Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cams, what to get and where to get it (Q&A only)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Patww79 wrote: »
    How do people get the camera to focus through the windscreen rather than on the windscreen? Is there just a bad distance range to avoid?

Don't use shiny products on dash plastics, keep windscreen clean as mentioned previously and aim the camera lenses down so its not shining up into the sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

2008 E60 BMW 520d MSport LCI - Genuine Alpine White

Genuine Alpine White from factory.
    2 owners from new.

Timing Chain done by BMW.

TAX 01/2019
    NCT 07/2019

Complete documented and verified service history from brand new with every single receipt contained in folder including
    PDI Check, Every service, Every NCT and every previous Tax Disc.
    • Genuine Factory Fitted 172M Spyder 19" Wheels with nearly new tyres.
    • Genuine OEM BMW Mudflaps.
    • Genuine OEM BMW Rear Lip Spoiler.
    • Genuine OEM Remote Gate controls built into rear view mirror.
    • Factory Fitted Logic 7 Sound System which includes USB input and iPod Integration.
    • Memory Seats, Mirrors and Steering Wheel Control.
    • All Original Keys Present.
    • Rubber BMW Boot Mat
    • Genuine BMW Space Saver Kit.
    • Original Leather Wallet and all Handbooks Present.
    • Motorcheck.ie Report.

16.07.2008 - PDI Check - Kearys BMW Cork
    18.12.2009 - Service - Kearys BMW Cork - 22,071 Miles
    06.07.2010 - Service - Kearys BMW Cork - 36,829 Miles
    05.10.2010 - Service - Murphy Motor Works Cork - 43,250 Miles
    05.04.2011 - Service - Murphy Motor Works Cork - 49,861 Miles
    14.05.2012 - Service - Murphy Motor Works Cork - 64,382 Miles
    19.09.2012 - NCT - 74,398 Miles
    23.01.2014 - Service - Motor Confidence Dublin - 131,919 KM
    25.01.2014 - BMW Battery Cover Recall - Murphy & Gunn BMW - 132,026 KM
    29.08.2014 - NCT - 137,470 KM
    06.11.2014 - BMW Winter Check - Joe Duffy BMW - 138,949 KM
    05.03.2015 - Service - Murphy & Gunn BMW - 141,052 KM
    05.03.2015 - BMW Timing Chain Replacement - Murphy & Gunn BMW - 141,052 KM
    02.07.2016 - NCT - 137,942 KM
    15.07.2016 - Service - Mister Auto Receipts in Folder - 149,496 KM
    11.03.2018 - Service - Mister Auto Receipts in Folder - 162,022 KM
    16.03.2018 - Service - Larkin Automotive Dublin - 162,139 KM
    27.12.2018 - New Wipers - 168,241 KM

Various other receipts for tyres, minor repairs, wipers, headlight alignment all present with dates and mileages stated also.

Genuine Reason For sale - Bought an F10 Model.
    Good, clean, genuine and straight original car.
    Never remapped or messed with.

https://www.adverts.ie/car/bmw/520/2008-e60-bmw-520d-msport-lci-genuine-alpine-white/17007819

Mod note - update from poster 12 Jan - deposit taken

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Have been looking at a lot of dash cams and reviews over the past week or two. Ideally wanted a dual channel but it's quite hard to get a moderately priced one that has 1080p in the rear. Was going to go with the Mini 0906 but a few negatives in terms of reliability so finally settled on the Viofo A129 with the addition of wifi being a nice extra.

Best it's been according to CamelCamel is £129 and was going to purchase it at £129.99 this morning but it so happens there's a lightening deal at present with it reduced to £109.99. Deal is only for a few hours and ends at 23:30 in case anyone else is considering it.

Bought the hardwire kit also so should hopefully have it next week and spend a while installing. Don't do much driving but it could be invaluable in an accident or scam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Don't use shiny products on dash plastics, keep windscreen clean as mentioned previously and aim the camera lenses down so its not shining up into the sky.

I never use any products on my dash as it hasn't been wiped in two years :D

But yeah maybe it was a bit high. I've filled the bottom half of the image with bonnet now and done a bit of driving. Must give it a check on the PC tomorrow to see if it's any better. If not it's going in the bin as I shouldn't be getting anything close to the blur I'm getting. I've seen supposedly lesser cameras from the same manufacturer with much clearer footage.

• Advertisement

I never use any products on my dash as it hasn't been wiped in two years :D

But yeah maybe it was a bit high. I've filled the bottom half of the image with bonnet now and done a bit of driving. Must give it a check on the PC tomorrow to see if it's any better. If not it's going in the bin as I shouldn't be getting anything close to the blur I'm getting. I've seen supposedly lesser cameras from the same manufacturer with much clearer footage.

Some you can get a lense filter which can help.

Some you can get a lense filter which can help.

Mine has a built in one but I've never been able to focus it right. It is good for removing reflections from the dash though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Found in BA.

€75 and get it cheaper if you are an AXA insurance customer.

https://www.halfords.ie/technology/dash-cams/dash-cams/nextbase-dash-cam-402g-professional

£120 on Amazon.

Found in BA.

€75 and get it cheaper if you are an AXA insurance customer.

https://www.halfords.ie/technology/dash-cams/dash-cams/nextbase-dash-cam-402g-professional

£120 on Amazon.

Bit disappointed it only can take up to 32gb.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

ordered this: Toguard dashcam 20% off that as well. Can't be bad for that money? No WiFi, but I really doubt I'd need it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Anyone know where do get the stickers that attach the Dashcam mount to the windscreen?
    I'm looking for a physical shop near Dublin if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Anyone know where do get the stickers that attach the Dashcam mount to the windscreen?
    I'm looking for a physical shop near Dublin if possible.

Not too sure about the sticker but this tape is very similar and very strong.
    https://www.woodies.ie/unibond-no-more-nails-on-a-roll-interior-and-exterior-19mm-x-1-5m-325186

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/20656190

Land Rover Discovery Sport SE 2.2D 190 - High Spec
    190bhp 2.2 SD4
    Fuji White with contrasting Black Roof
    NCT until 2/21
    5 seats

High spec:
    - Xenon Headlamps with LED Signature
    - Ebony Grained Leather Seats, heated with 8-way electric adjustment
    - Cold Climate Pack which includes heated front and rear seats, heated front and rear windscreen, heated mirrors and heated washer jets
    - Heated Steering Wheel
    - Navigation Media System
    - Front and rear parking sensors
    - Rear View Camera
    - Forward Alert and Autonomous Emergency Braking
    - Lane Departure Warning System
    - Cruise Control
    - Automatic Lights with auto high beam assist
    - Ambience Lighting
    - Genuine Land Rover Side Steps
    - 17" Odyssey Silver Sparkle alloy wheels

Mileage 75k, serviced recently at 65k which included brakes and 2 front tyres.
    Just NCT’d last week, this will last until February 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Amouar

Do you guys leave your dashcams plugged all the time? I want to leave my dashcam all the time and use a high capacity powerbank to power it when the car is parked but I'm afraid that someone might decide to break my car's door glass just to steal the dashcam, especially when parked at night.

What do you guys think?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭TheBody

Amouar wrote: »
    Do you guys leave your dashcams plugged all the time? I want to leave my dashcam all the time and use a high capacity powerbank to power it but I'm afraid that someone might decide to break my car's door glass just to steal the dashcam, especially when parked at night.

What do you guys think?

I think the vast majority of people leave them in their cars. My one is hardwired in to come on when I start the car.

It’s too much of pain to remove it at the end of every trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

TheBody wrote: »
    I think the vast majority of people leave them in their cars. [...]

#metoo

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gman127

whiterebel wrote: »
    ordered this: Toguard dashcam 20% off that as well. Can't be bad for that money? No WiFi, but I really doubt I'd need it.

Thanks for the heads up. Ordered this too.

I got a 16GB sd card too. Is that big do you think???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

1. Does hardwiring a camera mean that the camera will stay recording while the power is off? Or do only certain cameras have the ability to record while car is powered off?

2. Why do some cameras come with wifi? Is it to backup to a cloud storage?

3. When a memory card becomes full will it overwrite itself or will the camera stop recording?

gman127 wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up. Ordered this too.

I got a 16GB sd card too. Is that big do you think???

Most will take 32gb as a low end and Ive had a 128gb in mine that could take it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

timple23 wrote: »
    1. Does hardwiring a camera mean that the camera will stay recording while the power is off? Or do only certain cameras have the ability to record while car is powered off?

2. Why do some cameras come with wifi? Is it to backup to a cloud storage?

3. When a memory card becomes full will it overwrite itself or will the camera stop recording?

1. Not necessarily, in general most wire it up so it comes on with the ignition, you can go the other route but you risk killing your battery, though there are ways around that.

2.Mostly for ease of access, mine is used to connect your phone via an app so you can review and take video off the device without taking the camera or SD card out of the car. Its definitely a feature i recommend.

3. Yes its set to loop record, so when its full it starts overwriting

• Advertisement

Ayone a recommendation for something small and discreet for a rear window? I had the 512GW rear attachment but broke it and probably wouldn't buy another.

Edit - for a full set, what are these like?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075T8H9XJ/

projectgtr wrote: »
    you can go the other route but you risk killing your battery, though there are ways around that.

How can you install a dashcam so its running constantly without killing battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭blade1

How can you install a dashcam so its running constantly without killing battery?

It doesn't kill the battery if you drive the car every day.
    I've mine hooked up to a permanent live as I want it recording when I'm parked somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

with an inline voltage cut off, it will kill the dashcam power if the battery is getting low.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Alfie1

Ayone a recommendation for something small and discreet for a rear window? I had the 512GW rear attachment but broke it and probably wouldn't buy another.

Edit - for a full set, what are these like?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075T8H9XJ/

Techmoan reviewed that about a year ago here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGXiXz6QXQ4

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭1jcdub

I was thinking of getting either a BlackVue DR750S 1CH https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075D7MS11/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_y22oCb630HQXT or a Thinkware F800 Pro Car Dash Cam 1CH 16GB Full HD Single Channel Front Camera Plug & Play Model, Hardwiring Cable Included https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074ZR6CG9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_632oCbE5Z63TR.
    The Blackvue requires I buy a power magic pro for an additional £30 to monitor the voltage. So the blackvue is costing £280 for a 1ch dash cam. The Thinkware F800 has built in voltage monitoring and a hardwire kit as standard. Both have supercapacitors and GPS.
    Anyone have experience with either?
    Also I would have ideally like a 2CH system, but my budget is restricted to £250 . I know I could buy cheaper budget types, but I'm looking for the best features and image quality I can get for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

1jcdub wrote: »
    I was thinking of getting either a BlackVue DR750S 1CH https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075D7MS11/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_y22oCb630HQXT or a Thinkware F800 Pro Car Dash Cam 1CH 16GB Full HD Single Channel Front Camera Plug & Play Model, Hardwiring Cable Included https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074ZR6CG9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_632oCbE5Z63TR.
    The Blackvue requires I buy a power magic pro for an additional £30 to monitor the voltage. So the blackvue is costing £280 for a 1ch dash cam. The Thinkware F800 has built in voltage monitoring and a hardwire kit as standard. Both have supercapacitors and GPS.
    Anyone have experience with either?
    Also I would have ideally like a 2CH system, but my budget is restricted to £250 . I know I could buy cheaper budget types, but I'm looking for the best features and image quality I can get for the money.

Quite a good review/discussion here on BlackVue versus Thinkware along with a few cheaper manufactures

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭1jcdub

Quite a good review/discussion here on BlackVue versus Thinkware along with a few cheaper manufactures

Don't think I've seen that video. Going to have a look at it now.
    Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement