Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

If you could change one thing about Ireland...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Where shall I start?

- All teachers/doctors/nurses have to work in the system for 2 years before getting their papers so they can't flit off to usa/dubai/australia as soon as they qualify - we'd never run out of doctors/nurses/teachers then.

- Retired teachers cannot work as relief teachers/exam hall checkers (?) etc - leave the jobs for the young, new teachers. They can do grinds.

- Public service employees should not get extra paid benefits that every other employee in the country public/private doesn't get like sick pay, paid maternity leave, 5 year "need to find myself breaks" etc. They have a job for life - that should be enough - they shouldn't get more benefits.

- Tell travellers once and for all that they aren't a special ethnic group - they are a bunch of useless, lazy, thieving, uneducated people. I'm sick of funding their lifestyle.

- All social welfare recipients must do a reading/writing/maths test to ensure that you are capable of getting a job. Being illiterate in this day and age is unacceptable and should not be tolerated. You want welfare, go to classes. There will always be some people with learning difficulties, I'm not talking about them - I'm talking about the average person who left school early, can't fill in a form and now moans that the government won't give them everything.

- Unemployed youth/people who have never had a job need to learn from the bottom up - so yes, you get a trainee wage, not a fully experienced way - stop pretending the world owes you a living - we all had to learn our craft - you are not being exploited - you are being taught a profession/trade/skill. Suck it up, learn the job and then you will get an experienced person's wage.

- Bring back national service - the young people today cannot take instruction, cannot dress appropriately, cannot speak properly and can't function without a phone in their hands (my own daughter included). Learn a skill, take instruction, learn how to work in a team, get fit (no drugs or drink), no anxiety (too tired to be anxious), learn to speak to your peers, not via text, how respect for others and earn respect for yourself.

- Three strikes and you're out - no more 35 convictions, sob story etc, the fe*kers have the elderly living in fear in their houses - no means no and throw them in jail - I'd rather pay them to stay in jail than pay them social welfare, pay for their probation officers and probation reports, pay for their substance abuse counselling, give them a medical card etc. Lets not make being a thieving druggy a profession, cut them off at the legs, so to speak.

My change would be to round up everyone who rants like this and deposit them on an uninhabited island.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Taxes. Anyone earning a half-decent few shillings gets a ferocious skinning, we should move to a broader, more progressive setup like they use in Germany, for example. Aside from that, sure'n'tis a great little country altogether.

My change would be to round up everyone who rants like this and deposit them on an uninhabited island.

It was a little bit much, but you'd have to admit it was a beautiful bit of Pure Blueshirt manifesto. Bravo! :D

Get an EU-wide deal that makes medicines affordable. In Ireland, in particular, we are being gouged individually, and our state is (it pays everything over €134 per month).

If the EU could negotiate as one we would get far greater economies of scale from these mammoth pharmaceutical corporations.

Also, people littering our country. It has always bothered me. There are so many awful parents, whom I define as people who don't instil a respect for other people and for all aspects of our environment in their children. That should be the basis for kids to evolve to others forms of kindness.

Lastly, decentralise Ireland. Putting everything in Dublin and refusing to have a strategy that builds up urban centres across Ireland is crazily myopic. This goes far beyond the ridiculous cost of housing in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

Prison time has been proven not to reduce crime. Jail sentences make good headlines, long or short. Stop paying attention to sensationalist headlines.

Really? By whom?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I would make badgers the most dangerous creature on earth with some added spikes and aggression.

...Lastly, decentralise Ireland. Putting everything in Dublin and refusing to have a strategy that builds up urban centres across Ireland is crazily myopic. This goes far beyond the ridiculous cost of housing in Dublin.

Unelected Redzers in various planning offices around the country deciding what gets built and what doesn't need to be hauled out of there and redeployed as Porcine Copulation Facilitators on pig-farms. Theoretically they're fine and well, but in my own personal experience a lot of them have, shall we say, rather dangerous politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Get the teachers to correct all state exams. I mean they get paid for the summer anyway so why do they get paid twice if they sign up for exam correction. We waste thousands each year paying for our state exams to be corrected while our teachers get longer paid holidays that the TDs. If it was compulsory for them all to do it, it would probably take a week. Whats one week out of the whole summer off with pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Disband the HSE and put business people in to shake it back to functioning for the people .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Complete 100% separation of church and state. Religion should have no place in the running of our schools or hospitals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Yurt! wrote: »
    Mandatory de-radicalization classes for middle-aged right wing men.

Activities will include yoga, mindfulness and confronting the difficult relationship they had with their judgemental father. Those refusing to cooperate with the programme will have their Sky Sports subscription taken away and their golf clubs confiscated.

Wrong sex - what do you have in mind for middle aged, sole traders who are women!

You'll be one of those ranters in about 20 years! It comes with age ...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Wrong sex - what do you have in mind for middle aged, sole traders who are women!

Probably a course of valium.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

You'll be one of those ranters in about 20 years! It comes with age ...

I'm mid-50s already! Not even sure if I'll be around in 20 years. I've never abandoned my idealistic hopes and beliefs :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

What a thread, all of After Hours summed up in one thread.

Sometimes threads like these make me wonder about people.

Prison time has been proven not to reduce crime. Jail sentences make good headlines, long or short. Stop paying attention to sensationalist headlines.

Parents of private schools pay higher tax and that money does not go to their childrens school. They then pay directly to the school. If this system is abolished their school will get more tax money and those parents will donate to their school.

All these hardline ideas that aren't carried out because they're proven not to work.

I agree with the accountability calls, better systems where actions can help more people without gaving to know soneone who knows soneone etc.

The calls for better politicians, which is responded to with we get the ones we vite for. Threads like these make me think if this this the scope of what normal people have to say then maybe our politicians are our best people. We're just a limited bunch.

My one thing to change is from a piece I heard on the radio a few years ago. There was a Phd in trinity based on early childhood parenting. They took volunteers who were pregnant and met them at regular intervals over something close to a decade. Each time they would give parenting advice that was age and issue appropriate. Anecdotal reports at the time were tremendous and in cases where they could compare the child to a sibling the younger child was smarter, happier & slimmer than their older sibling. In one case the older child was over weight and dropped out of school at 15. The younger child was top of the class and performing well at sports. This was in a poorer area.

My one thing would be quality parenting support for 2-3 generations that would fix many of our social issues.

Hold on, if someone is locked up, how are they committing crimes??

• Registered Users Posts: 20,487 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Having a mobile phone which is a crime. And using it to control criminal activity outside. Having, using and dealing drugs in prison. Attacking other prisoners, and prison officers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I'd get rid of the property tax just to annoy dxhound2005 ;)

Having a mobile phone which is a crime. And using it to control criminal activity outside. Having, using and dealing drugs in prison. Attacking other prisoners, and prison officers.

Signal blockers are cheap enough these days.

Complete 100% separation of church and state. Religion should have no place in the running of our schools or hospitals.

There's some echo in here. I said that a few pages back. And I only reneged on a bit of it so I could suggest we could kick stupid people in the crotch instead, which is kind of as beneficial at taking the schools off the church.

Either way, you and I have my vote. I vote for schools where churches have no involvement and we teach the childers that it is in fact quite okay to kick idiots between the legs when nothing else will get them to SFTU.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Get the teachers to correct all state exams. I mean they get paid for the summer anyway so why do they get paid twice if they sign up for exam correction. We waste thousands each year paying for our state exams to be corrected while our teachers get longer paid holidays that the TDs. If it was compulsory for them all to do it, it would probably take a week. Whats one week out of the whole summer off with pay?

Teaching in Ireland is one of the softest jobs by a long shot.

• Advertisement

Drones?

That depends.

Are you hot and easy?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Vastly improve public transport including a train line to serve people in Donegal, Cavan, Monaghan and Meath. Maybe even connect with Derry. Go ahead with the proposed Derry Dublin motorway.

An end to greed and rip off Ireland. Better funding and resources for Mental Health nurses, teams and the whole area.

JayZeus wrote: »
    That depends.

Are you hot and easy?

Wrong again - auld and curmudgeonry

Drones?

Could you show me a single instance of a jailed person using a drone?? Anywhere in the world.

Wrong again - auld and curmudgeonry

Well, I won't look, if you don't tell.

:D

Could you show me a single instance of a jailed person using a drone?? Anywhere in the world.

No of course I can't, it was a humorous reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

*Better child care facilities for all, those earning more would contribute more*
    I don't have kids. Should I be paying for your inability to keep your dick in your pants?

yes. those children's taxes will pay for services when you are retired

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

Panthro wrote: »
    The social welfare system.
    Too many cnuts happily sitting on their holes week in, week out.
    Get up ta fcuk and get a job.

Why not give somebody a maximum of 1 year on the dole in a five year period. That’ll learn them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Yurt! wrote: »
    Mandatory de-radicalization classes for middle-aged right wing men.

Activities will include yoga, mindfulness and confronting the difficult relationship they had with their judgemental father. Those refusing to cooperate with the programme will have their Sky Sports subscription taken away and their golf clubs confiscated.

Great idea potentially.
    Who do we send around to enforce this though? Some bag of sticks wearing his sister's jeans?

Advertisement