Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Older single men and women

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

krudler wrote: »
    Everyone should travel alone at some stage, it's great not having anyone else to get into arguments with about where to go or what to do, all your time is your own. You're out of your comfort zone so chat to randomers in bars just for the sake of chatting.

I can see why people would love to go traveling alone, but I just don't know if I could do it. Where did you go travelling alone just out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Years ago I sat in a pub waiting for a friend echo was late. I had the newspaper and ordered a drink. A sad middle aged couple sat across from me staring. I felt very uncomfortable. Same scenario in Sydney, no one batted an eyelid. There's something about this country that people can't mind their own business. Maybe that's the reason.

Its a very Irish thing alright. You see people sitting in bars or restaurants all the time over here and nobody cares, why would you care about what someone is doing on their own? it's utterly bizarre.

cazzer22 wrote: »
    I can see why people would love to go traveling alone, but I just don't know if I could do it. Where did you go travelling alone just out of interest?

Bunch of places around America's west coast, and moved to Canada :pac:

I do know people who can't spend any time by themselves, including one grown man who won't walk into a pub on his own, someone has to go out and meet him. Apparently walking into a packed pub on a saturday by yourself to meet people already in there is "sad".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Just some observations about older single men and women I've made over the years.

I see far more 40+ year old single men out eating by themselves in restaurants and drinking in bars, going to sporting events, cinema etc, than women. In fact you would rarely see women of that age ever doing the above.

Men drink in groups too, like when there's a match on the main screen or whatever. There are more women in their 30s and 40s in clubs, depending on what club you go to (not talking Coppers or Krystle, but actual decent night clubs), many more women in the Arts - theatre, art gallery exhibition opening nights, book recitals.

Do middle-aged single women stay out of the public eye more than men, or am I incorrectly assuming that men out by themselves in the above situations (maybe excluding sport) are single?

More than likely, but this post alone shows you've got form :p

I worked in a bar/restaurant for years and I remember just one regular middle-aged women coming in for dinner. One. Yet you'd get many men a week in for a meal for one. Do women prefer to eat/drink at home than to be seen in public alone?

One venue, one woman, and you extrapolated that out to make an assertion about women in society in general? If anyone needs to get out more...

No. Women aren't still tied to the kitchen sink, and enjoy as much an active social life, independence, and affluence as their male counterparts.

Or do more women end up married than men (probably a given)

How?

I'm sensing some old fashioned ideas in your "observations" tbh. You seem to completely ignore the possibility of couples in long term co-habiting relationships, and the myriad of other possible permutations.

Is it part of the same cycle that causes more men to become alcoholic, become homeless etc?

What "same cycle" are you talking about here? And by "more men" becoming alcoholic and homeless, do you mean more men than women, or just the men that you have observed going for dinner on their own?

Traveling alone would be great. I had a 4 day holiday on my own and ended up in a hostel and a Swedish girl came in and talked to me for hours. :pac: Also came across a limited edition whiskey in a pub that was being sold at regular prices that I probably wouldn't have copped on to if I'd be in a group because we would've been on rounds of pints. Went wandering alone, chatted to people, great fun. I flew to Canada alone to meet my friend over there. On the way over the old woman next to me got 2 drinks, which I never would've thought of. :P On the way back got talking to someone on the bus whose family was from Hull. Loads of little memories that are mine and mine only. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Men enjoy their own company more.
    That's right, me
    to my own poison.

Czarcasm wrote: »
    There are more women in their 30s and 40s in clubs, depending on what club you go to (not talking Coppers or Krystle, but actual decent night clubs)

Where?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

@ Aribiter of Good Taste: That IS one reason.

Bunch of places around America's west coast, and moved to Canada :pac:

I do know people who can't spend any time by themselves, including one grown man who won't walk into a pub on his own, someone has to go out and meet him. Apparently walking into a packed pub on a saturday by yourself to meet people already in there is "sad".

Some people just prefer to walk in with someone I guess. I'd have no problem walking into a pub to meet someone, just wouldn't actually go for a drink on my own though. Canada and America sound pretty cool, too. I would love to go travelling eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Lapin wrote: »
    How do you know all the men are single OP?

Maybe they just go out to eat beause they can't stand their wife's cooking.

I would say most men would eat the wife's cooking before they would spend the money on a meal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

I've had a few girls admit that the reason they were late for some meet-ups was because they would feel too weird if they had to sit in the pub on their own for a few minutes before I showed up. Bordering on sad tbh.

Why is that sad? Going on meet-ups can be nerve wracking.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Unfortunately, I missed out on the travelling thing but I have been on a few group holidays which were definitely worth it.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Some people just prefer to walk in with someone I guess. I'd have no problem walking into a pub to meet someone, just wouldn't actually go for a drink on my own though. Canada and America sound pretty cool, too. I would love to go travelling eventually.

Try it, early evening/daytime. Quiet pub, just sit there and read or people watch if there's a window looking onto a street. It's really nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

northgirl wrote: »
    But their issue is with being seen alone, even though just for a few minutes. That is sad. Very needy and insecure.

It boils down to "Omg, a bunch of strangers might think I'm a loner!"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Try it, early evening/daytime. Quiet pub, just sit there and read or people watch if there's a window looking onto a street. It's really nice.

I've only just started doing that and I agree. It took me ages to get to the stage where I could go to the pub alone. Cinemas, walks, gigs all fine but pubs and restaurants I just feel uneasy in if I am alone.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

1) The people I'm referring to were very good friends of mine
    2) Aside from that, what has the meet-up bit have to do with the sitting in a pub for a few minutes? Surely it'd be better to be waiting than to take the chance of catching the guy's eye and walking towards him and tripping? :P

I'm actually kind of intrigued now to try something outside the box. Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

I am 40 and eat out, go for coffee, go to gigs etc on my own all the time. Maybe you don't notice coz I don't look 40.

I'm actually kind of intrigued now to try something outside the box. Cheers :)

Do it, you'll wonder what the fuss was about. People generally don't give a crap, and if they do, so? oh no a total stranger I'll never see again thinks I'm weird, big whoop.

1) The people I'm referring to were very good friends of mine
    2) Aside from that, what has the meet-up bit have to do with the sitting in a pub for a few minutes? Surely it'd be better to be waiting than to take the chance of catching the guy's eye and walking towards him and tripping? :P

Fair enough. I suppose I'm just thinking that some people might find going to a venue alone nerve wracking on top of the whole "meet-up" nerves that's all :o

• Advertisement

Magaggie wrote: »
    But their issue is with being seen alone, even though just for a few minutes. That is sad. Very needy and insecure.

It boils down to "Omg, a bunch of strangers might think I'm a loner!"

I think there could be more to it than that in fairness..

I'm personally not hugely confident and maybe I am insecure.. but what of it..

Do it, you'll wonder what the fuss was about. People generally don't give a crap, and if they do, so? oh no a total stranger I'll never see again thinks I'm weird, big whoop.

Haha. Very true. I guess it's just the same as anything, do it once and you'll do it again and again.

Haha. Very true. I guess it's just the same as anything, do it once and you'll do it again and again.

Exactly, and honestly hows it any different than getting a coffee by yourself? its just a different drink

Exactly, and honestly hows it any different than getting a coffee by yourself? its just a different drink

You speak a lot of sense. Cheers for the advice :)

Fair enough. I suppose I'm just thinking that some people might find going to a venue alone nerve wracking on top of the whole "meet-up" nerves that's all :o
    Well personally I'd like to get there first so I could get the seat that I want and stake the place out. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 34 I Voted For Kodos

Have you ever considered that everyone you see on their own isn't single?

Some people go for pints or food alone after work.. Myself being one of them, then on to the girlfriends house.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Thebigblue

Have you ever considered that everyone you see on their own isn't single?

Some people go for pints or food alone after work.. Myself being one of them, then on to the girlfriends house.

I'd have to agree here,not all people that do things by themselves are single. Some people just enjoy their own company every now and again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Lots of women are in cults and polygamous relationships also. Especially around the midlands areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

thread dead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

When no one posts in a thread for over 6 months, then you can safely say it's dead. There's no need to drag it up just to ask.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement