Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Acting differently around your partner...

• 11-01-2019 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭

Was having a few pints with my flatmate last night who's also my best mate. We were having a laugh, chatting away freely about everything. Around him, especially if we're drinking, I'm completely myself uncensored. I'd tell him my worst stories for comic effect, use language like c*unt, act boisterous and generally have no filter. He knows me instead out.
    It got me thinking though, I'd never act that way in front of my boyfriend. I alter my behaviour massively around him. I act way more demure and for want of a better word, ladylike. I still curse and act the maggot but I dilute my wilder stories and tell them in a more coy way.
    I've noticed this with my friends too. The lads act one way around me but the minute their girlfriends arrive, they tone it down and reign in the lad talk (again for want of a better term!).
    Are you guys the same way and if so, does it mean your partner doesn't truly know you? Should we all be completely unfiltered and 100% ourselves around our partners /potential partners or is a bit of acting par for the course?
    I also act differently around guys I fancy. I become all sweet and demure but in reality I'm a bit of a brass tomboy. Maybe I'm just a schizophrenic :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I work off the assumption that nobody is their unfiltered selves, ever. There is always a context so there is always a role to be played.
    As the context changes so do you. That is on a day-to-day scale and very perceptible over the years and decades. 'True self' - no such thing, an imagining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Never understood it.

I am who I am no matter who Im with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

When I got with my now husband, he really, really tried not to use the word ‘cünt’ around me. He really tried but eventually gave up. And now I sometimes say it. At home only though.

I’ve never really understood why it’s treated as such an offensive word anyway when ‘dick’ and ‘bellend’ and ‘cock’ and ‘bollocks’ are apparently fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Star wipe to 6 months down the line, OP ends up with flatmate. Ex-BF now understands why she was never really herself with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭oLoonatic

Everyone acts different depending on their company. Whether you want to admit it or realise it.

• Advertisement

If you can't endure me at my best, then you don't deserve me at my even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

You need to unleash the crazy on a partner gradually...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Woman who is best mates with a bloke, lives with a bloke and goes for pints with bloke but not going out with bloke but also says c*nt.

Edgy.

once you've farted in front of your partner, all taboos miraculously vanish.

I'd recommend doing it as early in the relationship as possible.

See it all the time, guys and women. Maybe that's why I'm still single but I'm not going to be a very different person around someone I might be spending a long time with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

topper's hit the nail on the head here; there is always a context. There's always a filter of some sort.

I wouldn't talk to my parents the way I talk to my wife. I wouldn't talk to my friends the way I talk to my wife. I wouldn't talk to my wife the way I talk to my friends.

Part of the beauty of evolving as social animals is that we unconsciously learn to tailor our approach to each person in order to maximise congeniality.

If you think about someone who's described as having "no filter" or who "says it like it is", you find that people treat them differently. Not necessarily in a good or bad way, but they tend to find it much more difficult to carry on a conversation with them. And people also find them exhausting to be around.

If everyone was like this, the world would be a much harsher place where it's more difficult to form relationships because you would find far fewer people with whom you could properly "gel". It wouldn't be some utopia of honesty where everyone was joyful and truly themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

If my wife (of 11 years) heard me and my mates on a night out she'd probably divorce me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

oLoonatic wrote: »
    Everyone acts different depending on their company. Whether you want to admit it or realise it.

Some to much greater extent than others. I know some people who have 3 or 4 wildly differing personalities depending on who is around. It make's me extremely distrustful of them.

I don't think I change too much from person to person or from location to location. I tend to curse a lot and if I'm in any sort of formal setting I have to try to keep a lid on that but that's all I can think of really. Even that would be rare as I work in construction / manufacturing and most of the people around me are dragged up knackers so bad language is expected more so than frowned upon:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

Ush1 wrote: »
    Woman who is best mates with a bloke, lives with a bloke and goes for pints with bloke but not going out with bloke but also says c*nt.

Edgy.

How is that edgy? You've obviously lived a sheltered life if that's what you consider edgy!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭oLoonatic

Porklife wrote: »
    How is that edgy? You've obviously lived a sheltered life if that's what you consider edgy!

Only short of saying you should be in some sort of food preparation area!!

oLoonatic wrote: »
    Only short of saying you should be in some sort of food preparation area!!

No idea what you mean..

If my wife (of 11 years) heard me and my mates on a night out she'd probably divorce me.

Hahaha.. I was thinking that last night after regaling one of my crazier stories. I was thinking how ill never ever tell him about that night and how id never express myself in such a vulgar way in front of him or he'd end it instantly!
    Funny story to tell a friend though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I get what you mean, OP. Do you think that your OH would gel just as well with that 'version' of you or is it the one he knows now that attracts him to you?

Pyr0 wrote: »
    I get what you mean, OP. Do you think that your OH would gel just as well with that 'version' of you or is it the one he knows now that attracts him to you?

Pyr0, it's that exact question that got me thinking last night. I was thinking... If he was a fly on the wall right now watching me, would he still wanna be with me. Honest answer is, I don't think so. I think he'd still like me and I'm sure he'd find my stories funny and entertaining but I reckon he'd like his partner to be more demure. I think being ladylike and classy is sexier and more attractive than being a tomboy. I don't want my male friends to be attracted to me sexually so I'll act however I want and won't make an effort to be classy or sexy.
    I think he'd lose his attraction to me if he saw me acting so brass. I may be wrong, it's not like I'm a nun around him or completely different. I'm still me, just toned way down.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Was having a few pints with my flatmate last night who's also my best mate. We were having a laugh, chatting away freely about everything. Around him, especially if we're drinking, I'm completely myself uncensored. I'd tell him my worst stories for comic effect, use language like c*unt, act boisterous and generally have no filter. He knows me instead out.
    It got me thinking though, I'd never act that way in front of my boyfriend. I alter my behaviour massively around him. I act way more demure and for want of a better word, ladylike. I still curse and act the maggot but I dilute my wilder stories and tell them in a more coy way.
    I've noticed this with my friends too. The lads act one way around me but the minute their girlfriends arrive, they tone it down and reign in the lad talk (again for want of a better term!).
    Are you guys the same way and if so, does it mean your partner doesn't truly know you? Should we all be completely unfiltered and 100% ourselves around our partners /potential partners or is a bit of acting par for the course?
    I also act differently around guys I fancy. I become all sweet and demure but in reality I'm a bit of a brass tomboy. Maybe I'm just a schizophrenic :)

What age are you, you sound and are acting like a teenage, do you lack confidence in yourself or something?

• Advertisement

mariaalice wrote: »
    What age are you, you sound and are acting like a teenage, do you lack confidence in yourself or something?

Having a few pints and a laugh is only for teenagers now is it? Get over yourself love :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Hmmm ..... Are you just insecure , or fishing for other peoples stories?

Either (or neither) way , something strange here .......
    Best of luck with your dual persona's

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Aegir wrote: »
    once you've farted in front of your partner, all taboos miraculously vanish.

I'd recommend doing it as early in the relationship as possible.

I love that a boardsie called Fart liked this post :D

I can never understand how some people are going out for years and have never farted in front of their partner. Are they not uncomfortable holding them in?

I love that a boardsie called Fart liked this post :D

I can never understand how some people are going out for years and have never farted in front of their partner. Are they not uncomfortable holding them in?

I have never and would never.. some things are best done in solitude. Do you not think it kinda kills romance? Like couples who p*ss and sh*t in front of each other. I'm all for intimacy but bathroom stuff is definitely my alone time. I don't see how it brings you closer as a couple, if anything it would turn me off my partner, same goes for farting. Do you not find it gross?
    Not getting at ya btw, just asking! :)

greenspurs wrote: »
    Hmmm ..... Are you just insecure , or fishing for other peoples stories?

Either (or neither) way , something strange here .......
    Best of luck with your dual persona's

Far from insecure dude, no need to worry about me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

My guess is that you're acting the boisterous ladette around your friend, every bit as much as you're acting demure and ladylike around your boyfriend.

I very much doubt that either persona is "100% yourself."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

If it isn't edgy, why did you create this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,414 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I bet in your head you added a "cvnt!" after that sentence :D

My guess is that you're acting the boisterous ladette around your friend, every bit as much as you're acting demure and ladylike around your boyfriend.

I very much doubt that either persona is the "100% yourself."

I've known my friend since childhood and we've been through the mill together.. bereavements, weddings, breaks ups, break downs. I'm in no way acting around him, I'm being completely myself.

• Advertisement

Ush1 wrote: »
    If it isn't edgy, why did you create this thread?

Certainly not to be edgy.. Jesus Christ, what is it with some posters on here? It's Friday afternoon and I'm a bit bored a work. I started a friendly thread and as always, I'm getting stick of people. I've been called immature, insecure and now edgy :)

It's just a lighthearted topic and was on my mind so I posted it. No hidden meanings or trying to be anything other than distracted at work! I'm just killing time till I can go home and after hours is a good place to do that albeit a little frosty at times. Cheer the f*ck up you c*nt!

Advertisement