Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ok Adra might find this funny...

• 29-07-1999 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

So what did adra do with Creams millions???

Internet Love American Style
    Reuters

3:50 p.m. 28.Jul.99.PDT
    A British man who quit his job and crossed the Atlantic to marry an American he met in an Internet chat room was paid US$1,400 Wednesday by the woman, who pleaded guilty to stealing his life savings.
    Debbie Horton pleaded guilty Monday to taking the money from Ian Fowler, a computer technician from London who sold all his possessions and came to Georgia intending to marry her.

Fowler said the cyberspace love affair began nine months ago and ended when Horton asked him to leave the mobile home the two had shared for a week.

"I gave up my job in England to come here and be with her," Fowler told Reuters. "I could only assume she had in mind to rip me off."

Horton's attorney, however, told a different story.

"My understanding is they met in a chat room and made plans about him coming," lawyer Stephanie Sweet said. "Then she asked him not to come, but he came anyway. She is the victim."

Fowler said he courted Horton for several months through the Internet before asking her, sight unseen, to marry him. He said when he arrived in Dublin, Georgia, 150 miles south of Atlanta, in May and found an "attractive blonde."

What he did not know was that she was already married. He said he had $1,400 in cash when he arrived, and the woman offered to put his money in her bank account for safe keeping.

Not so, said Sweet, who called the case a "he-said, she-said situation."

"I don't believe the DA [prosecutor] had any proof that she took the money," Sweet said. "She had no bank account."

Fowler said he is puzzled at how the woman managed to live with him when she was married to someone else.

"She must have told her husband she was working at night, and told me she was working during the day," he said.

Fowler said the relationship ended when the woman told him she was going to a hospital for surgery and ordered him to leave the mobile home. When he did not hear from her, he called the hospital. No one there had ever heard of her, Fowler said.

Monday Horton was told by Judge William Malcolm to give Fowler his money by Wednesday or go to jail.

Her lawyer said the charges were dropped after she paid the money. "She paid the $1,400 to make the whole thing go away," Sweet said.

Advertisement