Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How much of Ireland have you seen?

Options
  • 06-03-2015 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭

I was having a conversation with some people in work today. One of them is Polish and he was telling us about all the counties in Ireland he has visited. He has seen a lot more of the country than the rest of us. Maybe the Irish are not as bothered with seeing their own country, but it made me realise how little of Ireland I've actually visited. I've been meaning to plan a trip up the north for a while now, in particular Antrim and the Giants Causeway but I never seem to get round to it. Whenever I get my holidays in work I usually go abroad but I'm gonna try and see more of the country this year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

All the counties in the republic, and a couple of the Nordie ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,408 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Been around a good part of it and truthfully east of the Shannon it's much of a muchness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I've been a few places, but there's a unusually shaped lake about half a mile from my house that I haven't visited, never had any cause to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

I was having a conversation with some people in work today. One of them is Polish and he was telling us about all the counties in Ireland he has visited. He has seen a lot more of the country than the rest of us. Maybe the Irish are not as bothered with seeing their own country, but it made me realise how little of Ireland I've actually visited. I've been meaning to plan a trip up the north for a while now, in particular Antrim and the Giants Causeway but I never seem to get round to it. Whenever I get my holidays in work I usually go abroad but I'm gonna try and see more of the country this year.

About two years ago me and the gf were trying to decide where to go on holidays and after going through a few places we realised there were loads of parts of Ireland we hadn't been to.
    Anyway, we abandoned the idea of a foreign holiday and decided to take a chance. We spent four weeks basically just driving round the coast from Donegal right back round to Donegal. Camping, B&Bs, hostels, whatever. Just going wherever took our fancy and not really planning anything.
    It was the best holiday I've ever been on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

I've been to many places-

but I've never been to me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

enough to want to leave and not come back

• Registered Users Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I've never spent a night in monaghan, fermanagh, tyrone, sligo, Leitrim or carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Copa Mundial

I've been in every county, even if only passing through. I can understand why people would want to leave it, but can't agree. Such a beautiful place when the sun's shining :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I've never spent a night in monaghan, fermanagh, tyrone, sligo, Leitrim or carlow.

Lucky b*stard...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

I've been in every county, even if only passing through. I can understand why people would want to leave it, but can't agree. Such a beautiful place when the sun's shining :)

i agree that one time in 1987 when the sun shone god, limerick was lovely THAT day:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Been to all 32 in Ireland, most of England and some of both Scotland and Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

Never been in Waterford or wexford. Been everywhere else. I'll tick them off the box this summer. The best thing about Carlow was the road out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

About two years ago me and the gf were trying to decide where to go on holidays and after going through a few places we realised there were loads of parts of Ireland we hadn't been to.
    Anyway, we abandoned the idea of a foreign holiday and decided to take a chance. We spent four weeks basically just driving round the coast from Donegal right back round to Donegal. Camping, B&Bs, hostels, whatever. Just going wherever took our fancy and not really planning anything.
    It was the best holiday I've ever been on.

A road trip is a nice idea. I'll probably get the train up the north though. Go to Belfast first and then onto Antrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Most counties in the south, probably not Cavan or Monaghan. First time in Belfast and the north-east in general last summer. Belfast was odd. Like being in a British city despite the fact I never got on a plane or ferry. Think it's all the union flags!

*would be grateful if people would try not to be tedious by pointing out Belfast is in the UK. Cheerio!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Copa Mundial

A road trip is a nice idea. I'll probably get the train up the north though. Go to Belfast first and then onto Antrim.

Get Malin head while you're up there, the Inishowen peninsula is one incredible spot :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I've stayed every county except Derry, for some reason .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

Everywhere except the far North and Donegal. I badly want to see Donegal. Ireland's beautiful, you only appreciate that when you're somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Live in Monaghan and OH is from Cavan so those two are covered. Been to Dublin, stayed in Sligo after we had our dog put to sleep, was in Tipperary with himself for an interview and stopped in Laois on the way, went to college in Louth and Westmeath, went clubbing a few times in Kildare and Meath when I was younger, visited Belfast a few times as well as a day trip to Donegal. Never been to Galway, Waterford, Wexford, Mayo, or Cork for sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭dogcat

I have been in 19 counties, if my memory is correct!

Munster : Limerick, Clare, Tipperary, Waterford, Kerry, Cork
    Leinster : Wexford, Wicklow, Kilkenny, Dublin, Carlow, Kildare, Offaly, Laois, Westmeath
    Connacht : Galway, (less than 500m from Roscommon)
    Ulster : Down, Antrim, Donegal

I have been in lots more counties by passing through on public transport though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Wexford is the only county north and south that I have not been in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

Wexford is the only county north and south that I have not been in

Sluh.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Barely any of it unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Every county. Shure the place is tiny!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

All 32 counties visited.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Have been in every county bar Waterford. Not avoiding it on purpose, I've just never had cause to go there. Sure I'll stick it on the bucket list I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

everywhere except you-know-where > the north, just been twice to belfast only

even with the troubles long over i just don't feel comfortable up there

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Been to/lived in:

Dublin
    Meath
    Louth
    Wicklow
    Kildare
    Wexford
    Carlow
    Longford
    Westmeath
    Offaly
    Longford

Mayo
    Galway
    Sligo
    Roscommon
    Leitrim

Cork
    Tipp

Donegal
    Fermanagh
    Down
    Antrim
    Armagh
    Cavan
    Monaghan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Ive been in every county bar Sligo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

Very little to be honest. You can visit a county, but only a small part of it. It takes time to "know" a county as a whole, or any location for that matter.

Advertisement