Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Strokestown **Mod Note in Post #4461**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Are we back on the pensioners fallacy again :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Talk about been paranoid.

Worries me people like you have a vote in this country.

People who object to random, unaccountable thugs physically assaulting citizens, in service of an economic sector which bankrupted the entire country and forced all of us to pay for its bullsh!t?

I think you'll find a lot of people who you'd be worried about voting, if that's your criteria for people who shouldn't vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

riemann wrote: »
    Whereas people like you know it all

No I don’t so I don’t come out with outlandish conspiracies.

Spreading lies and misinformation is dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

klaaaz wrote: »
    Hired loyalist goons are now allowed a free hand to beat pensioners out of their homes

There's at least two or three lies in that sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,505 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Talk about been paranoid.

Worries me people like you have a vote in this country.
    What are you on about? Have you not realised that the Irish media are attempting to tell you how to think these days? They read the news and then have somebody on to talk about the version of the matter that they want you to side with.

The reporting on two incidents in Roscommon over past 10 or so days has been awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭blueythebear

Show us where RTE said there was a court order? There is nothing about it on their website

Video in the link

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/1216/1017458-roscommon-attack/

• Registered Users Posts: 37,505 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

gandalf wrote: »
    Are we back on the pensioners fallacy again :rolleyes:
    Are we back with the 'oh it's pensioners again' rolly eyes ****?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,878 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The Indo only puts forward the FFG version of events, they and RTE were forced to report what happened a long time after the event as it was all over social media over the weekend, one video of the eviction amassed 500k views.

Hired loyalist goons are now allowed a free hand to beat pensioners out of their homes, no wonder a large number of locals got upset and raced to the pensioners aid, but apparently the ordinary locals are now "dissidents" according to "sources" in the Indo and RTE! :rolleyes:

How do you end up owing 400k to the Revenue on a state pension???
    Would it have been ok to beat them if they had been on jobseekers allowance?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

People who object to random, unaccountable thugs physically assaulting citizens, in service of an economic sector which bankrupted the entire country and forced all of us to pay for its bullsh!t?

I think you'll find a lot of people who you'd be worried about voting, if that's your criteria for people who shouldn't vote.

As I said spreading lies and misinformation about the government telling the media what to say is just pure fantasy stuff.

Let’s stick to the facts here or is that too much to ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

rn wrote: »
    Not another state company that'll provide a service... At the cost of 4 times the private sector!

This is one incident. Don't change the system over one case.

it wouldn't be a company. it would be effectively a version of the gardai designed to deal with matters of civil law. not just evictions. supposibly being 4 times the cost of the private sector (which is nonsense in reality) is irrelevant. the private sector have no place in law enforcement.
    this is 1 of many cases. lets absolutely change the system because of these cases, because otherwise we are going to possibly end up with someone seriously injured or worse by the hired goons.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Spreading lies and misinformation is dangerous.

It's just become fact among a lot of people which is worrying.

All the security personnel are loyalist paramilitary thugs.
    All the people in the house are basically frail OAPs.

It would actually be funny if it weren't so serious. Waterford Whispers headlines will write themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Given the violence evident in the video of the original eviction (including against a retired Garda), can we all at least agree on three points:

1: The lack of media coverage of the original incident raises serious questions about how fully the media is informing the Irish people of what is going on in their country;

2: The lack of political reaction to that original violence, contrasted with the massive reaction to the retaliation, and;

3: The lack of Garda intervention during the assaults evident in the eviction video, contrasted with their intention to vigorously investigate the retaliation,

all point to a very serious question about our state's establishment and who it actually serves as its primary "clients"? Its citizenry or its business class?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

odyssey06 wrote: »

Yep, the scumbag attempted to defraud compliant taxpayers like me by underdeclaring VAT by hundreds of thousands of euro.

Hope he's evicted again pronto. And permanently this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Ginger83

it wouldn't be a company. it would be effectively a version of the gardai designed to deal with matters of civil law. not just evictions. supposibly being 4 times the cost of the private sector (which is nonsense in reality) is irrelevant. the private sector have no place in law enforcement.
    this is 1 of many cases. lets absolutely change the system because of these cases, because otherwise we are going to possibly end up with someone seriously injured or worse by the hired goons.

3 were already injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Those innocent "security" men are now out of a job, and it just coming up to Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

Just to be clear, as a unionist from the north, but also a centrist democrat who believes above all in democracy is it only security work we who identity as British will be banned from in the United Ireland utopia or will other sectors be off limits? Granted I am only on page 25 of this thread and things may change by the time I have read it through to catch up with this post I make now but at this point people have called the bailiffs loyalist UVF members who should be sliced up and/or hanged simply because one identified as British?? Even if it has come out by page 125 off this thread they were actually all former members of the shankill butcher's the fact that so many bigots could assume so much and express so much hate from the limited information that one said he was British does not fill me with hope for what would happen to my community in the event of a United Ireland. No doubt a look in the mirror for a bit of self reflection could help some of you who see anyone who identifies as British as somthing that must swing by the neck for seeking employment enforcing Irish law. I just hope no Irish men working in the same sector in the UK suffer the same treatment.

Waah waah waah.

Since you made a parallel, let me make a more exact one -

Irish men working in the same sector in the UK, as henchmen for a boss with republican paramilitary background

- one needn't be Norman Tebbit to see how odious that would be to self-respecting British people.

If the knucklehead on the video had any brains, he would have said nothing.

But the thug element of Unionist siege mentality follows itself everywhere.

Omackeral wrote: »
    It's just become fact among a lot of people which is worrying.

All the security personnel are loyalist paramilitary thugs.
    All the people in the house are basically frail OAPs.

It would actually be funny if it weren't so serious. Waterford Whispers headlines will write themselves.

You forgot the part where they took down the tricolour and raised a union jack...

There are some serious issues here but no one will take it seriously with this frail pensioners v goons painted in black and white!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Just to be clear, as a unionist from the north, but also a centrist democrat who believes above all in democracy is it only security work we who identity as British will be banned from in the United Ireland utopia or will other sectors be off limits? Granted I am only on page 25 of this thread and things may change by the time I have read it through to catch up with this post I make now but at this point people have called the bailiffs loyalist UVF members who should be sliced up and/or hanged simply because one identified as British?? Even if it has come out by page 125 off this thread they were actually all former members of the shankill butcher's the fact that so many bigots could assume so much and express so much hate from the limited information that one said he was British does not fill me with hope for what would happen to my community in the event of a United Ireland. No doubt a look in the mirror for a bit of self reflection could help some of you who see anyone who identifies as British as somthing that must swing by the neck for seeking employment enforcing Irish law. I just hope no Irish men working in the same sector in the UK suffer the same treatment.

for me, i don't care that these people were british/irish/whatever they identify as . i do care that they were violent and trying to deliberately stoke tensions. i also care about private security companies, regardless of nationality, being involved in the enforcement of law. it should be direct state agents. over all, loyalists/unionists have nothing to fear in a UI when it happens.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Who said anything about anyone being on a state pension?
    He owed €177,000 in unpaid tax. A lot of which seems to have been vat that he charged people, which he then kept and didn't pay to revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

That RTE reporter Ciaran has misinformed the public in that video, he did not produce any evidence of a court order, it's hearsay on his part. Again, another reason not to trust the state broadcaster. I'd hazard that the pensioners solicitor will have RTE in an actual court on this matter. No other news outlet including RTE themselves has written that there was an actual court order, just that RTE goon spouting rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

You forgot the part where they took down the tricolour and raised a union jack...

Pictures or it didn't happen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

eagle eye wrote: »
    What are you on about? Have you not realised that the Irish media are attempting to tell you how to think these days? They read the news and then have somebody on to talk about the version of the matter that they want you to side with.

The reporting on two incidents in Roscommon over past 10 or so days has been awful.
    We are been fed the Establishments take on events . How they want stuff spun .
    How you should think and what you should think and how you should respond :eek:

The Week and a Half of the Rise of Peter Casey was the “ The Emperor has no Clothes Moment “

The Political establishment and their Media lost their $hit so much over that week and a half and the aftermath that they were exposed as Bollok Naked .

The Electorate roared “ He’s got No Clothes “

Our Rose Tinted Glasses Shattered and we realised we had been led along like unthinking Sheep for a very very long time .

A Seminal moment in modern Irish History ! Thank the Genius that made the internet as well .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Well whatever your views on the incident it's fair to say RTE didn't exactly cover all sides of the story on the 9 o'clock news just there

Given the violence evident in the video of the original eviction (including against a retired Garda), can we all at least agree on three points:

1: The lack of media coverage of the original incident raises serious questions about how fully the media is informing the Irish people of what is going on in their country;

2: The lack of political reaction to that original violence, contrasted with the massive reaction to the retaliation, and;

3: The lack of Garda intervention during the assaults evident in the eviction video, contrasted with their intention to vigorously investigate the retaliation,

all point to a very serious question about our state's establishment and who it actually serves as its primary "clients"? Its citizenry or its business class?

Did you see the same video as I did ? The security guys did put hands on several people, none of whom look elderly, but they used force to remove them. Nowhere do i see punches flying (to be fair, by either side).

Yes, there is one guy on the ground but it's not surprising that someone will fall over when trying to move a grown man on uneven terrain. I don't know how the guy with the bloody nose got the bloody nose but there is also a security clearly with a bloody nose too.

They are executing an order for possession, granted by the High Court and the guys that were in the house, had come down to resist the eviction. The chap said as much in the interview in the car when he said that they came down when they heard an eviction may take place that morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

for me, i don't care that these people were british/irish/whatever they identify as . i do care that they were violent and trying to deliberately stoke tensions. i also care about private security companies, regardless of nationality, being involved in the enforcement of law. it should be direct state agents. over all, loyalists/unionists have nothing to fear in a UI when it happens.

Unionists don't ... Loyalists better learn to swim

Effects wrote: »
    Who said anything about anyone being on a state pension?
    He owed €177,000 in unpaid tax. A lot of which seems to have been vat that he charged people, which he then kept and didn't pay to revenue.

Who said they were pensioners???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,675 ✭✭✭buried

P_1 wrote: »
    Well whatever your views on the incident it's fair to say RTE didn't exactly cover all sides of the story on the 9 o'clock news just there

Sounded more like a news report about a dead dog.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

That RTE reporter Ciaran has misinformed the public in that video, he did not produce any evidence of a court order, it's hearsay on his part. Again, another reason not to trust the state broadcaster. I'd hazard that the pensioners solicitor will have RTE in an actual court on this matter. No other news outlet including RTE themselves has written that there was an actual court order, just that RTE goon spouting rubbish.

He's not under any obligation to produce such evidence.That's some serious paranoia.

That is ridiculous. RTE did not produce evidence of a court order ? THey don't have to. You;re making stuff up now. You do not know that there was not a court order. I say it is more than likely that there was one, given the reporting on the matter and the fact that the Gardai were present and did not intervene.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Can anyone find the case here? I can find other cases involving KBC but not this one

http://www.courts.ie/courts.ie/library3.nsf/pagecurrent/04AA6AC36D48E36C8025804B0059B994?opendocument&l=en&p=052

Perhaps I am searching incorrectly, can anyone help find record of the case?

Advertisement