Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 Post-Season Thread

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Possibly not the right thread but programme on RTE tonight at 7.30 about Baseball in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Dog Murphy

ShyMets wrote: »
    Possibly not the right thread but programme on RTE tonight at 7.30 about Baseball in Ireland

Don't think I'll watch it as honestly one of the great regrets of my life is not having a chance to play baseball and seeing this would just rub it in. I've gotten into the MLB postseason over the past 4 or 5 years and I'm really beginning to love the sport.

I think I would have loved to have played it even more as I'm not particularly big or strong or fast so it so it would have suited me down to the ground, looking at how great Jose Altuve is and yet how small he is shows you what a great sport Baseball is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,792 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Dog Murphy wrote: »
    Don't think I'll watch it as honestly one of the great regrets of my life is not having a chance to play baseball and seeing this would just rub it in. I've gotten into the MLB postseason over the past 4 or 5 years and I'm really beginning to love the sport.

I think I would have loved to have played it even more as I'm not particularly big or strong or fast so it so it would have suited me down to the ground, looking at how great Jose Altuve is and yet how small he is shows you what a great sport Baseball is.

it's why it once was the national pastime as any kid of pretty much any size could give it a go. Still true today, though getting to the big leagues is for the natural high-ability athletes.

It's not as popular as the NFL which imo is entirely due to television, NFL is made for TV. Baseball is delivered slowly, I think I've read it's like 10 minutes of animated action for an entire 3.5 hour game (on that order, maybe 20 minutes.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

tough three games in Washington. Bats just went cold and the Astros adjusted their hitting, didnt chase anything out of the zone, but of course they faced poorer pitching.

Going to come down to Strasbourg and Max. Happy enough with that. If you told me at the start of the season we'd play in the world series and the last two games could potentially be max and stras for the win I would have taken it.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

Every game so far has been won by the away team so the Nats arnt without hope.Hopefully the nats aces can dig in and the bats get going ,everyone wants a game 7.

• Advertisement

Every game so far has been won by the away team so the Nats arnt without hope.Hopefully the nats aces can dig in and the bats get going ,everyone wants a game 7.

Great game. And indeed, we're getting a game 7.

Shades of Wally Backman not being called out for outside the basepath in the 1986 series, with Trea Turner inside the basepath. From what the replays show, I think the umpires got it right (and it was confirmed remotely.) Takes a lot of nerve to make that call in such a situation.

Now we'll see what Scherzer can bring for Washington tonight. Had a cortisone shot the other day and claims to feel fine. Short leash is my guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

I think that call was wrong. Swing took him out of the box so of course wasn't going to have a direct line, like every batter doesn't, left foot hit the bag, right foot inside the line and the throw was behind him, he beat it out.

From what I can tell the call was not confirmed remotely as it is not a reviewable play, they were confirming that it could not be looked at. Joe Torre confirmed that on FOX.

If you are going to call that in Game 6 of the World Series call it all year.

Igotadose wrote: »
    Great game. And indeed, we're getting a game 7.

Shades of Wally Backman not being called out for outside the basepath in the 1986 series, with Trea Turner inside the basepath. From what the replays show, I think the umpires got it right (and it was confirmed remotely.) Takes a lot of nerve to make that call in such a situation.

Now we'll see what Scherzer can bring for Washington tonight. Had a cortisone shot the other day and claims to feel fine. Short leash is my guess.

Personally I dont think they got it right, he just has to move back to the outside of the bag which he did when reaching it was a bad throw and where he was didnt interfere. Regardless it didnt matter.

Complete home town decision however and am thoroughly glad it didn't have an impact in what has been a truly incredible World Series. Wont be right for a week after all these late nights, if we win wont be right for a month!

Wont be right for a week after all these late nights, if we win wont be right for a month!

If the team you cheer for wins it for the first time.... you're right forever. All the rest are gravy.

Igotadose wrote: »
    If the team you cheer for wins it for the first time.... you're right forever. All the rest are gravy.

I agree. A different sport, I know, but when Dublin won the All Ireland in 2011 (admittedly not their first, but the first I have a strong recollection of) I was on cloud 9 for weeks. The rest of the All Ireland wins have been great, but just didn't feel the same.

The first one is always the sweetest

• Advertisement

No doubt lads no doubt at all.

Missus is in Washington at the moment, was at the watch party in Nationals Park last night said it was incredible.

Hopefully we see vintage max tonight and Soto and Rendon launch bombs .Loved the emotion from Davey Martinez last night fighting for his team.Pulling for the nats as I think there a more likeable team than Houston and it's cool for any team to win there first championship

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Got up to watch this during the 5th, didn't really fancy being up all night. Definitely got up at the right time. Delighted for the Nationals, couldn't have dealt with the Astros winning it. Serious showing to win 4 road games, what a crazy series in general. Hope the narrative stays on this team and the Harper sh1te is left out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭circular flexing

The decision to remove Greinke is going to haunt AJ Hinch for a long time.

No doubt lads no doubt at all.

Missus is in Washington at the moment, was at the watch party in Nationals Park last night said it was incredible.

I imagine she's still awake, only 4 a.m. DC time. Congratulations!

• Congrats Nats fans.
    I've been wishing for ye to lose since the NLDS, and ye just kept on winning :D

What a roller coaster the WS was. Enjoy being Champs. I dont think anyone can argue that ye deserved it. Bryce whoper?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

So the Nats have rewritten the rules on how to get to World Series and then win it. Overcome a terrible start to the season, win 5 elimination games in post season and then win 4 times on road to the win the series itself. They done it the hard way so well done to them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Yeah, congrats to the Nats and to TRDA, hope you enjoy the celebrations. Amazing comeback from the middle of May.

Congrats to all Nats fans here. Enjoy the partying. Well deserved

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Now onto the real fun - when does the trade window open?

• Advertisement

Now onto the real fun - when does the trade window open?

I think it's 5 days after the WS ends.

Surely Rendon and Strasburg can't leave Washington now?

Congrats to nats fans,best team over the course of the season really.

oh jaysus , only just about coming around to being semi normal.

Un believable, absolutely unbelievable. Being a DC sports fan is tough at the best of times as Jack will attest to with the Redskins but these Nationals .. just unreal.

Unreal. Best feeling I've had following sports and that takes a lot, also appreciate all the good will lads, your a sound bunch!

I think it's 5 days after the WS ends.

Surely Rendon and Strasburg can't leave Washington now?

Will ya feck off!

Strasburg definitely wont , we'll pop about 200million in an envelope for him and we're going to pay Tony Two Bags about a half billion dollars so I don't think he is going anywhere either!

Also I hope to god we pay Howie for at least one more year. CLUTCH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

While not the biggest baseball fan as a resident here have followed their travails over the years amongst several trips to their superb stadium! But this was unexpected as last May it was universal that the manager must be sacked. The turnaround has been remarkable and very welcoming in this polarised town.

In March I got an invite to an exclusive Select-A-Seat Event which was excellent as basically one could roam throughout the stadium from the dugouts to the boxes. But still the feeling was this season was going to be a hard sell. Indeed the Nats did a follow up cocktails event in the clubhouse a few nights later where we go to do batting practice! But still attendances were down and this was reflected in June when the Post were selling $10 tickets to games. So we popped along to see the Phillies beaten and a certain ex player booed!

Watched the first two World Series games and was planning a trip to Navy Yard for the game winning fourth game on the saturday night! We went anyway and the atmosphere was flat so after watching sunday the consensus was pretty negative. So much so that when they went behind in game 6 we changed channels so waking up next day to find out there would be a game defining seventh was great!

Anyway for the second year running the parade was memorable. This time it felt different and a bigger event to the Caps. As I strolled down 15th Street I spotted a bus with a shiny trophy being hoisted before the parade started so got some pics. In fact players were happily signing anything that was thrown their way! People of all colours, creeds, race, age combined. Great to see.

District of Champions!

img-0817.jpg

img-0870.jpg

img-0881.jpg

Advertisement