Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

In my mid 40s... Mid life crisis time?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

Sounds like you're trying to hard to prove how great your life is my friend. Most people get out of the bumming around grimey hostels in sh*thole countries in their 20s.

Can't say that flitting around the world with no base would appeal to me. Much happier with the wife, kids, 181 Audi Q7, a job that pays shed loads of cash and a few holidays to nice places every year.

Each to their own mister.

Have had the settled life in a job that paid shed loads of money and hated it. (not to say that I am not comfortable now).

I am not trying to prove how great my life is now, it IS great. I am lucky beyond belief.

I am living my life for myself and those that I love. If someone needs me I am able to be there no matter where in the world... all it takes is a phone call.

I am glad you are happy with your life... as I am with mine. Different strokes for different folks. Can I complain about anything? Absolutely not. Everyone is different...

By the way, the Q7 wasn't for me.. I prefer my RR SVR..;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ariadne

I think I'm still in the midst of a mid-life crisis that started when I was 25. I'm 30 now. In my defense I have a limited life span and I'll be lucky to reach my forties. My lung age is 60 so you never know, maybe I'll make it to 50. All I'd really like is to finally be somewhat content with who I am and find out what I want before I die.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I mean, I don’t mean to be crude, but would there not be lots of men orgasming from being penetrated, possibly while getting “a reacharound”?

That could be through homosexual coitus or when a man likes having a woman pretend to be a man by using a dildo on him.

Ever try pegging yourself, Emmet? Having a bird strap an ArseBlaster 2000 to herself, and riding you like Ruby Walsh on a wet day in Punchstown?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

An existential crisis.

I turned 40 last year and I am traumatized by the fact I am closer to 60 than 20 but yet still think I'm 25. When I go back home (1-2) a year I still expect to see all the usual heads in the local but the place is empty...sure I still think its the year 2000-2001 when Ireland was buzzing with the 'Popes Children' generation coming of age. All moved on married kids and the rest- sure I'm married with two kids myself and living abroad.

I still play sports, no greying hair no baldness, no 'Dad Bod'- in fact I weigh the same as I did during my Leaving Cert- bang on 11 stone but fitter although the turn of pace is gone. I know what to do and is going to happen but the body does not react as quickly. My reading of the game is superb though- don't even need to tackle anymore or break a sweat. Right Peter Pan here.

At the same time do not want to be sad old lad we all remember when we were teens. You know when you were 17-18 there was always some 'old' lad on the team/subs bench with knee bandages hanging off desperately trying to still put in a shift and it was just sad.

As for playing with a hangover? No chance. I feel two pints now.

This New Year's eve will be 20 years since the millennium which is frightening.

I worry that I'll wake up one day 'old' and go "FCUCKKK..." and then start regretting all the things I didn't do and now it's too late or I'm become terminally ill.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

jimgoose wrote:
    What are you running away from to a dingy flat in the city centre half-cut to have yourself interfered with by a lady of questionable standard while defecating? That is surely the act of a devout lunatic!

Don't knock it til you've tried it lad.

Middle age takes you to some strange places.

Not only men,either. I've had my share of colourful requests from wrenches over the years.

One wanted me to poke her arsehole out with an electric toothbrush during coitus.
    It apparently belonged to her housemate who she didn't like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Ever try pegging yourself, Emmet? Having a bird strap an ArseBlaster 2000 to herself, and riding you like Ruby Walsh on a wet day in Punchstown?

Hahaha, you paint quite the picture there Johnny but no that wouldn’t be for me. I prefer to Ruby Walsh in that scenario.

I just hope the wife doesn’t frequent this site, do not want that idea being sprung on me without any consultation after a couple of bottles of red!

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭maninasia

Not in my experience lad.

Men have been forming family units and settling down after a period of travel and adventure since time immemorial. Reproduction is what life is about. In my experience people who can't settle and travel are generally running away from themselves. But no matter where they go, they're always with themselves.

What would you do if you were like me mates in 2008 that had to sell off that Audi and look for a job overseas?

I have travelled the world and have a great home life too.
    It's a big place.

It's not for everyone , moving overseas for long periods or forever , but it's the ultimate adventure and eye opener.

I mean, I don’t mean to be crude, but would there not be lots of men orgasming from being penetrated, possibly while getting “a reacharound”?

That could be through homosexual coitus or when a man likes having a woman pretend to be a man by using a dildo on him.

WTF is going on here....:confused:

WTF is going on here....:confused:

Hector said he didn’t think it was possible for a man to orgasm while evacuating his bowels. I was merely giving examples of when this might happen while the anus was otherwise engaged.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭maninasia

An existential crisis.

I turned 40 last year and I am traumatized by the fact I am closer to 60 than 20 but yet still think I'm 25. When I go back home (1-2) a year I still expect to see all the usual heads in the local but the place is empty...sure I still think its the year 2000-2001 when Ireland was buzzing with the 'Popes Children' generation coming of age. All moved on married kids and the rest- sure I'm married with two kids myself and living abroad.

I still play sports, no greying hair no baldness, no 'Dad Bod'- in fact I weigh the same as I did during my Leaving Cert- bang on 11 stone but fitter although the turn of pace is gone. I know what to do and is going to happen but the body does not react as quickly. My reading of the game is superb though- don't even need to tackle anymore or break a sweat. Right Peter Pan here.

At the same time do not want to be sad old lad we all remember when we were teens. You know when you were 17-18 there was always some 'old' lad on the team/subs bench with knee bandages hanging off desperately trying to still put in a shift and it was just sad.

As for playing with a hangover? No chance. I feel two pints now.

This New Year's eve will be 20 years since the millennium which is frightening.

I worry that I'll wake up one day 'old' and go "FCUCKKK..." and then start regretting all the things I didn't do and now it's too late or I'm become terminally ill.

It's invariable when you live abroad and visit rarely that you are stuck in a kind of time warp. Slow changes to friends and family are perceived as massive to you. It's the closest thing to time travel I will ever experience.

I have a lot of questions about my life in the 40s. I don't know what they mean yet.

Physically I'm not what I was , it concerns me a bit but it's not the major challenge, at least I hope it isn't . I can work on some parts. Mostly I have to accept I'm not as good looking as I was. Put down the vanity mirror and get on with it.

I haven't achieved some of my dreams, I stll want to achieve something. I'm ready for a change. Theres at least one major chapter left in my life to write. A big move, a new career or business ? I will be hanging onto the wife and kids though thanks very much . I still have ambition and willing to take a risk.

I told my colleague in her 40s and she told me 'at least you still have dreams'', and I do.

There's also bigger picture things that I'm aware of. And that's a bit different than the old me. So crisis...I don't think so....But definitely more considerations involved and also a bit more clarity on how the world works and not much time to make things happen .

Enjoy things now while you can is also a big one ! Your parents won't be around forever, your kids will grow up, the ability to hike or dive might not always be there, so seize the day.

• Advertisement

maninasia wrote: »
    It's invariable when you live abroad and visit rarely that you are stuck in a kind of time warp. Slow changes to friends and family are perceived as massive to you. It's the closest thing to time travel I will ever experience.

I have a lot of questions about my life in the 40s. I don't know what they mean yet.

Physically I'm not what I was , it concerns me a bit but it's not the major challenge, at least I hope it isn't . I can work on some parts.

I haven't achieved some of my dreams, I stll want to achieve something. I'm ready for a change. Theres at least one major chapter left in my life to write. A big move, a new career or business ? I will be hanging onto the wife and kids though thanks very much . I still have ambition and willing to take a risk.

I told my colleague in her 40s and she told me 'at least she still have dreams'', and I do.

It's like the old Irish that emigrated in the 50s and 60s to the US etc. They (not all of course) still think that Ireland is still just like it was in the 1950s and invariably I have found that this filters through to the natives. For example, as the old Irish are devout Catholics basically it feeds the stereotype that it must be like that in Ireland today. I find some in the UK genuinely have a picture of Ireland today that disappeared decades ago and that we all work on building sites or pave roads. Even my English wife had that picture and when we are going around Ireland today I will ask her is the reality like the stereotype in her head? She invariably says 'No'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Things get better at 45.. you move into the 45-50 age category for sporting achievements!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Good point actually, I wouldn't know, I've never been f*cked in the ass by a guy.

I'm a straight meat and potatoes kind of bloke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

jimgoose wrote: »
    I'm not quite sure - I'm 47, but I think my whole life has been a mid-life crisis of sorts. I will say that now, on "lap 2" relationship-wise, I'm having more and better sex than I ever did, not to mention more travelling, shows, restaurants and fun generally.

What are you running away from to a dingy flat in the city centre half-cut to have yourself interfered with by a lady of questionable standard while defecating? That is surely the act of a devout lunatic! :pac::pac::pac:

Not running from anything Jimmy.

I'm adventurous when it comes to me sex life. Will try anything once. Heard about Nnenna Goodwill Odeki's blumkin service from a lad I met on a golfing trip to the Costa del sol. He swore by it. Said it was like nothing he'd ever experienced before.

Built up the courage to go. Well dutch courage in the form of 12 pints of Arthurs marvellous medicine. Arrived up to the apartment. Usual type for these operations. Laminate wood floor, storage heaters, plastic venition blinds. You know the story. Your one wasn't much to look at to be honest. Hefty enough. Big dumpy African arse and a gap between her front teeth. Anyway, mick on the Costa had vouched for her so I decided to crack on.

I wasn't in peak condition due to the aforementioned porter. Things had gone a bit floppy if you know what I mean. Not fully soft, sorta like the give a stick of cheesestring would have. Wasn't very aroused is what I am saying. Her hands didn't help matters. They were freezing. Touch of death to a man struggling with blood flow to the purple monster. I made her stop, go over and warm them up on the storage heater and come back.

Meanwhile I closed my eyes and thought about a cracking bird with red hair and massive knockers I had seen in St John gogartys earlier that evening. It did the trick. Soon enough I had a hard on that an East German gymnast could do a perfect circle flair and dismount off.

Pressure started building and Nnenna could tell. She told me to start pushing now. "PUSH DA POO POO PADDY. PUSH!". I let ****ing rip. Dump out a barrel full of black scutter ****e. Same time I was like the lads on the galvescon ad from the hose pipe. Messy. Messy messy.

NSAman wrote: »
    Each to their own mister.

Have had the settled life in a job that paid shed loads of money and hated it. (not to say that I am not comfortable now).

I am not trying to prove how great my life is now, it IS great. I am lucky beyond belief.

I am living my life for myself and those that I love. If someone needs me I am able to be there no matter where in the world... all it takes is a phone call.

I am glad you are happy with your life... as I am with mine. Different strokes for different folks. Can I complain about anything? Absolutely not. Everyone is different...

By the way, the Q7 wasn't for me.. I prefer my RR SVR..;)

Jaysus, !
    fair play those things are worth what €130k ????

Everyone's rich again, booms back!!

Not running from anything Jimmy.

I'm adventurous when it comes to me sex life. Will try anything once. Heard about Nnenna Goodwill Odeki's blumkin service from a lad I met on a golfing trip to the Costa del sol. He swore by it. Said it was like nothing he'd ever experienced before.

Built up the courage to go. Well dutch courage in the form of 12 pints of Arthurs marvellous medicine. Arrived up to the apartment. Usual type for these operations. Laminate wood floor, storage heaters, plastic venition blinds. You know the story. Your one wasn't much to look at to be honest. Hefty enough. Big dumpy African arse and a gap between her front teeth. Anyway, mick on the Costa had vouched for her so I decided to crack on.

I wasn't in peak condition due to the aforementioned porter. Things had gone a bit floppy if you know what I mean. Not fully soft, sorta like the give a stick of cheesestring would have. Wasn't very aroused is what I am saying. Her hands didn't help matters. They were freezing. Touch of death to a man struggling with blood flow to the purple monster. I made her stop, go over and warm them up on the storage heater and come back.

Meanwhile I closed my eyes and thought about a cracking bird with red hair and massive knockers I had seen in St John gogartys earlier that evening. It did the trick. Soon enough I had a hard on that an East German gymnast could do a perfect circle flair and dismount off.

Pressure started building and Nnenna could tell. She told me to start pushing now. "PUSH DA POO POO PADDY. PUSH!". I let ****ing rip. Dump out a barrel full of black scutter ****e. Same time I was like the lads on the galvescon ad from the hose pipe. Messy. Messy messy.

Jaysus Paddy!
    One of yer best ones yet!
    So it is possible then ?

Good point actually, I wouldn't know, I've never been f*cked in the ass by a guy.

I'm a straight meat and potatoes kind of bloke.

Haha, you’re barking up the wrong bush if you think I’m your man to change that.

I should point out that I have nothing against that sort of thing, it’s just my own preference not to engage in it. I voted yes in the equality referendum.

The tide is turning…

Haha, you’re barking up the wrong bush if you think I’m your man to change that.

I should point out that I have nothing against that sort of thing, it’s just my own preference not to engage in it. I voted yes in the equality referendum.

Yeah me too, sure my cousin is a gay lad, got married to a lovely brazilian fella recently, I said as a joke "No sucking cock at the altar" ... didn;t go down too well :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

What do you people who've always had long hair, fast cars and leather clothes do for a midlife crisis ?

I'm the same as Wibbs in that time isn't racing past although I'm younger than you two as far as I know .

I suppose society will be offended if I don't cut my waist length hair off sometime . Not sure what the age limit is and don't care. It's only just grown back .

On the other hand close friends are pestering me to have a baby . I don't know why but it's getting to me . Am extremely independent at heart and not sure about this settling down again business . It's all pressure anyway . Do this ,that and the other by a set age. No wonder people have crises . Doing things for the sake of it isn't a good reason .

Are you sure it's not at least partly the weather? The Spring weather makes me want to do new things. Then the wintry weather comes back and confuses things.

Surely everyone feels like a change at some point?

I quite like the saying ''growing old is a privilege denied to many.'' Sadly true .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Noveight wrote: »
    Grow yer hair out a bit, buy a leather jacket and an overpriced motorbike!
    BeerWolf wrote: »
    Get a BMW
    Buy a BMW motorcycle.
    The motorcycle show was in the RDS a few weeks ago.
    I'm having my mid-life crisis in my late 60's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I reckon my mother had one about 5 yrs back in her late 40s. She started dying her hair weird colours and getting tattoos. Father went apesh1t over it, :D
    Trying to relive her 'punk' yrs, cringe..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

What do you people who've always had long hair, fast cars and leather clothes do for a midlife crisis ?
    Cocaine and hookers!

Jaysus, !
    fair play those things are worth what €130k ????

Everyone's rich again, booms back!!

Actually close to $200K but its only money..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Am in my early 40s and one of the negatives i’ve noticed in past few years is that it’s much more difficult to cut my toe-nails.
    My best years are definitely past but life goes on just at a slower pace.

Am in my early 40s and one of the negatives i’ve noticed in past few years is that it’s much more difficult to cut my toe-nails.

Do you not have "people" to do that for ya?.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,867 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Buy a BMW motorcycle.

Slow enough which is why the aulfellas love 'em ;)

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I'm 41. My mid life crisis isn't a crisis. I'm loving being older, kids are grown, we have a few bob to enjoy and we are still young enough to not be in poor health. I did buy a convertible last year though and get endless slagging over it by my mates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

My best years are definitely past but life goes on just at a slower pace.

Yoga man, ye can’t have a modern day midlife crisis without a few yoga classes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

Only a couple of months behind you JK. No midlife crisis, healthier, fitter and happier than ever, wouldn’t go back to 20’s or 30’s for the world. (20’s were a disaster).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

eviltwin wrote: »
    I'm 41. My mid life crisis isn't a crisis. I'm loving being older, kids are grown, we have a few bob to enjoy and we are still young enough to not be in poor health. I did buy a convertible last year though and get endless slagging over it by my mates.

That's cos you're too young for a convertible. You have to be a 55 year old man with dyed chestnut brown hair and a few years off early retirement

Advertisement