Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

does anyone actually pay to download music?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Spiritual

Sorcha16 wrote: »
    Am I some sort of idiot for also being one of those people? :confused:

I must be too, all the music on my Ipod is paid for either CD transfer or download.
    It must not be cool to admit this but feck it I am not cool.

hahahaha! using itunes? what a terrible experience.

How? I have never had a problem with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Sorcha16

Spiritual wrote: »
    I must be too, all the music on my Ipod is paid for either CD transfer or download.

Me either, nor do I care. Though it might be a little silly of us to pay for something if we can source it for free?

I just don't know how :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

How? I have never had a problem with it.

Thats what you think!

Thats what you think!

Would you care to expand on your post?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Inscrutable

Casillas wrote: »
    Thanks thread, you led me to Spotify!

Bye, bye Grooveshark!

I've been paying for the Grooveshark mobile app for a year or so. My first impression of the android spotify app is that it's not up to much. Spotify premium is €10/mo while GS is €7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

The software is poor, the music is low quality and overpriced and you can't transfer it anywhere else. Nothing to do with being cool/uncool.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

I know "people" who never paid for a film, game, music, sky sports, pay per view, tv series in there life. Media player or laptop attached to tv is the job

The software is poor, the music is low quality and overpriced and you can't transfer it anywhere else. Nothing to do with being cool/uncool.

I would have to disagree with you there, I find Itunes to be perfect for my needs and as I only need it on my laptop and Ipod it's a very simple process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Yes Mr. Sherlock, I do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 fouga

I pay for music downloads. I believe in getting paid for my work, why should I deny others the right to earn from their work.

Some artists earn $50 million a year....they make enough money as is, so do all the record labels. It not as if they are struggling to pay bills!!!!

Am I some sort of idiot for also being one of those people? :confused:

im afraid you are, how much did that cost you over the years???

This process is perfect for the music industry IMO, especially if the music is available in FLAC format. Artists would make a lot more money and cut out a lot more middlemen if this became more common.

fouga wrote: »
    Some artists earn $50 million a year....they make enough money as is, so do all the record labels. It not as if they are struggling to pay bills!!!!

That is idiotic reasoning. My local shop makes a good profit should that entitle me to rob it?

That is idiotic reasoning. My local shop makes a good profit should that entitle me to rob it?

can you copy and paste the stuff in your shop for free and distribute it to as many people as you want. if they really cared they would make the music files that they cant be copied or ripped

im afraid you are, how much did that cost you over the years???

My integrity is priceless :) :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

God I just looked on my iPod, 1186 purchased songs from Itunes. Feel a bit of a tit now :(

can you copy and paste the stuff in your shop for free and distribute it to as many people as you want. if they really cared they would make the music files that they cant be copied or ripped

Is this your justification?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,223 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Not coming down on either side of the debate. A question occurs to me though...

Where are all these bajillions of tracks missing 'from', exactly?

If I for example, download Album x from Mr Bono & Co, and immediately email him a copy of what I downloaded with an apology, have I returned it?

Don't forget folks. Photocopying is killing printed music!

endacl wrote: »
    Not coming down on either side of the debate. A question occurs to me though...

Where are all these bajillions of tracks missing 'from', exactly?

If I for example, download Album x from Mr Bono & Co, and immediately email him a copy of what I downloaded with an apology, have I returned it?

Don't forget folks. Photocopying is killing printed music!

I just stole your post, reproduced it and re-distributed it!

• Advertisement

I just stole your post, reproduced it and re-distributed it!
    Go for it dude! Its only 1's and 0's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

not crazy about the software - i'll give you that.

however, you're wrong about the 'you can't transfer it anywhere else' - there are no restrictions on itunes downloads any more.

also for a yearly sub you can upload your entire library to icloud, whether the songs were bought there or not originally. this allowed me to increase the quality of thousands of old mp3s I had.

disagree with the quality argument too - it's 320kbps, which is not FLAC but not ****, and i would bet that >90% people would not be able to distinguish a difference between that and FLAC, and certainly not on an average speaker set.

Where are all these bajillions of tracks missing 'from', exactly?If I for example, download Album x from Mr Bono & Co, and immediately email him a copy of what I downloaded with an apology, have I returned it?

Don't be silly, Bono doesn't want his music back from you. He just wants the money you owe him for it.

Don't be silly, Bono doesn't want his music back from you. He just wants the money you owe him for it.
    Purely hypothetical. I don't have any Mr Bono music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

€1 per track to download? :eek: I'll stick to the Russian sites thanks!

You don't buy the music! Well you can if you want, can't see why you would.

It's free if you don't mind ads
    €5 a month on your desktop without ads
    €10 if you want to listen and download to your mobile.

It's Netflix for music - except it has 99% of all music out there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

So for free Spotify are you only allowed 20 hours of free listening? If that's the case it's a bit daft. I don't know how these things take off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Technology enabled musicians to charge for copies of their music and now technology has taken away that ability-easy come easy go. The ones who suffered the biggest sales drops are the ones who already had vast fortunes while younger bands just have to accept that their future income will be made up of gigs, licensing and merchandise. Record companies have already as good as recognised that music is free through their approval of streaming sites and anyone who pays for music these days is just a rube.

Purely hypothetical. I don't have any Mr Bono music.

I never claimed you had. You asked a hypothetical question and I gave you a hypothetical answer

• Registered Users Posts: 43 gb40

Do you need a FB account to use Spotify?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Neeson wrote: »
    So for free Spotify are you only allowed 20 hours of free listening? If that's the case it's a bit daft. I don't know how these things take off.

Why?

For €9.99 a month you listen to whatever you want, wherever you want
    All legit - all readily available

No torrents, no synching, no storing

Advertisement