Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does Google maps know about traffic?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I think it also includes location data of all phones, even non smart phones.
    GPS data is outside your mobile data afaik - could be wrong here...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

• Registered Users Posts: 40,060 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

how could non-smartphones be sending data to google?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

The carriers may be collecting that data but probably not selling it to google.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,395 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

That’s how it works. It’s pretty ridiculous the amount of personal information you give up to Google in return for using Android.

Meh. It's useful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭Cordell

That’s how it works. It’s pretty ridiculous the amount of personal information you give up to Google in return for using Android.

You pay nothing for a huge software package and a huge infrastructure - hence you are the merchandise for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭lertsnim

bobbyss wrote: »
    The road turns red when there's heavy traffic. How does Google maps know this?

The same way they can tell you if a shop is busy or not. All the phones in a specific area at that given time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,828 ✭✭✭kirving

The carriers may be collecting that data but probably not selling it to google.

In the US, carriers sell data on user locations to whoever will buy it. That's even with non smart phones.

Originally the idea in tracking your location was that you could call "1800-Towing" or whatever from wherever you were in the US, and you would be out through to a local company.

Now, it has evolved to such an extent, and become such big business, that even if you travel, robo-calling advertising bots will appear as a phone number local to where you are at any given time.

This podcast gives a good overview of how it works.

https://gimletmedia.com/shows/reply-all/awhk76

In terms of traffic, there are a number of companies who amalgamate data from a wide range of sources, and then sell this onto GPS providers. They can apply machine learning to estimate journey times, and predict when traffic is due to be bad, based off previous data.

Local traffic measurement by the likes of Dublin City Council is supplemented by GPS readings from Google, Apple, and others to help build up a map.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

The always on gps is surely a major battery eater. More important than privacy to me. So I turn app requests for bg tracking off.

how could non-smartphones be sending data to google?

All phones need to constantly log in to the network yeah ?
    Not sure location data is included, but for example police can determine location even of non smart phones ? or is that using triangulation and getting rough locations ?

Again, I'm not 100% ...

The reason I am thinking this is when I was last in the united states I was terrified of roaming charges so knocked off my mobile data.

Downloading maps in the hotel wifi, I could still get accurate GPS location when I was out on the streets - so the GPS is outside of the internet mobile data ?

• Advertisement

Non-smartphones can't send data to Google, but the mobile network can.
    GPS is independent of mobile data, it's a direct one-way connection to the satellites above.

Cordell wrote: »
    Non-smartphones can't send data to Google, but the mobile network can.
    GPS is independent of mobile data, it's a direct one-way connection to the satellites above.

OK so makes sense why I can see my position on a map with 3g/4g off on a mobile - yet this data won't be sent to Google - correct ?

Probably if that map is some offline navigation map like Here or TomTom then no, Google doesn't know, but they may still get the location history when you turn the data connection back on if you're on an Android device.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

bobbyss wrote: »
    The road turns red when there's heavy traffic. How does Google maps know this?

because most people don't realise you can turn off the "location", "body sensor" and "microphone" permissions of the google play services app, despite the fact your android phone will tell you turning those 2 off will negatively effect your phone, it doesn't do anything at all except give you back your privacy

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

I want to know how I’ll be discussing something obscure and will then see an ad for it on my phone. :eek:

turn off the microphone permission of the google play services app

Advertisement