Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ladies and the heat

Options
  • 25-05-2019 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭

I work in a warmer climate and it’s just getting into winter now, getting down to about 14c at night time. The females who work here are going around rugged up like it’s the artic circle.

It got me thinking and reminded me of when I lived in Ireland and how the girls in the office would have the heating cranked right up leaving the males sweltering in the heat. They often have heaters under their desk and tut loudly at anyone who questions this.

Paradoxically females normally have a higher percentage of body fat so I would have thought they would stay warmer without the need for body warmers or excessive thermostat adjustments

Thoughts on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Notice this too, the secretaries in our office always have the heat cranked to the max.

Like it's May now, turn it down a notch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Body heat is concentrated more around the internal organs in women afaik. Protect dat womb and anything that might be in it.

So women can withstand extreme cold better, but we feel fluctuations in it more.

Another case in point, soon as it hits about 13 degrees load of lads are suddenly too hot to walk through town with their tops on!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

yeah men and women certainly experience temperature differently

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

This a personal “bugbear” for me. And it really does seem to gender divide.

The lads in the office sweating profusely under their shirt and tie while the women swam around in flimsy blouses.

Of course, any suggestion that a jumper be brought in is met with death stares as if you’d just insulted someone’s mother. Ridiculous carry on.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's simple science. For a given bodyweight, women tend to have less muscle tissue to generate heat.
    And the hormone oestrogen also has a big impact because it has the side effect of thickening the blood slightly. This reduces blood flow to the tiny capillaries supplying the extremities.

Apparently women also work better if the heat is turned up.

https://www.rte.ie/news/newslens/2019/0523/1051177-office-temperature/

I like it when the weather gets better and the girls wear less clothes.

I like to walk around town and look at them.

Ah would ya leave him be. He's just a harmless auld lad. Not a re-reg artiste.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Apparently women also work better if the heat is turned up.

https://www.rte.ie/news/newslens/2019/0523/1051177-office-temperature/

Could they not just dress accordingly and get the same results?

If I were to suggest that in my place I’d probably be up in front of HR for harassment or bullying.

The tide is turning…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

I'm a woman and it really annoys me. Put on a jumper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Ah would ya leave him be. He's just a harmless auld lad. Not a re-reg artiste.

You’re the lad who accused me of lying about my age a few weeks ago, right? I don’t think a liar like yourself is in any position to throw stones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Seems air conditioning is a tool of the patriarchy according to some gobby chick in the Guardian.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

A carbon tax on women who don't wear enough clothes in cold weather...might get some nude protests out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

- I think the body can be re-trained (like in my case, I've emigrated from a warmer country to Ireland - so I'd need at least 22 Celsius during winter in the house; while my family favors 25 when they come and visit us here)

- there was this study mentioned last days on social media ; appears that ladies perform significantly better in cognitive tests when its warmer than how they perform when its too cold, while men perform better in cooler conditions, but their performance is affected to a lesser degree.
    https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0216362

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    You’re the lad who accused me of lying about my age a few weeks ago, right? I don’t think a liar like yourself is in any position to throw stones.

The new account barely lasted an hour. Unfortunately, you're still here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

The new account barely lasted an hour. Unfortunately, you're still here.

I’ve only ever had this one account, liar.

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    I’ve only ever had this one account, liar.

Bitterness never flattered a man. Let it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Slideways

Seems air conditioning is a tool of the patriarchy according to some gobby chick in the Guardian.

What utter balderdash!

They were going on about this on the radio when I woke up this morning.. apparently women like it 3 or so degrees warmer..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,355 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

A typical office will often have men who are expected to wear a long sleeve shirt buttoned up to the neck with a tie and trousers sitting next to women who can wear whatever they like, often sleeveless tops that are open at the front and the back, skirts of any length or fit who complain about the temperature being too low.

A clear case of preferential treatment of men in the workplace.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

Slideways wrote: »
    I work in a warmer climate and it’s just getting into winter now, getting down to about 14c at night time. The females who work here are going around rugged up like it’s the artic circle.

It got me thinking and reminded me of when I lived in Ireland and how the girls in the office would have the heating cranked right up leaving the males sweltering in the heat. They often have heaters under their desk and tut loudly at anyone who questions this.

Paradoxically females normally have a higher percentage of body fat so I would have thought they would stay warmer without the need for body warmers or excessive thermostat adjustments

Thoughts on this?

What kind of an office did you work in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

During the week, I caught the end of a discussion on telly about this. Science said women prefer the temperature 3 degrees higher (fair enough), but went on to say that thermostats were designed to be set to the male preference.

Eh...the whole design of a thermostat is that it can be changed. And in my experience, a 20% or more female vote seems to win over the remaining male vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Eh...the whole design of a thermostat is that it can be changed. And in my experience, a 20% or more female vote seems to win over the remaining male vote.

can say what works for me (to accept lower temp in my office): I'd rather put on more layers than staying in a smelly office !
    but then ... after finding article below, have to say sometimes cooperation is also needed :D

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2013/05/manly-sweat-makes-other-men-more-cooperative

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Fcuking bs that's it's designed for men. Nearly any office I've been in it's been sweltering. You can put on more clothes if it's cold. Only so much I can remove when it's warm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Slideways

s4uv3 wrote: »
    What kind of an office did you work in?

It must have been a very cold one by the carry on of some of the chicks that worked there

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Slideways wrote: »
    It must have been a very cold one by the carry on of some of the chicks that worked there

Did you work in the office of a mart?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Fück it. That settles it. Men and women should live entirely separate lives. Only coming together to copulate. The world would be a much better place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I can feel the massive difference in temp when I walk from the mostly male side of the office to the mostly female side, it's like walking into a sauna.
    Thankfully my place is casual so I can wear a t-shirt, and then go hide in the server room with its lovely air con

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Tazzimus wrote: »
    I can feel the massive difference in temp when I walk from the mostly male side of the office to the mostly female side, it's like walking into a sauna.
    Thankfully my place is casual so I can wear a t-shirt, and then go hide in the server room with its lovely air con

Be careful you're not caught amusing yourself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

*My house...Fire lit, heating on full blast. Wife sitting on sofa closest to fire*

Wife "Is it just me or is it cold? Will you pass me the big fluffy blanket from the armchair? I'm freezing in here....Are you not cold?"

Me in shorts and t-shirt "I think it's just you"

F*cking ridiculous carry on. Have to check the heating valve in the shower every time because if she's been in before, the water temperature will be close to molten lava.

Advertisement