Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do people still play cards anymore?

Options
  • 02-03-2017 11:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭

Are card games still popular and do people still meet up to play?
    I remember a groups of us getting together for games of poker (5 card draw) pontoon and 25's and losing track of time as games went on for hours (for those who didn't get cleaned out). I remember scraping coppers together to have a few pence to bet with and always thinking that today would be the day.

Comments

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

It's still pretty common in my home place (the sticks). Local pub, every Sunday night. Parish priest would preach about humility on Sunday morning, fleece you in a game of 25 that evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

mike_ie wrote: »
    It's still pretty common in my home place (the sticks). Local pub, every Sunday night. Parish priest would preach about humility on Sunday morning, fleece you in a game of 25 that evening.

We play it a lot when visiting my in-laws (25) but here at home the smoking ban really killed it off in the local pubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

I miss those mini-tournaments in a mates house. Betting with small change. You would be delighted if you went home £5 in profit despite having spent double that on cans and pizza.

None of my crowd do that anymore but I did see a poker club meet up in our local pub. They were properly organised with chips etc. About 20 players and same number of onlookers. All drinking minerals - so they must have been serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Yeah every now and then I go through phases of playing cards. Not in the pub or for money, just for the buzz. I like playing Sh1thead and Begger my neighbour :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I have a few card games I play with my 3 year old, he's already a bit of a shark

I also have a monthly poker and whiskey night with a few colleagues after work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

25 is the game of choice, it's rare we get a night that suits all the gang, but when we do, it's some laugh.

Can't beat it. **** food, few beers and 25.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

I like playing the games themselves, but the whole gambling atmosphere around it puts me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

We play it a lot when visiting my in-laws (25) but here at home the smoking ban really killed it off in the local pubs.

The smoking ban killed card games? I worked in 2 pubs at the time of the ban, one in a small town and the other in a village. The smoking ban had no effect on business what so ever, the pubs were still jam packed.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭DaraDali

Play 110 every week now :) Every pub I used to go too would have a card game, sadly nowadays people just don't know how to play.

If you have never played 110, Its like 45 but you get to choose the suit of the cards, mad laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

We play this a lot, and it has the advantage that virtually everyone we know already knows how to play it. It's pretty much the only card game I know how to play.... other than snap.

Mostly played with a few pints.

edit: Had to change the link as boards blocked it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I play card games online. Mastered Flower Garden Solitaire..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I used to play 25 down the pub but it became, bizarrely, quite ostentatious.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

We still play a game of Poker in the Boozer the odd sunday, fiver a head, a game lasts about 40 mins

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I still play some shithead with a few of the lads, and there's usually a good game of Cards Against Humanity once a month, although i don't know if that can classed as a card game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

My new year's resolution was to play a game of poker each week. I'm keeping to it, ty Fitzwilliam card club and d1 club

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

jester77 wrote: »
    I also have a monthly poker and whiskey night with a few colleagues after work

If that was me I'd be forced to change jobs monthly....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

The smoking ban killed card games? I worked in 2 pubs at the time of the ban, one in a small town and the other in a village. The smoking ban had no effect on business what so ever, the pubs were still jam packed.

Yes, in my local it certainly did. There were 10-15 people who could be relied on to play so any given weekend there would usually be enough for a game. One or two would always be smokers and eventually the non smokers didn't bother playing as they were sick of fag breaks, forgotten scores, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Any time there are 3 or more of us at my parents house the cards get pulled out and we play a game called Black Jacks. Its not the 21 black jacks. It has loads of rules and is the best craic.

My dad has made up or used old sayings all the time during games, such as, if the cards run out and need to be reshuffled someone is asked to "box" them. The pile of cards is referred to as the "bun" and if you lose you get "scrabbed" where all the other players playfully scratch you (gently).

So we do Kris Kindle in our house and my youngest son got his grandad and got him a packet of cards with 10 of our family sayings on the back of each card. They are epic. Best. Present. Ever.

Usually a card game would break out on a Sunday night after tea which dad always makes of home chips and salad......aw I miss those days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

There's a group of lads at work who play cards at lunchtime obviously without gambling, looks a bit unusual. Lunch is an hour long so it can get boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Does http://worldofsolitaire.com/ count? Crescent is a good one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

The rise of Poker as a 'spectator sport' would seem to suggest it's still popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

DaraDali wrote: »
    Play 110 every week now :) Every pub I used to go too would have a card game, sadly nowadays people just don't know how to play.

If you have never played 110, Its like 45 but you get to choose the suit of the cards, mad laugh
    110 now that's a blast from the past used to play it nightly for about 10 years!!!

I still play 25 weekly now in the local.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

No one play Dawn anymore ? It was a huge game played by lots back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Our Scout leaders have some vicious games of Sh*thead (a variation of it) whenever we're away on camp and the kids are asleep. Probably my favourite game out there.

Family wise, we still play Black Spot at family gatherings. No wiki page for that, but it's not dissimilar to 25, though in Black Spot you have to guess the number of tricks you are going to get, so you can play to lose hands if that's what's best. Quite compelling.

Oh, wow. You can't even encase "sh*t" in a URL and it'll be modified. Well done, Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

25's, 110, poker, rummy, different kinds of patience are all played in my house. Christmas and long weekends in either parents house's can start a tournament and while I look like a messer, I've been known to fleece a few people ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Pub poker was booming there a few years ago. Used to play myself as a guy ran different nights in different locals where I live.

Waste of money to be honest. But I don't know how he got away with it. He had big banners outside the pubs advertising them. You know yourself there is no such thing as a 'license' to run pub poker.

I stopped playing in 2011. I later heard that by 2013 the guy running them was working in another country and left with all the 'big tournament' fund too. What do you expect like.

Actually as I wrote the above I paused for a few minutes and looked back. Was madness alright as I was playing a couple of nights a week in them. Absolute waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭tomofson

The gender card and the race card are the common cards played these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

He means it killed the custom of men holding card games on a regular basis, not the pub's overall business.

Old fellas like to chain smoke during card sessions. If you can't smoke you may as well not play the bloody game at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 43 weekday

AAAKK

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

No one play Dawn anymore ? It was a huge game played by lots back in the day.

Does that require more than two players?

My parents use to play Dawn together but I think they changed the rules up a bit so they could play with only two. I use to keep the score. I never knew how to play it though, just use to sit and watch them
    It was funny because they use to wind each other up :)

Advertisement