Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

does anyone actually pay to download music?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

fouga wrote: »
    What, thats no help.....:confused:
    Go to your 'My Music' folder or wherever the songs are, right-click, 'Open with -> Itunes', drag them down to the left hand side where it says 'My iPod'. It honestly couldn't be more easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭endacl

No. I don't pay to download. Over the years is spent silly money buying 1000's of albums on vinyl, then cd's. Feel no guilt downloading an album I've already paid for. Now, if I want something new, I'll get the vinyl. Putting on music still retains some 'ritual'. Most albums come with a code for a free dl. If they dont, sometimes I'm cheeky and grab it anyway. No different from when I used to tape a copy for the car. I'd be embarrassed to add up an estimate of what I've paid over the years for music. Won't 'buy an album' in mp3 format. Will chuck it on in the car as an mp3, but if I'm listening at home, I want quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭adam88

I'm using YouTube converter. Just simply find the song on YouTube then copy the link and away you go you have to drag the file over alright but all in all you've the song on your iPod within 7-8 mind. I think this works well for me as quality is good enough. Am I creating work for myself by doing this

fouga wrote: »

What, thats no help.....:confused:
    File>import track, or file>import folder.

Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Frostwire? Pffft that's so old. Napster is where it's at.

• Advertisement

adam88 wrote: »
    I'm using YouTube converter. Just simply find the song on YouTube then copy the link and away you go you have to drag the file over alright but all in all you've the song on your iPod within 7-8 mind. I think this works well for me as quality is good enough. Am I creating work for myself by doing this
    Yes. And the quality will be crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

MadYaker wrote: »
    Depends. If its some new relatively unknown band I will buy their stuff to support them, but if its some well established bands who are already minted I will just steal it from the interwebs.
    do you check their accounts to see if they are minted or do you guess? Or is ti only pre 1990 bands?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

If you download FLAC versions of music, the quality will be exceptional. When searching just add "FLAC" to the album title, or choose it in the list of results.

The file sizes are huge though so not really suitable for portable devices with very limited storage. Plus in a typical portable environment (noisy DART, etc) I doubt if you'd tell the difference between them & 320kbps mp3s. In addition, if (unlike me) you're an Apple gimp user you won't be able to play them on your iPod but will have to convert them. For home use with a decent system they're pretty good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 fouga

endacl wrote: »
    File>import track, or file>import folder.

Simple.

ha ok must be my Ipod thats fecked, it wants to format the drive for some reason every time I plug it into my laptop. I thought that was something to do with putting Illegal music on it...woops

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Yes lots of people pay for music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Yes. And the quality will be crap.

In fairness if he's using that method to get his music he's probably also using the earbuds that came free with his iPod, so he wouldn't be able to notice any difference in quality anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

I use kat.ph or the pirate bay for mine. Does that make me some sort of out-of-touch grandad?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭adam88

OSI wrote: »

lol, 7-8 minutes per track?

I'd have the entire discography of most artists in that kinda time.

Well a lot of that time is do to crappy download speeds. I think quality is good enough

adam88 wrote: »

Well a lot of that time is do to crappy download speeds. I think quality is good enough
    Well, if you're happy with it... Try an A/B test with a legal mp3 of the same track. Then try it against a cd copy. If you have access, try vinyl. If you're still happy, bin the ipod earbuds and try again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Jmccoy1 wrote: »
    2012 called and said Spotify is now available in Ireland.

€1 per track to download? :eek: I'll stick to the Russian sites thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

paying for music?

isn't that what they use to do in the olden days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

OSI wrote: »
    Or you could just stream it from Spotify for free.. Just saying.

:o don't know how to do that! Can I save it to iTunes?

:o don't know how to do that! Can I save it to iTunes?
    Oh, lord...

Is everybody's Google machine broken?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,144 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Oh, lord...

Is everybody's Google machine broken?!?

Lets check

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

1: copy link from youtube and paste here: http://www.youtube-mp3.org/
    2: Press convert video button
    3: ???
    4: Profit!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

It used to be play+record! Technology sure do be moving' on! I'll never catch up....

:-)

Play+Record+Pause !

The un-pause when the DJ stops talking!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Momento Mori

Yeah, use Frostwire if you want your PC to fall apart in a few months.

Keepvid. Use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Why would I pay :pac: for music when I have Youtube converter ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭garra

Nah I dont pay for downloaded music, i support bands through gig attendance. The odd time I will buy an album from a small-time /obscure artist, which has as much to do with not being able to download their work as any altruistic reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭666irishguy

I'd buy the CD in a shop if I was fan or it was a new band. I've downloaded a few back catalogues without paying and I'm not ashamed to admit it. Record companies should just come out and admit that the reason they are squirming about downloading is the fact that nobody is going to buy the hugely overpriced back catalogues of the likes of The Beatles or Zeppelin if they are for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Spiritual

I pay for music downloads. I believe in getting paid for my work, why should I deny others the right to earn from their work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

I have paid for it every single time over the course of maybe the last 4 years. Used to download illegally a lot when limewire was about but since iTunes is just a click away on my iPod i just use that..

Simplez

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

lots of people saying they buy "new bands"....strange how new bands are selling f*ck all then!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Sorcha16

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    My bother however has thousands of songs on his ipod and has purchased them all from itunes :rolleyes:

Am I some sort of idiot for also being one of those people? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

hahahaha! using itunes? what a terrible experience.

Advertisement