Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rolec EV:WallPod SolarCharge - Zappi alternative?

• 20-06-2019 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Looks like Rolec are bringing out a Zappi competitor with their WallPod EV:SolarChage

Datasheet here
    Overview information here

Pricing looks to start from £395+VAT, taking pre orders for June delivery - this is from evonestop.co.uk here
    Pretty competitive versus Zappi at £695+VAT

No app or remote options available, all config or mode switch done via the unit itself.
    Doesn't look to have the Zappi 'Smart Boost' which I think is a pretty key feature for me.

Anyone else know of other Solar charge alternatives out there?

Tom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,760 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I always reckoned Zappi were overcharging (because they can - lack of competition)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

does this need an isolator switch for those with a power shower? ie an extra cost?
    zappi seems to have that already built in

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭_ned_

A friend just bought an L30 and is looking for a charger. This Rolec looks very nice, but does it do grid current limiting? This is one feature of the Zappi that really is a must-have. You don't want to blow your main fuse, because you switched on the kettle, shower and a hairdryer while the car is charging. Does anyone know of a reasonably priced EVSE that has a limit feature? Or is the Zappi the only one?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ltd440

It says it has rcbo ( circuit breaker) on the specs, so looks like a good alternative to the Zappi

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_

ltd440 wrote: »
    It says it has rcbo ( circuit breaker) on the specs, so looks like a good alternative to the Zappi

The RCBO is just a fault protection device, it's not the same thing as the grid limiting feature of the Zappi, so if you have an electric shower you would need to install a priority switch with this one.

I think only the Zappi and the Garo have the grid limiting, standard in the Zappi and an optional extra with the Garo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭JohnC.

_dof_ wrote: »
    I think only the Zappi and the Garo have the grid limiting, standard in the Zappi and an optional extra with the Garo.

Garo looks interesting. About how much are they? The website seems lacking in prices and looks geared more towards trade sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ltd440

_dof_ wrote: »
    ltd440 wrote: »

The RCBO is just a fault protection device, it's not the same thing as the grid limiting feature of the Zappi, so if you have an electric shower you would need to install a priority switch with this one.

Thanks for clearing that up for me, I'm still unsure which home charger to get. I don't have solar and won't be getting any in the next few years, so I'm thinking a basic second hand unit would do me. I was thinking this rolec would be a bit of future proofing but anyway back to plan a

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

JohnC. wrote: »
    Garo looks interesting. About how much are they? The website seems lacking in prices and looks geared more towards trade sales.

Last time I got quotes, an untethered model was around €800 and the tethered modal was a bit over 1k. That's before adding on loading balancing, wifi modules or other bells and whistles. Then again, they've been in the electrical game a long time so it's probably a solid piece of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

daheff wrote: »
    does this need an isolator switch for those with a power shower? ie an extra cost?
    zappi seems to have that already built in

By my reading of the spec, yes.

The Rolec solar just diverts excess solar to your car but no load limiting built in.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭_ned_

I emailed Rolec and they say that none of their current models have load limiting, but they expect to announce new models that will limit "in a few weeks". I'm happy with the Zappi and hub since I got the charging bug fixed, but they are quite expensive. I didn't know that Garo do a limiting charger.

• Advertisement
Advertisement