Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭phat1

GreeBo wrote: »
    and 10sq is a bitch to manage at the best of times.

OP are you running this through the house and are you going to duct it or try to hid it behind walls/under floors etc?

I ran about 12M 8 years ago and my knuckles are just getting back to normal :(
    I have my attic converted, Not sure how I am going to do it yet, But I will bury the cable

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

phat1 wrote: »
    I have my attic converted, Not sure how I am going to do it yet, But I will bury the cable

If the cable is all indoors apart from going down an outside wall to the charge point, I wouldnt use SWA. Just put the last bit, thats on the outside wall, inside trunking.

The cable will be alot easier to handle and alot cheaper to buy. SWA is not cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Any recommendations on an untethered charge point that can take advantage of solar panels? I did see Zappi were coming out with one but they're not launched yet right?

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Finally got my rolec wallpod installed. ~€450 for the unit itself, and the sparks just wanted €100 to install it (he's doing other work at my house at the moment, but didn't make much of a hullabaloo about it being anything other than just like installing an external socket).

Happy days!

6970a59ecc78ab9f80110debbe7d6f86.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Folks, what setup would be advised for a Leaf (40kw) and a model 3? Do I need 2 different cables to charge at home? I don’t think there will be a requirement to charge both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Mach Two

Will the grant cover the cost of it.

Mach Two wrote: »

Of mine, yes. Grant is for €600, mine only cost €550 total.

krissovo wrote: »
    Folks, what setup would be advised for a Leaf (40kw) and a model 3? Do I need 2 different cables to charge at home? I don’t think there will be a requirement to charge both.

Think both use type 2 charging connectors, so 1 charger with a type 2 port on it, or 1 charger with a type 2 tethered plug on it would suit both Leaf and Model 3.
    Only 1 car will charge at a time. The charger would also need to be accessible to both cars (if you've 2+ parking bays).

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Luckylow10

Just got Elvi EVBox installed today. Wasn’t a straightforward install, fusebox is in middle of the house so a lot of work hiding cables etc. and also have electric shower but have to say the lads did a fantastic job..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

Finally got my rolec wallpod installed. ~€450 for the unit itself, and the sparks just wanted €100 to install it (he's doing other work at my house at the moment, but didn't make much of a hullabaloo about it being anything other than just like installing an external socket).

Happy days!

6970a59ecc78ab9f80110debbe7d6f86.png

Where did you buy this socket? . My house is getting built just now and I'd get my electrician to fit it while he's there

• Advertisement

Where did you buy this socket? . My house is getting built just now and I'd get my electrician to fit it while he's there

evonestop

https://evonestop.co.uk/collections/home-charging-range/products/wallpod-ev-charging-unit-type-2-socket-16-32-amp3-6-7-2kw-ip65?variant=9669995921455

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Mach Two wrote: »

Officially, it won’t but if your smart in buying and fitting it can.
    I bought my charger for €200. Mate charged €100 for connecting and certs.
    I ran all the cables during a renovation.

Total cost €300
    Grant returned €600.
    Profit €300 :)

But there was an RCBO bought through the trade as part of the electrical work so that has to be added on too.

kceire wrote: »
    Officially, it won’t but if your smart in buying and fitting it can.
    I bought my charger for €200. Mate charged €100 for connecting and certs.
    I ran all the cables during a renovation.

Total cost €300
    Grant returned €600.
    Profit €300 :)

But there was an RCBO bought through the trade as part of the electrical work so that has to be added on too.

Where was it €200 for the charger?

A guy on the FB group got an original one as part of the free installs. Then bought another EV seemly, and I bought the second one he got from eCars.

It was an ABL Unit 16A but 32A capable.
    They pop up now and again on eBay etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

There's a very fancy Type-1 tethered charger on the FB group at the moment for 280.

You might need to be a member.
    https://m.facebook.com/groups/1398421950294098?ref=content_filter

They come up regularly on adverts and eBay too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

n97 mini wrote: »

Yeah it's a closed group, but just click to join and one of the world class handsome and intelligent admins will accept your request quick sharp. ;)

n97 mini wrote: »
    There's a very fancy Type-1 tethered charger on the FB group at the moment for 280.

You might need to be a member.
    https://m.facebook.com/groups/1398421950294098?ref=content_filter

They come up regularly on adverts and eBay too.

Wow very fancy alright.
    I never seen one of them before.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Yeah it's a closed group, but just click to join and one of the world class handsome and intelligent admins will accept your request quick sharp. ;)

Handsome and intelligent eh? Say no more. Request sent :)

Wow very fancy alright.

OK so I'm new to all this. Seller is getting rid cos she needs a type 2 for her zoe.
    I've a zoe coming next month, so am I right in thinking this ain't the charger for me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Wow very fancy alright.

Same. Anyone know what make it is?

OK so I'm new to all this. Seller is getting rid cos she needs a type 2 for her zoe.
    I've a zoe coming next month, so am I right in thinking this ain't the charger for me?

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

Anyone?

here says type II charger is the connection type

https://www.cdn.renault.com/content/dam/Renault/IE/Brochures/Vehicles/zoe-brochure-may.pdf

Ad doesn't say what type it is, but if she is selling as needs a type II I would assume she's done her homework and it is not the one for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭this.lad

I have read about priority switches etc for chargers i assume, possibly incorrectly, that this applies to 32A chargers.

Can you run 2 16A chargers or a 16 and a 32 without an issue?

Thanks,

About to go to 2evs in the house...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭JohnC.

It's not just about charging your cars, but everything else in the house using power too.

JohnC. wrote: »
    It's not just about charging your cars, but everything else in the house using power too.

Yeah i get that alright. Only charge at night when the night rate kicks in. Could set the cars to charge one after the other. One start at 12 the other at 3 maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

this.lad wrote: »
    Yeah i get that alright. Only charge at night when the night rate kicks in. Could set the cars to charge one after the other. One start at 12 the other at 3 maybe?

The Zappi will reduce the charge rate when there is excess load on the house rather than switch it in and off like a priority switch. A timer would work OK, but if the timers got reset and overlap then you could possible blow the main fuse in the house.

I’m sure other charge points can be set to charge at a lower rate. Makes little difference if it’s overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,764 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Most cars can be set to charge at a lower rate too.

this.lad wrote: »
    I have read about priority switches etc for chargers i assume, possibly incorrectly, that this applies to 32A chargers.

Can you run 2 16A chargers or a 16 and a 32 without an issue?

Thanks,

About to go to 2evs in the house...

Let one use the charge point and one use the granny charger.

• Advertisement

Let one use the charge point and one use the granny charger.

Yeah i had suggested that myself on the other thread. Just if the two needed a good charge up of a night was looking at all options

Advertisement