Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GAA people = Cavemen?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Why are some GAA people so blind to reality and stupid?

The typical higher up in a GAA club is a devoted Catholic, acts like every other sport other than Hurling and Football doesn't exist and if someone plays other sports and doesn't play a GAA sport then that sport is for "People who are no good at GAA". In my experience they refer to Rugby and especially Soccer as "The Queen's game" and seem to still be very butthurt over the whose Bloody Sunday event. They have also scheduled GAA training with Soccer training to make people sweat.

I might let it be known that I play both Soccer and Gaelic games and enjoy both thoroughly and I probably spend more time watching GAA matches than Soccer, but in my experience the GAA higher ups are very medieval while the Soccer lads have always been very down to earth. I'm just stating my opinions so if you have any opinions or if you question anything I've said, please feel free to comment.
    Maybe you have been unfortunate in the ones you have happened to meet.

But in my - and I must say long and broad experience of GAA people - you are totally misrepresenting them. There are as many - if not more - rows in GAA clubs over clashes between Hurling and Football than there are over clashes with Soccer. Ask any GAA county or club player who his favourite Premier league team is and you will get a quick passionate answer - and it won't be "I don't watch that foreign game" it will be Arsenal or Man U or whatever, or maybe a "I only support Celtic"
    Of course there will always be prats and bigots in any large group - but they are a tiny minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,545 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Not cavepeople.

They do a lot of good work at local level and are a great outlet not just for sport but for social life.

I don't like how they hoover up so much funding, but that's just because I think other sports need it more - hardly the GAA's fault for looking for funding.

The main problem I have with them is that some seem to see GAA and themselves, as some kind of keepers of the cultural flame in the face of foreign invasion. That's a load of bollox and when it manifests itself as making a kid choose between one sport or another, or otherwise disrupting other sports clubs' activities (such as ploughing up a pitch to stop soccer teams from using it) it's a disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

wow sierra wrote: »
    Maybe you have been unfortunate in the ones you have happened to meet.

But in my - and I must say long and broad experience of GAA people - you are totally misrepresenting them. There are as many - if not more - rows in GAA clubs over clashes between Hurling and Football than there are over clashes with Soccer. Ask any GAA county or club player who his favourite Premier league team is and you will get a quick passionate answer - and it won't be "I don't watch that foreign game" it will be Arsenal or Man U or whatever, or maybe a "I only support Celtic"
    Of course there will always be prats and bigots in any large group - but they are a tiny minority.

We had a football clash too, that's why I moved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    How exactly did the non profit making organisation get greedy?
    Shamrock Rovers vs Thomas Davis. I hate Rovers, but what the GAA did to them was an absolute disgrace. And it wasn't "just" TD, they were backed by the Dublin County Board and Central Council.

Direct quote from a TD official - "we won't rest until they are dead and buried" - referring to the court case against Rovers.

That is sickening bigotry, backed at county and national level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

A normal non-bitter parent would be happy to have their child be interested in some form of sport and especially so for a team sport, no?

A parent purposefully dissuading a child from being interested in a particular sport because of his/her own prejudices is pathetic imo.

• Advertisement

My child will be interested in many and varied sports, hopefully gah won't be one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

As a fan of a number of sports, most of the major organisation have weaknesses. There are a million and one faults in the GAA but ultimately it serves a very important role in communities throughout the country. Lads coming back to play games or train with their clubs is one of the few things that has stopped large parts of rural Ireland from becoming even more decimated than they currently are. The sport is a huge past time for so many people and gives a lot of people with little else something to look forward to. There is a backward element to most clubs in the country and county boards are a joke in a number of counties but ultimately that is reflective of the country (e.g. no matter what Fianna Fáil do they'll still get 15%+ of the vote).

The younger generation in the main are interested in more than one sport and the GAA is evolving, not fast enough but like any major organisation it will always be held in the dark ages by a select few.

Rugby and Soccer have plenty of problems of their own. I love watching soccer but the FAI is the biggest joke going and much as I'd love to see a competitive domestic league, the fact is pretty much all the clubs are hanging on by their fingernails. There is no connection between schoolboy / underage and League of Ireland. The schoolboy sides are holding out for compensation for young players from English clubs. Most League of Ireland sides can't afford or have little interest in developing underage teams. That is why soccer will fall even further into the doldrums in this country. Clubs in England have their choice of talent from around the world unlike 20 or so years ago and even the best Irish players are going to get swallowed up. We need a much stronger domestic league if we are to give players a real base from which they can develop their careers without chancing their arm at 14 or 15 only to inevitably come back having been spit out by the system. However, given the incompetence of the FAI and the lack of any co-ordinated structure for the game I'm not hopeful.

Rugby has evolved hugely in this country over the last 15 years or so and as a fan its great to see how popular it has become but I think it would be foolish to think that it is an inclusive sport. There is still an element of snootyness, blazers, hangers on and what school did you play with type attitude in many areas which I believe is stopping the sport reaching its full potential. That is changing but like the GAA not at a fast enough rate in my opinion.

A lot of sports seems determined to have a cut at the other through cheap shots which I find quite sad. Whatever sport people are playing or watching they should be able to enjoy it and leave everyone else whatever sport / activity it is they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

My child will be interested in many and varied sports, hopefully gah won't be one of them.

Why do you keep saying this? Is it supposed to be an insult? Or are you trying to be funny?

Why do you keep saying this? Is it supposed to be an insult? Or are you trying to be funny?

it's what people call it in Dublin - not an insult, not a joke, just a word.

It's just called "the gah", it's not disparaging, it's not meant to be, it's just a word, so stop getting worked up

You shouldn't infect a child with your own neurotic prejudices. Let's hope he/she doesn't disappoint you by becoming a successful GAA sportsman/woman.

That Charlie Hebdo image doesn't suit your Talibanesque attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

conorh91 wrote: »
    How many other team members walked away on that day, and how many stayed?

I assume a majority walked off the pitch with you, did they?

Has the club ever failed to field a team?

Why would other players walk off when it was between me and the manager lol? What do you think it was like, an inspirational American football movie?

And yes, the club has failed to have a full team a few times in the last couple of years as the standard of the club has really taken a hit over the last few years, it was when that started that I started wanting out and the issue with the manager was the boiling point.

Karl Stein wrote: »
    You shouldn't infect a child with your own neurotic prejudices. Let's hope he/she doesn't disappoint you and becomes a successful GAA sportsman/woman.

That Charlie Hebdo image doesn't suit your Talibanesque attitude.

ok.

Thanks for the parenting tips. How many children have you successfully raised?

Taliban, gahliban. All the same. Don't like outsiders and punish those who do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

it's what people call it in Dublin - not an insult, not a joke, just a word.

It's just called "the gah", it's not disparaging, it's not meant to be, it's just a word, so stop getting worked up

Understandable as its an abbreviation in a spoken sense. However it literally takes more effort to write 'gah' as opposed to gaa so why bother?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Why would other players walk off when it was between me and the manager lol?
    Well it suggests your 'issue' was not shared by the members of the team.

like I said, maybe you're more suited to an individual sport.

so why bother?

I type as I talk, seriously, stop getting so worked up about it. It's a word on the internet that people say in real life.

If you are insulted by it, or find offence in it then there's something up.

So? Should everyone have the same opinions or toe a party line?

If it wasn't for people who stood up for what they believed in the "GAA" wouldn't exist.

Cricket Ireland are no weaker than the GAA when it comes to team dicipline.

Of course discipline matters. Of course everyone should be pushing together.

like I said, maybe you're more suited to an individual sport.

My issue was that I personally didn't want to play for the club anymore lmao, why would I expect anyone else on the team to share my 'issue' and instantly join me in leaving while they were at training?

If it wasn't for people who stood up for what they believed in the "GAA" wouldn't exist.

He's confusing real life sports with Any Given Sunday I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

It's a game.

People make friends and help out friends,

Put the two together, it's human nature.

My issue was that I personally didn't want to play for the club anymore lmao
    Well, what you actually said was that you disagreed with something he said.

You said that he then "lost his mind", and went "on a huge rant".

You said that you next "got up and walked straight past him", and you left the field.

My simple observation is that your team-mates all stayed behind, and seem to have sided with the team and their manager.

You were alone, no?

• Advertisement

Yet here you are proudly pontificating about your intention to indoctrinate your kids for/against particular sports because of your own prejudices?

Have you considered a career as a Mad Mullah, Rabid Rabbi or Pushy Priest?

Well, what you actually said was that you disagreed with something he said.

You said that he then "lost his mind", and went "on a huge rant".

You said that you next "got up and walked straight past him", and you left the field.

My simple observation is that your team-mates all stayed behind, and seem to have sided with the team and their manager.

You were alone, no?

How many times must I explain that I left myself lmao

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Gotta keep this one for the next "Is boards representative of Irish society?" thread.

^^ love the way this guy, without any knowledge whatsoever of the circumstances, is doing the typical gah-head thing.

"gah was right, guy who dissed gah was wrong"

To the extend of making up scenarios in his head.

It must be weird to be so indoctrinated, so ingrained, so brainwashed in the culture.

Karl Stein wrote: »
    Yet here you are proudly pontificating about your intention to indoctrinate your kids for/against particular sports because of your own prejudices?

Have you considered a career as a Mad Mullah, Rabid Rabbi or Pushy Priest?

Again, thanks for the parenting tips Dr Spock - how many kids have you raised again, you seem to have missed that one last time round.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

It must be weird to be so indoctrinated, so ingrained, so brainwashed in the culture.

It has to be said, you're the only one on the thread who's outlined what they want their children to like and to completely avoid, if not actively hate for some reason...

c_man wrote: »
    It has to be said, you're the only one on the thread who's outlined what they want their children to like and to completely avoid, if not actively hate for some reason...

show me any parent who has wants and don't-wants for their kidd, or any parent who doesn't "encourage" their kids into certain activities or interests - so spare me the pontificating.

The gah-parents are actually worse than me.

Again, to everyone dishing out the parenting advice, it would be awesome if you could include your own parenting experience before telling me how to parent, thanks. :)

typical gah-head thing.

"gah was right, guy who dissed gah was wrong"

Was that mean't for me? I have no personal connection with the GAA and have never played Gaelic sports at any level.

Incredible mental gymnastics to label me 'indoctrinated' while proudly pontificating about your intention to purposefully indoctrinate children as regards their sporting preferences.

I left myself
    Precisely. Your protest was not shared.

• Advertisement

Still not answering my question Karl Stein? Wonder why that could be.

You've not a clue about what you are on about, so seeya pal, been nice chatting to you kid.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement