Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Drivers trying to escape the bus lane when they see a garda ahead. Let them in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Why aren't cameras used ? Seems crazy to me when they could make a fortune off automatically fining them rather than a Garda having to physically be there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    It always amazes me the amount of people who let drivers skip traffic like this. My regular route often has a free bus lane with the regular traffic stuck. There are always a few that use the bus lane. The cops are sometimes there so catch some. When the cops are there and spotted there are all these cars trying to get back in the proper lane.
    Saw some get back into the proper lane. Cycled up to the cop and said I could identify 5 cars that went into the regular traffic. He asked me to point them out. So we walked along together and got them all to pulled over. He simply asked them if they had been in the bus lane and they all just admitted it. They were none to happy with me and one did recognise me a few weeks later and started yelling at me. All on video which I handed in but nothing was done.

What a miserable way to live

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Bus lane cameras would fix it handy enough. Like having a gard there the whole time the bus lane is in operation

Edit. Too slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,348 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Bob Harris wrote: »
    It always amazes me the amount of people who let drivers skip traffic like this. My regular route often has a free bus lane with the regular traffic stuck. There are always a few that use the bus lane. The cops are sometimes there so catch some. When the cops are there and spotted there are all these cars trying to get back in the proper lane.
    Saw some get back into the proper lane. Cycled up to the cop and said I could identify 5 cars that went into the regular traffic. He asked me to point them out. So we walked along together and got them all to pulled over. He simply asked them if they had been in the bus lane and they all just admitted it. They were none to happy with me and one did recognise me a few weeks later and started yelling at me. All on video which I handed in but nothing was done.

Fúcking hell.....
    I know why the cops didn't go after him for threatening me is a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

What a miserable way to live

https://youtu.be/cIRGV7QoGk8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

oLoonatic wrote: »
    depends on what car they are driving. BMW, Audi or Merc is a no from me.
    Anything with a Northern reg stick them to the footpath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I know why the cops didn't go after him for threatening me is a disgrace.
    :D:D:D

Sheldon is that you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Let them in. I'm neither a traffic cop or a snitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Never. Nothing like the look of fear on their faces and the constant pointing and pleading for the bit of leeway.
    Them's the rules in this game of chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Charlie19 wrote: »

I was thinking about the very same video when I read Ray Palmers post.

A absolutely miserable way to live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Fookers do that to the hard shoulder on the M50 whenever it gets too busy as well. I hate them so very very much. The last time I saw it happen the slow traffic was because of a car on fire and the fire truck couldn't reach it because these assholes had blocked the hard shoulder.
    They should have their car taken off them straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

NuMarvel wrote: »

On a related matter (and not aimed at the OP), you would be surprised at the amount of drivers who don't realise most bus lanes have set hours of operations. Not that I'm complaining much. Makes my journeys much faster when everyone stays out of the non-operational bus lane :D

Part of that is because signage is random, too small to see details as you are driving and non existent in some cases. Ordinary law abiding drivers don’t use the bus lane in case it’s illegal and don’t want a fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I was thinking about the very same video when I read Ray Palmers post.

A absolutely miserable way to live.

It brings you about to wonder what happened to these people down through the years that would let little things like this irritate them so badly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Let them in? Nope. Same as not flashing when I see a speed van.

Am I a prîck? Yes, but not for those reasons :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,921 ✭✭✭pgj2015

yer man on the bike in that video should have just stayed in her way. let her move. don't say a word to her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Giveaway

MarkR wrote: »
    Coming over a solid continuous white line? That's a paddling. And a no. And if they crash into you, there's a police car nearby. Win win.
    My neck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Nah. Theyre not supposed to be doing it, if there happened to be some free space I might reverse to let them squeeze in, but I couldnt care less if they get caught either

Its just a ticket anyway, not the end of the world

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

daheff wrote: »
    Part of that is because signage is random, too small to see details as you are driving and non existent in some cases. Ordinary law abiding drivers don’t use the bus lane in case it’s illegal and don’t want a fine.

The signage is never random or too small on any bus lane I've ever seen. Also, using it when not in operation IS law abiding. Drivers acting like lemmings and incapable of using their eyes would bother me more.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

They are breaking the rules of the road, one is not obliged to be complicit in their crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

daheff wrote: »

In my experience, most of the signage is fine. Some could stand to be improved, but for the most part it's fine. If a lane doesn't have a sign, I'll err on the side of caution and assume it's a 24 hour bus lane, because I definitely don't want a fine.

And I'm happy to confirm that I am an ordinary law abiding driver. Ask any driver behind me when the lights turn amber :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Let them in. I'm neither a traffic cop or a snitch.

Nope. You may as well let people push in front of you at the bank or while your waiting to be served at a bar or let them in front of you in the supermarket.
    Fcuk them...the bus lane is for buses not for some prick who thinks the rules of the road don't apply to him/her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

RobertKK wrote: »
    They are breaking the rules of the road, one is not obliged to be complicit in their crime.

The rules of the road are not law. The Road Traffic Acts are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭TheChizler

prinzeugen wrote: »
    The rules of the road are not law. The Road Traffic Acts are.
    In this case they are completely backed up by law.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I'm not going to cause any accidents but I'm not going to go out of my way to facilitate any driver trying to escape the bus lane

• Registered Users Posts: 14,683 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

(Set the scene.. classical music playing in the car...)

I like to wind down my window and say "there is a que sir/madam...And you don't appear to be in it.... Mwah haw haw!"

Wind up the window and trudge along bumper to bumper.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Ah jaysus - that's being a right pr#ck now lol

TheChizler wrote: »
    In this case they are completely backed up by law.

They are breaking the Road Traffic Act. You cannot be done for breaking the rules of the road.

The ROTR is part advisory part simple road traffic laws. Not everything in it is law.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭TheChizler

prinzeugen wrote: »
    They are breaking the Road Traffic Act. You cannot be done for breaking the rules of the road.

The ROTR is part advisory part simple road traffic laws. Not everything in it is law.
    I do normally love a bit of pedantry, but we all know what they meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Hell no.

Driving in a bus lane is €40 and no points. I have done and so have most people. But don't expect traffic to part like the red sea to let you away with it.

Close the gap, apply the horn. For several seconds.

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »
    I do normally love a bit of pedantry, but we all know what they meant.

No they meant the ROTR. Some people (especially cyclists) think this is the law. Its not.

Its just a book.

You just have to laugh at some of the crap on twitter. Yes cars should not be in bus lanes but cyclists should not be trying to go between the kerb and a bus that is pulling into a stop.

That is illegal under the RTA although the ROTR says different.

Advertisement