Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

If you could change one thing about Ireland...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

jimgoose wrote: »
    By all means, but by the time it complies with Irish regulation around PSVs and licensing, you've just got a big hackney firm. The Americans traditionally have difficulty getting their little heads around the regulation in Europe around these things. :pac:

They seemed to do it in London though

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

They seemed to do it in London though

TfL refused to re-license Uber in 2017 because they are not compliant with local regulations there either. However, because they were granted such license at one stage, they are able to operate until all appeal channels are exhausted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

i would put it on the petrol/diesel so the more you use your car the more you pay..
    That way you havnt got the gaurds stoping people and taking there car for no tax.

Also that then gives the gardai more time to fight real crime instead of being tax collectors.

So you think people forced to commute to work by the policies of successive FG/FF governments, from areas which have zero public transport, again due to the policies of successive FF/FG governments, should pay all the tax rather than those fortunate enough to live in the cities?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

micar wrote: »
    All primary schools are bilingual for Irish and English.

After 14 years of learning Irish I can't put a sentence together.
    That must be someone elses fault

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭davidglanza

Marhay70 wrote: »
    So you think people forced to commute to work by the policies of successive FG/FF governments, from areas which have zero public transport, again due to the policies of successive FF/FG governments, should pay all the tax rather than those fortunate enough to live in the cities?

Are you not already paying motor tax if you're commuting.

• Advertisement

Are you not already paying motor tax if you're commuting.

Of course, what's your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭davidglanza

Of course, what's your point?

My point is your already paying tax to commute.

So why not take away the lump sum every 3months that people have to come up with to tax there car.
    Put a tax on fuel and then your only spending what you can afford without the worry of getting stopped by gardai for not having a motor tax disc..

Most of europe already do it...

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

I would 100% change the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

So why not take away the lump sum every 3months that people have to come up with to tax there car.
    Put a tax on fuel and then your only spending what you can afford without the worry of getting stopped by gardai for not having a motor tax disc..

Borderland petrol stations would make a killing.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 kateee47298

Definitely the weather, it doesn't even have to be the temperature but the amount of rain, especially in the west

• Advertisement

And my point is that you have two people working in the same office, factory etc and driving similar cars the only difference being that one is forced by circumstances beyond his control to commute 60km to work while the other can walk, cycle or use public transport how is it fair that one is charged motor tax to get to work while the other isn't'
    I wish people would stop comparing Ireland with the rest of Europe, Ireland is nothing like the rest of Europe. Most of the rest of Europe have competent national and local administration, proper planning, decent far reaching public transport etc., etc, etc. Ireland is a basket case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

And my point is that you have two people working in the same office, factory etc and driving similar cars the only difference being that one is forced by circumstances beyond his control to commute 60km to work while the other can walk, cycle or use public transport how is it fair that one is charged motor tax to get to work while the other isn't'
    I wish people would stop comparing Ireland with the rest of Europe, Ireland is nothing like the rest of Europe. Most of the rest of Europe have competent national and local administration, proper planning, decent far reaching public transport etc., etc, etc. Ireland is a basket case.

As Gay Byrne ( Irelands leading media person for decades) once famously said, we wanted our independence, we have to pay for it. That was in in the eighties after many decades of poverty and huge emigration to Britain, and before all the Rec/ EU handoutkicked in, and before the Americans really started using Ireland as tax haven for their companies.

janfebmar wrote: »
    As Gay Byrne ( Irelands leading media person for decades) once famously said, we wanted our independence, we have to pay for it. That was in in the eighties after many decades of poverty and huge emigration to Britain, and before all the Rec/ EU handoutkicked in, and before the Americans really started using Ireland as tax haven for their companies.
    Byrne was such a ****ing expert he allowed himself to be ripped off not once but twice.
    Big fish in a small pool, conservative anti union scrote who favoured the poor but happy for everyone else approach

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

zero tolerance on anti-social behavior and much tougher sentencing - life means life - never concurant, always consecutive would be a start

the focus needs to be on punishment and public safety and not rehabilitation

Edgware wrote: »
    Byrne was such a ****ing expert he allowed himself to be ripped off not once but twice.
    Big fish in a small pool, conservative anti union scrote who favoured the poor but happy for everyone else approach

That is another negative thing about Ireland, the way people knock people like Gay Byrne who started from humble beginnings but done well for themselves and now lives in Howth. The begrudgers

That is another negative thing about Ireland, the way people knock people like Gay Byrne who started from humble beginnings but done well for themselves and now lives in Howth. The begrudgers[/qbegrudg
    He came from a humble background but was well able to patronise anyone with a Dublin or country working class accent. Despite what he tried to portray he was a pro Catholic Blueshirt establishment ****

He came from a humble background but was well able to patronise anyone with a Dublin or country working class accent. Despite what he tried to portray he was a pro Catholic Blueshirt establishment ****

He spoke properly. That is another thing many people despise about Ireland, a lot of people have very poor elocution and the worst offenders often attack those who can speak properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

The weather, think France has the best all round climate, I'd happily change ours for theirs.

Which one? It has 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

...he was a pro Catholic Blueshirt establishment ****

You say that like it's a bad thing! :pac:

Who's this "we" of whom you speak?

• Advertisement

Who's this "we" of whom you speak?

I assume he meant "people in Ireland".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I’d saw off Norn Iron and float it up beside Greenland.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Why not just sink it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Why not just sink it ?

That would work too. Excellent idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Stick it to Scotland where it belongs.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

What did Scotland ever do on you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,358 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I would tweak the weather a bit that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Why not just sink it ?
    That would work too. Excellent idea.
    What did Scotland ever do on you :)

I would like to see an Ireland where this kind of ignorant BS didn't exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I would like to see an Ireland where this kind of ignorant BS didn't exist.

Everyone doesn't have to like every other country in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Everyone doesn't have to like every other country in the world.

Another country? I refer you to my previous post.

I'm really not in the mood for this kind of rubbish on a Friday morning.

Advertisement