanks guys, DS has a gaming laptop but not a top of the range one... ill look and see what the model is to see and post back.
    I dont want to go spending a fortunr on VR for it to be.left in a corner if its not what he expected iykwim

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Thanks guys, DS has a gaming laptop but not a top of the range one... ill look and see what the model is to see and post back.
    I dont want to go spending a fortunr on VR for it to be.left in a corner if its not what he expected iykwim

VR is everything I expected and I love it but the headset spends 95% of it's time as a very expensive paperweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

Yeah if you don't have a dedicated space where it can always be left ready to go it will rarely come out after the first couple of months, in my experience. I'm thinking of selling mine now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,584 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Just something to be aware of, there are many concerns that VR *may* be bad for a child's eyes while they are developing.

Nothing proven yet as the technology is new ... plus my eyes are fine and still 20/20 even though I was glued to the TV in the 80s playing Nintendo

https://www.streamscheme.com/is-vr-safe-for-children/

but YMMV

OK, so his laptop is a HP 15-bs158sa .... any thoughts on it for VR ... probably not adequate??

OK, so his laptop is a HP 15-bs158sa .... any thoughts on it for VR ... probably not adequate??

There's no dedicated graphics card so it won't run any VR headsets. Oculus Quest is still an option though.

There's no dedicated graphics card so it won't run any VR headsets. Oculus Quest is still an option though.

Thank you!!!
    Yes hes edging towards the Quest ... probably the most straightforward option in this case ... Can I ask - is it possible to play any of the Oculus Rift games on the Quest or is that just with a PC? .. I've been trying to read up but am a bit confused.

Thank you!!!
    Yes hes edging towards the Quest ... probably the most straightforward option in this case ... Can I ask - is it possible to play any of the Oculus Rift games on the Quest or is that just with a PC? .. I've been trying to read up but am a bit confused.

You can play Rift games on the Quest with Oculus Link (cable) or Virtual Desktop app (wireless) but it won't work with that laptop - still needs a decent spec graphics card.

Minimum spec is here https://support.oculus.com/444256562873335/?locale=en_US

You can play Rift games on the Quest with Oculus Link (cable) or Virtual Desktop app (wireless) but it won't work with that laptop - still needs a decent spec graphics card.

Minimum spec is here https://support.oculus.com/444256562873335/?locale=en_US

Thanks a mill for the clarification!!!

Advertisement