Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Granite markers on Wicklow and Dublin mountains

• 08-08-2020 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hi.

Does anyone know what the small square granite markers are on various summits in the Wicklow and Dublin mountains?

These are separate from the OSI type larger stones. They are roughly 1 foot square, approx 3 foot tall and seem to have information inscribed on them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭radonicus

Enduro wrote: »

Hi.

Possibly so.

The one on Lobawn was similar in shape and size to the Japanese class 3.File:3rd_class_triangulation_point_in_Shiroyama_Park_in_Inagi.jpg

What appeared to be inscribed on it was W↑D No. x (the number was obscured). However the arrow was pointed east direction, towards Table Mountain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Trig points, WD stands for War Department.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

6 of them along the north ridge of Glen of Imaal.

3AWZrJLl.jpg

Don't think they're Trig points. They're below mountain tops. I think they were markers to indicate that, during the Troubles, they indicated the boundary of Imaal Glen to "advise" the Irish to keep out.
    Placed there by the English.

I have a few of them marked as "Waypoints"on GPS in case......

Planet X wrote: »
    6 of them along the north ridge of Glen of Imaal.

3AWZrJLl.jpg

Don't think they're Trig points. They're below mountain tops. I think they were markers to indicate that, during the Troubles, they indicated the boundary of Imaal Glen to "advise" the Irish to keep out.
    Placed there by the English.

I have a few of them marked as "Waypoints"on GPS in case......

One on Seefingan too but I didn't see an inscription.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,412 ✭✭✭✭Alun

They're War Department markers. The arrow is just a symbol, it's not pointing anywhere. The same arrows are commonly used to mark British government property of all sorts but mainly military. The stone markers can be found marking the boundary of the Glen of Imaal artillery range and also the Kilbride rifle range, hence the ones around Seefingan.

Some of the them are marked on the East West maps with the letters WD, by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

radonicus wrote: »
    One on Seefingan too but I didn't see an inscription.

There is a good few between seefingan, seahan and corrig... I think they mark the boundaries of the range?

mloc123 wrote: »
    There is a good few between seefingan, seahan and corrig... I think they mark the boundaries of the range?

Appears so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Are the vertices of the Crows Foots not marking an accurately surveyed position? Theres a few on buildings in Arklow
    They show up on the 25" maps

• Registered Users Posts: 21,412 ✭✭✭✭Alun

• Advertisement
Advertisement