Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moving back to Ireland - with BOOZE

Options
  • 08-03-2015 6:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭

Not sure where to put this, so I'll plonk it here. My brother left Ireland in 2009 when he lost his job and moved to Germany where he's been working since. He never stopped looking for work here, and now he's been hired by a company in Cork and he's planning on coming home shortly.

Thing is, he got into wine in a big way, and now he has literally hundreds of bottles of wine that he will want to bring back. 'No problem', I said to him, 'you can bring back as much as you want for personal consumption'. But, just to be sure, I checked the Revenue site and it says that indeed you can bring as much as you like, but you must transport it yourself. He was planning to fire it all into the moving truck with his furniture. He doesn't even own a car.

Has anyone any experience of this situation? Will the customs people kick down his door and demand duty on every bottle that the movers bring in for him? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Bringing booze into Ireland?

I had a similar situation when I was moving back to Newcastle a few years back.

Had to hire a truck for all the coal.

Serious answer - he'll probably be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

I'll drive it back for 25% commission.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Are you AVB's weed smoking brother?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭PCX

If he was that into the wine he would have drunk it!

If he has bought it as an investment for selling in the future then it is not for personal consumption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭RecordStraight

stimpson wrote: »
    I'll drive it back for 25% commission.
    It could come to something like this yet...

• Advertisement

PCX wrote: »
    If he was that into the wine he would have drunk it!

If he has bought it as an investment for selling in the future then it is not for personal consumption.
    Uh...ok. That must be why no wine fans keep more than one bottle at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Could he not sit in the cab with the driver if he's that worried

P_1 wrote: »
    Could he not sit in the cab with the driver if he's that worried
    I don't think that's an option that German moving companies offer. Nice thought though, outside the box.

Advertisement