The 2020 hurricane season officially starts on June 1st and runs until November 30th. This year NOAA is forecasting it to be an active season, with a 60% chance of above average, 30% of near average and 10% chance of below average. Their forecast confidence is 70%.
In numbers, they forecast 13-19 named storms (climate average is 12), of which 6-10 become hurricanes (climatic average 6), 3-6 of theses major (Cat 3 or higher) (climatic average 3).
Factors affective hurricane activity include nuetral ENSO or a possible La Niña, which in general reduces windshear, warm tropical Atlantic waters and an active African monsoon, which should supply plenty of easterly waves that could develop into tropical systems.
We already had two weak and short-lived tropical storms in the latter part of May (Arthur and Bertha) and there is currently an area of interest in the mid-Atlantic, however this is not forecast to develop into a tropical storm.
List of 2020 Atlantic names:
Arthur | Bertha | Cristobal | Dolly | Edouard | Fay | Gonzalo | Hanna | Isaias | Josephine | Kyle | Laura | Marco | Nana | Omar | Paulette | Rene | Sally | Teddy | Vicky | Wilfred.
Latest SST anomaly