Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jim Mansfield R.I.P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 we built this city

MadsL wrote: »
    Most of us worked within the confines of the law. Perhaps you are advocating breaking it in order to "do things".

If your talking about planning issues and structures being built before planning all developments that's where constructed are granted permission by way of retention and contributions have being paid to local authorities so as it stands substantial payments where made people put in jobs and a hole village built. If you look back at the mistakes the government have maded they cause more mistakes in the construction industry that have cost families their home so don't blame the person blame the system that the government created

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

If your talking about planning issues and structures being built before planning all developments that's where constructed are granted permission by way of retention

The law states that you must apply for planning permission before construction.

Retrospective planning permissions being granted were found to be in breach of EU Law and Ireland was sanctioned in this regards. The Mansfield operation knew well they were to apply for planning before construction commenced but were basically pulling strokes and pressuring the council into granting retrospective planning permission.

Is it any wonder the country is in a mess with developers willing to flout the law on the scale JM's "empire" did?
    and contributions have being paid to local authorities so as it stands substantial payments where made
    Everyone pays development contributions, it is not an excuse to ignore planning law.
    people put in jobs
    So what? Not very sustainable jobs as it turned out.
    and a hole village built.

Village? I think you got it right when you described it as a hole.
    If you look back at the mistakes the government have maded they cause more mistakes in the construction industry that have cost families their home so don't blame the person blame the system that the government created

What BS, whatever mistakes the Govt made, there were stil planning laws. You just want to cast the blame elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

You should not be talking about a dead man like that. He created employment and got things done. In his final years he got very ill and ultimately it killed him. Some people were mentioning how convenient it was that "he was sick" now the pressure was on.

The guy worked hard. OK, he was unconventioanal, but he got things done. A few more like him would help build the country back up.

I never met the man, but family are kinda connected to him.

The law states that you must apply for planning permission before construction.

Retrospective planning permissions being granted were found to be in breach of EU Law and Ireland was sanctioned in this regards. The Mansfield operation knew well they were to apply for planning before construction commenced but were basically pulling strokes and pressuring the council into granting retrospective planning permission.

Is it any wonder the country is in a mess with developers willing to flout the law on the scale JM's "empire" did?

Everyone pays development contributions, it is not an excuse to ignore planning law.

So what? Not very sustainable jobs as it turned out.

Village? I think you got it right when you described it as a hole.

What BS, whatever mistakes the Govt made, there were stil planning laws. You just want to cast the blame elsewhere.

I think people are making comments on things they read In the paper and if you are worried about someone who have done something to better themselfs in life than why don't they get of there holes and try do the things he has done and see how they get on and what why they go about it

And regards planning laws and building regulations And how developments work go to college and study to get qualified to comment on the system don't read an article and think you know how they work

You should not be talking about a dead man like that. He created employment and got things done. In his final years he got very ill and ultimately it killed him. Some people were mentioning how convenient it was that "he was sick" now the pressure was on.

The guy worked hard. OK, he was unconventioanal, but he got things done. A few more like him would help build the country back up.

I never met the man, but family are kinda connected to him.

All this is are people being jealous minded because they can or don't have a brain to do anything in there life.

• Advertisement

I think people are making comments on things they read In the paper and if you are worried about someone who have done something to better themselfs in life than why don't they get of there holes and try do the things he has done and see how they get on and what why they go about it

And regards planning laws and building regulations And how developments work go to college and study to get qualified to comment on the system don't read an article and think you know how they work

I have been involved in planning law and environmental law for many years, what I know does not come from a newspaper.

I have been involved in planning law and environmental law for many years, what I know does not come from a newspaper.

So if you involved you'd know that this happens in construction so don't pass judgement on someone you don't know or blame someone for the way a system is written and allow someone to work within

MOD: User banned for trolling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

Upwards of half the buildings I work on were originally built without planning but got it through retention. There's thousands employed within them, me included. If everyone waited for the councils to get off their hands, feck all would get done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Someone describing themselves as an "advisor to the Mansfields" appears to be unable to read or write. Perhaps that's why they ended up ignoring the law? Their advisor couldn't read it?

Alternatively, maybe you're just one of the local boyos from the Rathcoole pub who loved Big Jim for all the cosy little numbers he handed around, and have jumped on here to defend him? Small village me fein backhander Irish life at its best. "Ah sure I made a few quid so he must be all right".

Mansfield wasn't "allowed" to do anything.

He used bribery and political pressure to flout the law and avoid prosecution, just like hundreds of other developers we are supposedly jealous of. Citing the defense "it was the government" when the government were openly in the pockets of rich men like Mansfield is nonsense. These corrupt people created the system according to the rules they wanted, profited beyond anyone's wildest dreams, then used the same bribary and corruption in political circles to force the final bill onto the taxpayer.

Mansfield was probably very nice; to the people he chose to be.

To everyone else he's just another corrupt theif who screwed the country into the wall for his own gain. As to "losing it all" I don't think his kids are going to be in the dole office any time soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Upwards of half the buildings I work on were originally built without planning but got it through retention. There's thousands employed within them, me included. If everyone waited for the councils to get off their hands, feck all would get done.

Were the things that "Got done" good things?

All those empty ghost estate tax havens?

The huge rise in prices?

The collapse and recession?

"Getting things done" is only admirable if the things that "get done" are things which benefit society, not if they are things that serve no purpose other than to line the pockets of plutocrats and theiving politicians.

• Advertisement

Were the things that "Got done" good things?

All those empty ghost estate tax havens?

The huge rise in prices?

The collapse and recession?

"Getting things done" is only admirable if the things that "get done" are things which benefit society, not if they are things that serve no purpose other than to line the pockets of plutocrats and theiving politicians.

I was on about factories. Houses are a whole other story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

All this is are people being jealous minded because they can or don't have a brain to do anything in there life.

Lol...get away out of that ye mouthpiece!he was a corrupt,greedy kunt.One of many that has this country the way it is.

I was on about factories. Houses are a whole other story.

Which factories were built without planning permssion? Do tell.

Which factories were built without planning permssion? Do tell.

I'll give that nugget a miss. :) Be assured there were plenty.

Then you won't find it hard to name one. The planning file will be a matter of public record.

the onus is on you to back up your claims...otherwise you just come across as bullsh1tting.

returnNull wrote: »
    the onus is on you to back up your claims...otherwise you just come across as bullsh1tting.

I'll live with the shame. I like food and stuff.

I'll live with the shame.

ah there's no shame in it,we just know you're full of it and will take everything you say with a big lump of salt.

returnNull wrote: »
    ah there's no shame in it,we just know you're full of it and will take everything you say with a big lump of salt.

Probably for the best. If you want to bring shyte to your door, fire ahead, I'll pass thanks. ;)

I'll live with the shame.

So you cannot name even one.

Says everything.

• Advertisement

Probably for the best.
    Should really quit while you're ahead.By all means,continue fapping over JM,just dont think you wont get pulled up on posting lies.
    If you want to bring shyte to your door, fire ahead, I'll pass thanks. ;)
    Wha dafuq does this even mean?And in relation to what?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Anyway, condolences to his family. The financial travails couldn't have done his health much good.

They made absolutely no difference to his health at all. Multiple system atrophy is a horrible, unrelenting and terrible neurodegenerative disease that has no cure, has no remission and is every bit as relentless as Motor Neurone Disease. It's much rarer than Motor Neurone's though and **** all is known about it.

As a scientist I know an awful lot about the disease and unfortunately it's the same disease that killed my own Mum last September, less than 2 years after she was diagnosed.
    I cost the country much less than this bloke when I left.

I'm baffled how you find it sad that someone who's debts are now being serviced by the nation who dies at 75 to be 'sad'.

"Sad" how exactly?

Well you'll be delighted to know that he will have lost the ability to swallow, will have experienced extreme dizziness upon attempting to stand up and probably continuously passed out just trying to get out of bed. Eventually he will have lost the ability to move and speak. He will have been unable to eat and may have been tube fed. You'll be thrilled and clapping your hands with happiness to know that he suffered an absolutely dreadful death.

Yes, I know that he probably cost the country a lot of money but his relatives and loved ones will have watched an incredibly terrible death and they will have felt more hurt than you can imagine. Cop yourself on.

r3nu4l wrote: »
    They made absolutely no difference to his health at all. Multiple system atrophy is a horrible, unrelenting and terrible neurodegenerative disease that has no cure, has no remission and is every bit as relentless as Motor Neurone Disease. It's much rarer than Motor Neurone's though and **** all is known about it.

As a scientist I know an awful lot about the disease and unfortunately it's the same disease that killed my own Mum last September, less than 2 years after she was diagnosed.

Well you'll be delighted to know that he will have lost the ability to swallow, will have experienced extreme dizziness upon attempting to stand up and probably continuously passed out just trying to get out of bed. Eventually he will have lost the ability to move and speak. He will have been unable to eat and may have been tube fed. You'll be thrilled and clapping your hands with happiness to know that he suffered an absolutely dreadful death.

Yes, I know that he probably cost the country a lot of money but his relatives and loved ones will have watched an incredibly terrible death and they will have felt more hurt than you can imagine. Cop yourself on.

Thanks for that post, and sorry about your Mum. I was actually just wanting to bang in a thread on the fact he had passed, sort of an acknowledgement. I'll bet John Gilligan gets a fine eulogy when he passes, I thought Mansfield deserved a mention. I really had no agenda beyond that.

r3nu4l wrote: »

I'm sad for your mother, and sorry for your loss. I do recognise the hurt for the family. But JM was not in any way the hero people are trying to paint him, I won't feel bad for trying to tell the truth about his activities. <snip> out of respect for r3nu4l I have edited my post

I really had no agenda beyond that.

Why are you defending him then, and making up stuff about factories?

Why are you defending him then, and making up stuff about factories?

Sure what else would you be at. I'll leave you at it - the field is yours. Build somthing on it.

Sure what else would you be at.

He's talking about you..

Sure what else would you be at.

Trying to stop the greedy from breaking the law is what I'm often at. Oral Hearings included.

I'll leave you at it

You have been leaving a while now...

- the field is yours. Build somthing on it.

The environment is everyones. You cannot build as you like, have you not learnt the consequences of that? €300m debts in JMs case.

Trying to stop the greedy from breaking the law is what I'm often at. Oral Hearings included.
    That you Biggins?

You have been leaving a while now...

I forgot my coat.

The environment is everyones. You cannot build as you like, have you not learnt the consequences of that? €300m debts in JMs case.

Some people do more with their bit so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I'm sad for your mother, and sorry for your loss. I do recognise the hurt for the family.

Thank you, sincerely.
    But JM was not in any way the hero people are trying to paint him, I won't feel bad for trying to tell the truth about his activities.
    I don't give a damn what the man did or did not do.
    Sorry if your attempt at shaming failed.
    Let me make one thing very, very clear to you. I would never use my Mum's death in an attempt to 'shame' some random individual on the internet that I care nothing about. I'll ask you politely to retract that comment and the insinuation. All I was trying to do was to show you that your comment on why 'anyone' should feel sad, was 'a bit off'.

That aside.
    I've already seen today that you don't have much time for Irish funerals or for dead people but for someone who doesn't have much time for the dead you've written a huge amount of posts dismissing anyone who posts anything that seems remotely like human sympathy. Interesting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement