Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do you think nurses will get their payrise?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

Damien360 wrote: »
    Brexit will suck up all money. If it goes tits up, prices will rise and people will need help. If the nurses get their money, it is just the tip of the iceberg, as a queue will already be forming for their slice of pie. The new hospital will be knocked on the head and you can imagine the **** storm if staff got paid and the capital plan gets shelved.
    Hospital should be shelved now, clearly something massive gone wrong there, price today was 1.7 billion.

If nurses had came out with a strike because of trolley waiting/unsafe/ had enough, it would have been good but, "we want more money" would they ever feck off. We've all been in with someone sick and see how handy they have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

For anyone interested Thejournal just did a fact check on nurses wages: Factcheck: Are Irish nurses among the highest paid in the world? https://jrnl.ie/4463814

VERDICT
    It is clear that the data available for nurses’ salaries contains so many variables that it is difficult to accurately compare them.

Some countries include a large cohort of non-professional and therefore lower paid workers in their numbers. Much of the data does not – and probably could never – take in the different overtime rate systems and specific allowances that exist in each of the healthcare systems.

And it is important to point out that the OECD data on nurses’ remuneration, which is frequently used as an indication of where Irish nurses fall on the scale, is not (by the OECD’s own admission) a reliable source.

We rate this claim: UNPROVEN

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

vargoo wrote: »
    Hospital should be shelved now, clearly something massive gone wrong there, price today was 1.7 billion.

If nurses had came out with a strike because of trolley waiting/unsafe/ had enough, it would have been good but, "we want more money" would they ever feck off. We've all been in with someone sick and see how handy they have it.

I've been in as a patient and I didn't see "how handy they have it"...what I did see was how hard they work, how professional they are and some of the sh1te they have to put up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

magentis wrote: »
    Love these threads.I can just picture some of the posters here left in a situation where they have to clean up someone that has defecated themselves. "

Mothers do this all the time without pay and carers do it all the time with little financial reward. Time was nursing was about more than higher pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

yeah, i have a family member who is a psych nurse who just returned to work after having been off sick because a patient assaulted her, swinging punches at her head due to the patient being given a regular soft drink by the hospital staff instead of a diet one.

such a handy number like. all you need to do to get time off is allow a lunatic to bate the head off ya. we should all be signing up for this craic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

yeah, i have a family member who is a psych nurse who just returned to work after having been off sick because a patient assaulted her, swinging punches at her head due to the patient being given a regular soft drink by the hospital staff instead of a diet one.

such a handy number like. all you need to do to get time off is allow a lunatic to bate the head off ya. we should all be signing up for this craic.

Give her lots of money! She is now suddenly better at her job and deserves more money!

bubblypop wrote: »
    So you work 24/7 , 365 days a year?
    You probably get bonuses every year?

In my old trust in Manchester, we did run a 24/7 pharmacy service. So a pharmacist was on site all the time. I could have to deal with anything from emergency TPN for newly born on NICU to making chemo for one of leukaemia patients. What are you talking about? Bonuses, there are no bonuses in the HSE/NHS.

Also what nurse works 365 days a year?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I've been a patient, been in with patients and spent 5.5 years working in hospitals most of the time on wards and can tell you Nurses absolutely do not have it handy, far from it. People who've spent 30 minutes here and there observing a nurse and all of a sudden they know for a fact that nurses 'have it handy. There are so many different nursing roles out there too that don't all run to working solely on a ward.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Solidarity with all the nurses and midwives today. Be sure to give an auld beep of support if you’re driving past!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,055 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

In my old trust in Manchester, we did run a 24/7 pharmacy service. So a pharmacist was on site all the time. I could have to deal with anything from emergency TPN for newly born on NICU to making chemo for one of leukaemia patients. What are you talking about? Bonuses, there are no bonuses in the HSE/NHS.

Also what nurse works 365 days a year?

Doesn't matter if you work hard when you only have to do it for 38hrs/wk, There's 168hrs in a week, not exactly strangled are they.........is it four or six weeks off they get as well.
    Plenty work a lot harder and a lot more hours for a lot less

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Samuel Vimes

Graces7 wrote: »
    magentis wrote: »
    Love these threads.[B]I can just picture some of the posters here left in a situation where they have to clean up someone that has defecated themselves. "

Mothers do this all the time without pay and carers do it all the time with little financial reward. Time was nursing was about more than higher pay.

And Nurses dont do it at all, Health Care Assistants do-the real underpaid unsung heroes of the Hospitals!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

wrangler wrote: »
    Doesn't matter if you work hard when you only have to do it for 38hrs/wk, There's 168hrs in a week, not exactly strangled are they.........is it four or six weeks off they get as well.
    Plenty work a lot harder and a lot more hours for a lot less

Very, very few people have to put up with what a nurse does during a shift and guaranteed half of the people here dismissing the job’s difficulty wouldn’t last a day at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Sounds like they were looking for a few days off

They gave the patient the wrong drink ? there's a lot missing out of that story

We've all seen what they're like :

Nn0KxDB.jpg

Of course the nurses will win. I saw someone on The Journal describe them as "angels on Earth". I honestly don't know why the nurses ever accept any pay demands for longer than a few years - the public will never think they are earning enough, so makes sense to keep demanding more. The level of support - where people readily admit being happy to pay higher taxes for them - is staggering.

gctest50 wrote: »

Nn0KxDB.jpg

The person who gave the wrong drink was obviously an overpaid TD!

FTA69 wrote: »
    Very, very few people have to put up with what a nurse does during a shift and guaranteed half of the people here dismissing the job’s difficulty wouldn’t last a day at it.

And plenty of nurses wouldn't work on a building site this morning and have to travel to a site wherever that might be this week. Everyone works hard, especially if they're getting €40000/yr.
    The sad thing is that nurses will get arise because they're dealing with public servants that know that the repercussions of this will include them getting a rise too

• Registered Users Posts: 44,994 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

gctest50 wrote: »

Nn0KxDB.jpg

My wife was punched in the back, causing serious injury, just because the kid was frustrated that day.

You talk like rationality can be ascribed to a psyche patient during an episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

My wife was punched in the back, causing serious injury, just because the kid was frustrated that day.

Again - there is a bit missing out of your story

What were the events leading up to that ?

Why didn't she "see it coming" and in good time

You talk like rationality can be ascribed to a psyche patient during an episode.

hurr durr, that's why they are in a psyche ward

Once we give your wife more money, this won't happen again? Or it'll be fine, because she has more money?

Not sure how we fix people getting punched.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Country can’t afford this- simple as. Couldn’t be worse timing really with such uncertainty in the economy right now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

doolox wrote: »
    Nurses direct health care and deal with medications etc. Unless there is a medical reason to do so they do not clean up patients in their care. They are more like junior management.

I am 10 years dealing with nursing home people on a daily basis in a non medical role and this is what I see. Nurses deal with paperwork and patient care in an indirect way. Health care assistants do the physical lifting carrying and cleaning and catering assistants feed the patients. There are separate staff for laundry and cleaning and separate staff for activities and dealing with payments and financial matters with relatives.

There is not the same level of intimacy with care of people that there used to be. Nurses now only deal with very sick people if they deal with any clients at all. Once they are on routine medical regime the bulk of the work and minding is done by health care assistants.

Are you seriously comparing nursing home care with the care delivered in an acute hospital????

Nursing is an incredibly broad role. A nurse in a hospital could be working in anything from ICU/CCU/HDU to a day hospital or long term care, nursing home type of ward.
    A nurse working in ICU/CCU/HDU is constantly on the alert working with, caring for and monitoring patients. They are giving them medication. Washing them. Toileting them.

Nurses on other hospital wards also do the washing, toileting, changing the beds and cleaning bedside. These are absolutely not tasks that are done solely by Health Care Assistants. There are simply not enough HCAs to cover this work. Hospitals could absolutely do with hiring more HCAs, the starting salary of a HCA is not far off what a nurse starts on - which is ridiculous.

An endoscopy nurse will prep patients for endoscopy and then monitor and care for patients after their scope, they will also be delivering results of the scope to patients. Less heavy or stressful work on the whole than inpatient work but still a skilled role when it comes to the monitoring and care of patients who are coming around from sedation.

A neo-natal ICU nurse will spend their entire day keeping incredibly ill babies alive and giving them a chance at life. Dunno about anyone here but if someone dedicated their working time to keeping a baby I had that was born at 28 weeks or with a serious illness alive I'd be forever grateful to the skills that person has that allowed them to do that.

Nursing is a highly skilled job, right from the bottom up. Just because jobs x, y, z are hard and skilled too doesn't take away from what other people deserve for the work they do. It's a ridiculous argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

road_high wrote: »
    Country can’t afford this- simple as. Couldn’t be worse timing really with such uncertainty in the economy right now

If the TD’s can give themselves a handsome pay rise. I see no reason why nurses shouldn’t get a well deserved rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

road_high wrote:

Thankfully project 'asset price inflation' will resolve our ever rising costs of living, and the wealth created will trickle down, shur who needs wage inflation anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Once we give your wife more money, this won't happen again? Or it'll be fine, because she has more money?

Not sure how we fix people getting punched.

Whenever my gf gets assaulted in work it's because she's the only person on the ward. Hospitals are understaffed.

She's had to lock herself in the bathroom a few times and phone for help.

mad muffin wrote: »
    If the TD’s can give themselves a handsome pay rise. I see no reason why nurses shouldn’t get a well deserved rise.

158 TDs
    55,000 nurses

Yeah, it's pretty much the exact same cost to the taxpayer.

Whenever my gf gets assaulted in work it's because she's the only person on the ward. Hospitals are understaffed.

She's had to lock herself in the bathroom a few times and phone for help.

Then let's hire more staff and keep salaries as they were agreed.

Yeah, it's pretty much the exact same cost to the taxpayer.

Which profession is actually more beneficial to society?

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Thankfully project 'asset price inflation' will resolve our ever rising costs of living, and the wealth created will trickle down, shur who needs wage inflation anyway!

HSE are no help to controlling the rising costs of living, billion too much paid for a hospital, like WTF

wrangler wrote:
    HSE are no help to controlling the rising costs of living, billion too much paid for a hospital, like WTF

I suspect the overrun costs of the hospital is far deeper than the hse, the final cost is gonna be staggering

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Which profession is actually more beneficial to society?

I don't care.

Advertisement